PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40 Opinions Wanted

s2000news
07-11-2008, 4:53 PM
Hello all,

I am a very happy Sig owner, have 2 P226 .40s and a P225 P6 9mm. I expect the P226 will be my favorite handgun for some time... but was looking to add to the collection. I also have a XD40, and enjoy shooting it as well.

I wanted to purchase a M&P .40 for my next handgun. I held one today for the first time, seems like a nice gun. I am not Glock lover, and I was worried the feel of the M&P would be close to a Glock. Didn't at all seem the same, but some similarities. Overall I liked the feel.

So, my question to all of you, what opinions do you have of the M&P .40, something you would buy or not buy? I simply want to buy a gun that will be a nice shooter and no major issues.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I did search a bit here, but most threads were comparisons to other guns, not a specific M&P review.

Slayer
07-11-2008, 5:01 PM
Great gun. Great ergonomics, reliable as hell.

steadyrock
07-11-2008, 5:12 PM
I was considering the M&P in .40S&W versus a Springfield XD in the same caliber. I am a relatively inexperienced handgun shooter, but when I tried both back-to-back at Raahauge's Sports Fair last month I found I did *not* like the M&P trigger at all. I am not a fan of trigger safety mechanisms, but I find it much easier to adjust to the XD (and Glock)-style split trigger versus the S&W "hinged trigger" design. Plus, the trigger travel was much too far for my liking. I was turned off to the M&P handguns after firing just 5 rounds, and I'm pretty picky. I'll be purchasing an XD when I can scrape up the money. Just my $0.02.

Gregchico
07-11-2008, 5:22 PM
My fullsize 9, 40 & 45acp M&Ps have been flawless (except semi wad cutters in my 45). My subcompact 40 did not work too well for me so I sold it, but I hear S&W addressed the issues I was having since fixed them. I really like them and recommend them to anybody looking for that type of pistol.
They also should have some kind of rebate with them to make it a little easier to swallow the price for a plastic gun.

Springfield45
07-11-2008, 9:14 PM
In my opinion the M&P is a third generation S&W Sigma with several improvements. The sigma is very close in design to the Glock (S&W got sued by Glock over it) The trigger seems to be of the same design on both the Sigma and M&P. A lot people don't like the triggers on Sigma's at all. I have a first gen. Sigma that shoots very good, I guess I got lucky. If you are comfortable with double action revolvers it should not bother you to much. The M&P appears to have a Sig Sauer type take down latch on it. However I don't think the extra price for the M&P is worth it for the new look.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sigma40f.jpg
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw-mp-auto.jpg

Gnote
07-11-2008, 9:21 PM
Have an M&P40 and am really impressed with it. I don't think you will be disappointed. When researching, I found a lot of positive reviews.

cush
07-12-2008, 1:14 AM
I've had no issues with a few thousand rounds thru my M&P .40.
If I do my part it is also very accurate.
-cush

Bukowski
07-12-2008, 7:50 AM
I've owned both the Sigma and M&P's. I bought the M&P in .45 and 9mm, I traded the Sigma.

Though similar in appearance to the still-produced Sigma lineup, the M&P is a new design. Many of the ergonomic study elements that had been incorporated into the Sigma and the SW99 were brought over to the M&P. The improved trigger weight and feel, and unique takedown method (not requiring a dry pull of the trigger) were meant to set the M&P apart from both the Sigma and the popular Glock pistols.

The M&P's single-action trigger is identical to the Sigma with it's lever-action trigger safety, but the trigger action itself has been greatly improved over the Sigma design, reducing the pull weight to 6-1/2 lbs, almost 3 lbs less than that of the Sigma.

SnWnMe
07-12-2008, 8:23 AM
The Sigma is nothing like the M&P. The similarity starts/ends with the look of the hinged trigger. The feel is completely different when you pull it.

Exiledviking
07-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I have a M&P 9mm with close to 5000 rounds thru it and I love it.

The trigger is easily improved with some good lube and dry firing.

The 40 M&P is one, if not THE, softest recoiling 40's I have ever fired.
The first time I shot an M&P was when I shot a friend of mine's 40 and I immediately ordered a M&P 9mm afterwards.

Springfield45
07-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the old S&W Sigma. When I got it I dry fired it a lot to get used to the trigger. It soon smoothed out and feels very smooth to me now. It has made me a better shot because I practice so much with it and now any double action I shoot is easily deal with. But it is unmistakable to say the new M&P is not related to the Sigma. I would bet my life on the sigma for carry, duty, or SHTF gun. If the M&P is related to the sigma it would be a good choice all so. I do not own a M&P but I would very much like to see side by side (disassembled) how they match up.

veeklog
07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Love the M&P. Great gun; would love to carry for work. Unfortunately, had to trade in a Glock 19 for a Sig 229 DAK. Really crappy gun!!!!

