PDA

View Full Version : What is "striker fired"

Waldog
07-11-2008, 2:53 PM
What does it mean when someone says semi-auto pistols are "stiker fired"? How is that different than your standard firing pin, trigger, sear and spring?

sb_pete
07-11-2008, 2:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_%28firearms%29
Lot of previous discussions here. Use the search button maybe. Here is a wikipedia article anyways...

trinydex
07-11-2008, 2:58 PM
i believe there's no hammer or exposed hammer.

i.e. glock, s&w m&p, springfield armory xd

oh some other stuff, they're typically a "single action" "operation" as in you can't pull the trigger twice without pulling the slide. so no double tapping hard primers so to speak.

bohoki
07-11-2008, 4:14 PM
striker fired is when the firing pin is springloaded and is released to fly foward

its not a very good term being that all firing pins strike the primer areas so technically all firing pins are strikers

bolt actions are striker fired so its is a pretty popular method of firing

saxman
07-11-2008, 5:53 PM
i believe there's no hammer or exposed hammer.

i.e. glock, s&w m&p, springfield armory xd

oh some other stuff, they're typically a "single action" "operation" as in you can't pull the trigger twice without pulling the slide. so no double tapping hard primers so to speak.

my P99 is striker fired, DA/SA action(along with a third mode which is really more of a SA pull with the length of the DA pull)... will double tap primers as much as anyway could ask.

trinydex
07-11-2008, 5:56 PM
aaahh thats a new one to me coo.

i figured theres gotta be something like that out there

goathead
07-11-2008, 7:16 PM
24/7 taurus also will double tap its SA/DA

tiko
07-11-2008, 8:23 PM
On the striker fired, the energy transfer to the firing pin is from the spring around it, the trigger is to release the firing pin from its potential energy and move forward to kinetic energy.
On the other DA/SA, the kinetic energy from the hammer transfer to the firing pin to move it forward.

MustangO4
07-11-2008, 8:38 PM
don't think hammer and nail, think pinball machine. Do they even still have those?

tonelar
07-12-2008, 5:54 PM
That Czech VZ58 is striker fired.