PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 1201Fp

Grandpa1
07-11-2008, 3:37 PM
Just got a Beretta 1201FP 12 GA. Any suggestions as to a good recoil pad and sling? I heard that loading up this weapon with accessories could inhibit operation. I was hopping to put a light on it for 2 gun or 3 gun. Any feedback?

randy
07-11-2008, 6:05 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade but that isn't a good platform for 3 gun. You can't put a mag extension on it. If you could almost the last thing you would need for a 3 gun match is a light. I think West End has a night match once or twice a year.

I could be wrong on the mag extension but doesn't the nut screw on like a mossberg and no room for a tube?

Grandpa1
07-11-2008, 8:11 PM
Thanks randy. I have never shot anything but IDPA but heard about two and three gun matches. I just figured that if it was at night, you would need a light. A friend mentioned that you probably don't even need a sling for the matches the way they are set up. I was aware of the limitations of a mag extension as the barrel fits onto a bolt at the end of the mag tube. Are you saying that 6 + 1 is not enough for these matches? Any help on a recoil pad?

randy
07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Limited class in 3 gun is 8+1 open is more.

gotgunz
07-12-2008, 4:13 PM
I have a 1201FP and it was fairly brutal to shoot with the factory stock.

I installed a pistol grip stock from a Benelli which has a rubber pad built in and it is much more enjoyable now.

You may look into that to make the recoil more tolerable.

What did you have to give for it btw? If you don't mine telling.

Grandpa1
07-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your input blackedoutharley. I have ordered a limbsaver already as I tried one on a friendís Benelli. If it doesn't work out, I will try your suggestion. Is the length on the pistol grip stock less than the stock on the1201FP? I can already see that the limbsaver is going to add at least an inch to the already too long length. Is the pistol grip stock legal in the people's republic of CA?

As for the cost; Ades Guns on Tustin Ave. in Orange, CA had 2 on the shelf for either $600.00 or $700.00 the last time I was in there. I am fairly certain that they are both unfired and in new condition. They both have rifle sights and a 6 pack side saddle.

Randy,
Looks like I'll be doing a lot of reloading if I use this weapon in a 3 gun. I will be going to watch the next 3 gun at West End to see what I will be getting myself into.

RogueSniper
08-20-2008, 6:16 PM
I'm interested in how this information is going to pan out, too. I have a Beretta 1201FP (bought it in the 90s for <$400) and I'd like it to be more comfortable and manageable, too. 3" Magnum are bruisers. I've got it loaded with PMC 2 3/4 "Low Recoil" 00 9 shot. Bit more manageable.

gotgunz,
Did you have to do any modifications to the Beretta 1201FP in order to install the M1S90 PG Stock? Just saw an ATI PG adjustable stocks on a shotgun. Nice to look at, good ergo b/c of the 3-position adjustment, but they're all plastic. Needs a cheek weld.

I have a 1201FP and it was fairly brutal to shoot with the factory stock.

I installed a pistol grip stock from a Benelli which has a rubber pad built in and it is much more enjoyable now.

You may look into that to make the recoil more tolerable.

What did you have to give for it btw? If you don't mine telling.

Grandpa1
08-21-2008, 8:08 PM
gotgunz & RogueSniper,
I just put the Limbsaver on a few days ago and the bottom hole did not line up. I still was able to mount it but, as, I mentioned before, it sure makes the stock longer. (I know there is a term for that, but it escapes me at the moment) In any event, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. When I do, I will post the results.... Just in case it doesn't measure up, what was the identifying info on the pistol grip stock you mentioned? If I disasemble the stock Is there a way to modify the bracket inside so I can cut-down the end of the stock?

If any one is interested, Ade's Guns still has a brand new 1201FP, un-fired with rifle sights and a 6-pack side saddle. He is in Orange, CA on Tustin, just South of Chapman on the East side of the street. He is a great guy and will work with you. His # is 714-744-3373. I have purchased two handguns and a rifle from him and believe I got a fair deal each time.