Slayer
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the old S&W Sigma. When I got it I dry fired it a lot to get used to the trigger. It soon smoothed out and feels very smooth to me now. It has made me a better shot because I practice so much with it and now any double action I shoot is easily deal with. But it is unmistakable to say the new M&P is not related to the Sigma. I would bet my life on the sigma for carry, duty, or SHTF gun. If the M&P is related to the sigma it would be a good choice all so. I do not own a M&P but I would very much like to see side by side (disassembled) how they match up.

WRONG! Oh, so wrong. The sigma and M&P share no parts whatsoever. The hinged trigger is the only thing that makes them "similar". The M&P is a far superior firearm.

Ironchef
07-13-2008, 11:28 AM
The M&P seems like a very well done redo of the "flopped" Sigma. And it's easily a contender, and I believe the winner, among it's Glock and XD counterparts having shot the three, compared the features, etc. So naturally, my heavy bias is for the M&P. It's trigger is intended to be a snap, like the Glock trigger...however, like the Glock, the M&P can easily be smoothed and lightened in this do-it-yourself instructional (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf) by the master M&P smith Dan Burwell (go to mp-pistol forums for more info and reviews).

Concord PD uses the M&P 40 after using the S&W 99 for years and it seems to have been received nicely.

DANGERCLOSE
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
like you, i did a lot of research and reading thru reviews before buying my m&p 40. i have been nothing but pleased with it. the ergonimics are great, especially when shooting weak hand only. the palm swell grips are great to fit the gun to you. sights are nice and solid, though i never use the dots. the magazine release in comparison to an xd is superior. i didnt like how far you have to rotate the xd in the hand just to release a mag. mags drop out the well pretty slick. i dont have any problems with the trigger whatsoever. one thing that caught me off guard a bit was, when doing an emergency reload / slide lock, that the slide would go forward after inserting the magazine without activating the slide release or racking the slide. happens some of the time. not a bad thing when you get used to it and it always chambered a round like this. also, it feels like shooting a 9mm. this has replaced my 1911 for carry and i plan to use it for idpa. now all i need to do is get one in .45

ocbruin
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
For what it's worth, when I tested an M&P .40, I did not find it completely to my liking. The trigger and overall weight and balance put it behind the XD for me (still in front of Glocks). I must admit that I did not try changing backstraps, etc.

I think the only thing you can really do to break a tie is shoot the weapons and pick one for yourself. I don't think any us have to affirm that the M&P is a solid contender. Some heresay remarks on other forums have not been as happy with the M&P reliability-wise, but many have been perfectly satisfied, so YMMV. As I'm sure you know, it's a newer weapon, so it does not have as extensive a track record to look to.

walter
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
i shot a m&p 40 yesterday. didnt feel right in my hand btu shot decently accurate. i dont like the look either. im gonna try a 9mm today or tomorrow and if i can shoot it fairly accurate im going to buy an xd. lol yea weird huh.

natedogg1777
07-14-2008, 1:12 PM
I love mine, especially after an action job (not just a trigger job) dropping the trigger pull to ~3.5 lbs. I didn't have an issue with the trigger pull beforehand, it was more or less a "Hey I have an extra $100 so why not?"! IMO, the ergonomics are really what sets it above a lot of other guns I have shot - fits my hand perfectly, making it a great point and shoot gun, especially for the price.

Vectrexer
07-14-2008, 2:42 PM
I own the S&W M&P 40. My initial choice was based on the limitation of my own hand ergonomics. The M&P and HK P2000 were tied neck and neck for the feel and use in my hand. Springfield, Glock and several other brands .40's were eliminated in the process. The only modification I would have made to my purchase would be to buy it with factory night sights.

Since purchasing the S&W M&P 40 I have put over 2000 rounds down the barrel and loved most every round.

I also own the Steyr M40-A1. I found out (realized) about the Steyr later and picked one up after shooting a friend's Steyr. The Steyr has gotten more range time lately than the S&W.

The M&P is a fine pistol. For my hand the Steyr turned out to be just as good plus it eat more ammo type than the M&P does. Granted the main problem I have with ammo is the Miwall reload Ammo. But then most everybody with have the same problem. For the rest of the major brand ammo the M&P does just fine.

I still have the M&P .40 to this day. The pistol remains ready for action with quality .40 ammo loaded. It's a toss up as to which .40 get's drawn first. Hopefully the day will never come for either to be drawn except at the range. :-)

You could do much worse than purchasing an Smith and Wesson M&P .40.

natedogg1777
07-14-2008, 3:09 PM
I own the S&W M&P 40. My initial choice was based on the limitation of my own hand ergonomics. The M&P and HK P2000 were tied neck and neck for the feel and use in my hand. Springfield, Glock and several other brands .40's were eliminated in the process. The only modification I would have made to my purchase would be to buy it with factory night sights.

