PDA

View Full Version : Transforming a Henry Survival Rifle (AR7)

BroncoBob
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Well I got a little bored and decided I would take my Henry Survival Rifle (22lr) and have some fun with it. So I went on line and purchased a bull barrel with a ventilated hand shroud, and a pistol grip conversion kit with the steel rod buttstock and started to morph the little rifle into something interesting. Well after putting the barrel, shroud, pistol grip and the steel rod buttstock I just didn't like the looks of the steel rod buttstock. So I decided I was going to fit an A2 buttstock I had in my cabinet to the rifle. Only problem was I needed an adapter to accomplish this task. So I made a templet, purchased a castle nut and went to a local welding shop. I had the guy fabricate my adapter out a piece of steel per my templet and welded on the castle nut to it. I took my part home and painted my new custom adapter black to match the rifle and fitted the adapter on to the rifle. I then screwed on the empty buffer tube then slid on the A2 buttstock. Topped the rifle off with a Tasco 22 scope and my project was complete. By no means is this a tack driver compared to my Spikes Tactical ST22 but I won't get upset if it gets kicked around either.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-016S-1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-018F.jpg

bohoki
07-11-2008, 4:21 PM
cool you ar-15ed up your ar7

i L1a1ed up my ar7

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_5135.jpg

fairfaxjim
07-11-2008, 4:35 PM
It's starting to look like a Feather USA. Did you buy the bull barrel and shroud from them? Did it bolt right on to the AR7?

BroncoBob
07-11-2008, 5:42 PM
It's starting to look like a Feather USA. Did you buy the bull barrel and shroud from them? Did it bolt right on to the AR7?

I purchased the barrel and shroud from AR-7 Customized Accessories @ AR7.com The barrel slips right in and the shroud screws right on the threaded end of the receiver. Took about 30 seconds to do. The part number for both the bull steel barrel and shroud is #87 and costs $84.95.

BroncoBob
07-11-2008, 5:49 PM
cool you ar-15ed up your ar7

i L1a1ed up my ar7

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_5135.jpg

It was my intent to make it as close to an AR-15 as I could. I have just over $300.00 into it including the cost of the rifle itself.. Can't include the price of the A2 stock since it was sitting in my cabinet from when I bought my RRA Varmint 4 rifle and fitted it with a U15stock to get around the mag issues. I also have an extended bolt on it. Hard to tell. It does make charging a lot easier. How did you attach your L1A1 stock to your AR-7?

jmlivingston
07-11-2008, 5:58 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-018F.jpg

Nice! Frankly, I think I like that better than most of the AR15-style 22's I've seen.

John

BroncoBob
07-11-2008, 6:10 PM
Nice! Frankly, I think I like that better than most of the AR15-style 22's I've seen.

John

John: Thanks for the kind words....... Most people prefer the tack driving models. This one I can get dirty, drop it and not worry. The nice part is that it didn't cost 1/3 that my Spikes ST-22 cost. The only tricky part is the adapter for the A2 stock. It also has to line up with the pre-drilled holes in the back of the receiver and it also is what the pistol grip screws onto.

Bob

bohoki
07-11-2008, 6:52 PM
It was my intent to make it as close to an AR-15 as I could. I have just over $300.00 into it including the cost of the rifle itself.. Can't include the price of the A2 stock since it was sitting in my cabinet from when I bought my RRA Varmint 4 rifle and fitted it with a U15stock to get around the mag issues. I also have an extended bolt on it. Hard to tell. It does make charging a lot easier. How did you attach your L1A1 stock to your AR-7?

whoo now this is a story and a half

i basically started with the L1A1 furinture kit from sportsmans guide because i wanted to put the flashhider and bayonet on my 10/22 (i eventually sold that barrel)

so i had this horrible stock and useless pistolgrip

i thought hey i bet i could mount that on the ar7
the pistol grip has the void in the front to attach to the original gun so i made a little filler piece out of some plastic from a electronics project box

i made a little adapter block out of wood

but in order to attach everything it takes a bit of luck
and you have to remember the bolt that goes to the ar-7 goes in at a kind of weird compound angle

see the bottom of the block has to have a little curve to keep the pistol grip from rotating and has to have a rear tang like a milled ak to keep the butt from rotating

its not that hard you need a long bolt to attach the butt to a nut glued into the adapter

you attach the block to the ar-7 then attach the pistol grip to the adapter then you got to jiggle that long bolt into the hole and tighten

then i realized that the fal L1a1 stock is extremely short

i think that was brilliant how you used a telestock nut to attach a buffer tube

BroncoBob
07-12-2008, 6:20 AM
whoo now this is a story and a half

i basically started with the L1A1 furinture kit from sportsmans guide because i wanted to put the flashhider and bayonet on my 10/22 (i eventually sold that barrel)

so i had this horrible stock and useless pistolgrip

i thought hey i bet i could mount that on the ar7
the pistol grip has the void in the front to attach to the original gun so i made a little filler piece out of some plastic from a electronics project box

i made a little adapter block out of wood

but in order to attach everything it takes a bit of luck
and you have to remember the bolt that goes to the ar-7 goes in at a kind of weird compound angle

see the bottom of the block has to have a little curve to keep the pistol grip from rotating and has to have a rear tang like a milled ak to keep the butt from rotating

its not that hard you need a long bolt to attach the butt to a nut glued into the adapter

you attach the block to the ar-7 then attach the pistol grip to the adapter then you got to jiggle that long bolt into the hole and tighten

then i realized that the fal L1a1 stock is extremely short

i think that was brilliant how you used a telestock nut to attach a buffer tube

bohoki: Sorry about getting my response mixed up with John.
But Yikes, wow you where not kidding when you said it was a story and half. I went thru just about the same thing just trying to figure out how to get the A2 stock on. I just kept looking at the alumimum adapter that came with the the steel rod buttstock and said there has to be a way. What really brought my idea to light was I looked at one of my other AR15's with a 6 position stock on it and "WAM" it hit me. I knew exactly what needed to be done. Only thing blocing my way was $$$$ and finding a welder / fabricator to put my idea into reality. $50.00 bucks and a few hours later I had my prized adapter. I'm sure at some point someone will market this idea and make some money off it. For now it's one of.

:)

GuyW
07-12-2008, 5:05 PM
...and started to morph the little rifle into something interesting.

I thought my Charter Arms AR-7 WAS interesting - that's why I bought it.

But if you're happy now, I'm happy, too....

BroncoBob
07-12-2008, 5:52 PM
I thought my Charter Arms AR-7 WAS interesting - that's why I bought it.

But if you're happy now, I'm happy, too....

It's just much better now. Thanks for your concern.

bigthaiboy
07-12-2008, 6:23 PM
I have my Henry Survival set up just like yours was originally with the parts from ar-7.com, except for the bull barrel (I just put the shroud over the original barrel).

How does the ar-7 bull barrel compare to the factory barrel for accuracy?

BroncoBob
07-12-2008, 8:46 PM
I have my Henry Survival set up just like yours was originally with the parts from ar-7.com, except for the bull barrel (I just put the shroud over the original barrel).

How does the ar-7 bull barrel compare to the factory barrel for accuracy?

Bull barrel is a little bit better in holding the groups, besides weighing 2.5 - 3 time the weight of the orginial plastic with a steel sleeve. How did you attach the A2 stock?