View Full Version : Back in California

07-11-2008, 2:48 PM
Greetings folks!

I have recently moved back here after living in Utah helping a start up get on its feet. Now I am back here with another start up. Many years ago I helped start the criminal investigations group at PayPal and worked there almost 7 yrs finally leaving there to go to work in Utah.

I loved Utah and loved being able to buy fun stuff but missed California. We kept our home there and blah blah blah.

I joined Calguns because a coworker told me about Calguns being behind most of the good challenges to bad laws here in California. While I am not a lawyer I am a high tech crimes investigator, financial crimes investigator and risk management guy. I am pretty good at research and fact finding.

Plus my wife would prefer I didn't hang out at the house and bother her so much :)

I am going to go check out the legal issues threads and see if I can help the cause.

I am a FIRM believer that the system does work I think Heller is proof of that and I hope we can fix some of the violations of our RKBA.

07-11-2008, 2:49 PM
Welcome back, and welcome to CalGuns. Once I leave California, it's for good. I've never really felt at home here anyway.

07-11-2008, 3:00 PM
Welcome back. I have had some nice interactions with the security people at PayPal. While they did not always solve the issue at least someone other than a first line support person called or emailed back and understood the nature of the issue at the time.

07-11-2008, 3:11 PM
Thanks. You know when I lived here before orginally being from Georgia I felt like a fish out of water. I HATED here couldn't wait to leave. Everything was wrong and bad from too much traffic, to liberals to OMG we can't even have a hot day without brown outs.

I realized I missed California as did my beautiful wife about 2 days after we left. So we are glad to be back.

I am glad you were helped by PayPal. I built the criminal investigations group and when eBay acquired us I ran their investigations as well. Contrary to many we did try to do the right thing and we did start off as a 2A friendly company but long story short Mastercard and Visa make the rules. Contary to all the internet rumors.

I work for a start up payments company now that has no anti 2A policy but I don't want to turn this thread in to an advertisement and honestly we are a bit away from being a system that works well for merchants.

thanks again for the welcome

Matt C
07-11-2008, 3:13 PM

07-11-2008, 7:23 PM
I hope you have good success with your new venture. I am also with a startup and can only say that a viable alternative to Paypal is desperately needed.