Since purchasing the S&W M&P 40 I have put over 2000 rounds down the barrel and loved most every round.

I also own the Steyr M40-A1. I found out (realized) about the Steyr later and picked one up after shooting a friend's Steyr. The Steyr has gotten more range time lately than the S&W.

The M&P is a fine pistol. For my hand the Steyr turned out to be just as good plus it eat more ammo type than the M&P does. Granted the main problem I have with ammo is the Miwall reload Ammo. But then most everybody with have the same problem. For the rest of the major brand ammo the M&P does just fine.

I still have the M&P .40 to this day. The pistol remains ready for action with quality .40 ammo loaded. It's a toss up as to which .40 get's drawn first. Hopefully the day will never come for either to be drawn except at the range. :-)

You could do much worse than purchasing an Smith and Wesson M&P .40.

Hmmm...it's interesting that you say that about Miwall ammo. I use that almost exclusively for plinking with my M&P40 now because of cost - after about 1000 rounds of the stuff (2 different cans from 2 different lots) I've had zero issues!

bwiese
07-14-2008, 3:15 PM
Ever so-slightly OT, I have an M&P45 w/manual safety and love it.

Got rid of my Glock 21.

Gonna get the shorter M&P45 when it's available, or buy another M&P45 and drop the shorter "Commander" slide on it.

13luck
07-14-2008, 3:20 PM
M&P are great guns.

I have a lot of high end 1911 and more. The M&P shoots just like them but way better value.

They are way diffrent then a glock.

I like that you can adjust the grips for your hand size like a P99.

Scorpiusdeus
07-14-2008, 3:32 PM
O.K. here's my story. I have pretty much the same guns as you plus a few more. For em, the P226 has always been handgun nirvana.

I bought a used M&P .40 S&W from a buddy I shoot with. I really like it. It's VERY accurate and it feels great in your hand.

Now, mine was an earlier model I believe and so I seem to have most of the teething issues. I sent it in about three months or more ago for the magazine drop issue. The magazine would just fall out ever few shots. ot it back in three weeks, no muss no fuss and it was fixed. More recently I have had issues with brass ejecting back into my head and face. At 1K plus rounds this should not be happening anymore. I also had a few problems with the magazine insertion being impeded by a stuck magazine safety(?). in addition to that I'm also having a problem with the slide slamming forward when the magazine is inserted. These are NOT user error. It's been duplicated by others. I contacted S&W, they sent me an shipping number and info and off it went last week.

Despite the issues I've had, I'm committed to making this gun work for me. Accurate, light, great ergos, and very tame recoil in the snappy .40 S&W make me want this gun to succeed.

Most folks who have bought more recent production models are NOT having these issues and they love the M&Ps.

Sydwaiz
07-14-2008, 3:35 PM
I wanted a Glock at first but couldn't get past the grip and trigger safety. I absolutely love my M&P 40! You don't even feel the trigger safety on the M&P. Accurate too!

bigdave1121
07-14-2008, 3:37 PM
I love my M&P in 40. I highly recommend it.

S&W has tammed the "jumpiness" of the 40S&W in the M&P better than any other polymer gun I've ever fired.

Sydwaiz
07-14-2008, 3:59 PM
S&W has tammed the "jumpiness" of the 40S&W in the M&P better than any other polymer gun I've ever fired.

Fiocchi is still kinda jumpy though IMO compared to other plinking ammo!

s2000news
07-14-2008, 9:13 PM
Well, I'm sold on the M&P .40.

Will find a deal and pick one up.

Thanks guys!

Standard
07-14-2008, 9:25 PM
Another +1.
Love my M&P .40.

munkeeboi
07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Just got one from another user on the site...haven't shot it yet, but this thread makes me excited to shoot it for the first time!

Vectrexer
07-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Hmmm...it's interesting that you say that about Miwall ammo. I use that almost exclusively for plinking with my M&P40 now because of cost - after about 1000 rounds of the stuff (2 different cans from 2 different lots) I've had zero issues!

Yes Miwall issues. maybe it is the M&P, maybe not. In any case the M&P 40 eats a lots of other stuff without issue in 155, 170 and 180 FMJ from Fiocchi, Magtech Winchester, Remington and S&B. So there is no lack of choice. :)

I also have some problems with the new manufacture 9MM 115 JHP from Miwall. This last week I have had a total of 7 jams from this ammo out of almost 300 rounds shot. This was from a 500 round purchase. The ammo would get stuck part of the way during insertion. Before you mention it I have already sent an email off to Miwall about the matter. I may call them as well just to let them know.