PDA

View Full Version : Can we legally own a threaded barrel?

modenar1
07-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I want to get a a threaded barrel for one my glocks. I will not be using this on my pistol here in California, but i frequently visit a friend of mine in Vegas, and he has a few 9mm suppressors, and we go shootin in the desert. i was wondering if i can buy one, and not install it on my pistol, and use it only when i go out of state.

Please let me know.

thanks.

pullnshoot25
07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I want to get a a threaded barrel for one my glocks. I will not be using this on my pistol here in California, but i frequently visit a friend of mine in Vegas, and he has a few 9mm suppressors, and we go shootin in the desert. i was wondering if i can buy one, and not install it on my pistol, and use it only when i go out of state.

Please let me know.

thanks.

I would assume that is legal. You can have the parts but not assemble it, right?

Suvorov
07-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Without a threaded barrel, your pistol is NOT an assault weapon. Constructive possession of the barrel is not prohibited. Just don't get caught in the PRK with the barrel in the pistol.

modenar1
07-11-2008, 11:28 AM
thats what i always thought, but want to make sure, before i make a purchase. Maybe the more knowledgeable can educate.

happy_gunner
07-11-2008, 6:56 PM
Without a threaded barrel, your pistol is NOT an assault weapon. Constructive possession of the barrel is not prohibited. Just don't get caught in the PRK with the barrel in the pistol.

on the money:D

Saigon1965
07-11-2008, 6:58 PM
Unless it's a RAW HK Tactical.

rayra
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Considering what the CA-DOJ pulled re the P22, you'd be better off leaving the barrel with your friend in Vegas.

eta - and yes, I know the letter of the law covers you, and I've used the letter of the law to extract my own *** from a legal crack, but I'm saying it opens the door for a lot of hassle in this really f'ed up state where law enforcement quite often doesn't know the law when it comes to firearm.

leelaw
07-12-2008, 1:24 AM
The barrel is not banned as a part.

Constructive possession does not apply to assault weapons in California.

Thus, it is legal to own the threaded barrel, but DO NOT have it installed into the pistol while inside California.

Suvorov
07-12-2008, 8:39 AM
Unless it's a RAW HK Tactical.

And just what would someone pay for such a thing :confused:

pottymouth310
07-12-2008, 9:36 AM
but what about guns that come with a threadded barrel? ex: HK MK23?

TonyM
07-12-2008, 10:07 AM
but what about guns that come with a threadded barrel? ex: HK MK23?

They had to be registered by 01/01/2000 as Assault Weapons. Otherwise the threads had to be removed or the barrel replaced with a non-threaded barrel.

NotSoFast
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
So if you get the barrel with the threads, leave it with your buddy in Nevada. That way you're legal here and you can have fun there. The only problem would be buying one with a CA address...unless you buy it out of state.

Saigon1965
07-12-2008, 1:21 PM
And just what would someone pay for such a thing :confused:

Then or now? can't get it in CA.

Suvorov
07-12-2008, 1:23 PM
Then or now? can't get it in CA.

Say someone moved here with one and has since replaced the barrel?

Saigon1965
07-12-2008, 1:25 PM
Say someone moved here with one and has since replaced the barrel?

I think that's gtg. I reg mine back then.

Fjold
07-12-2008, 3:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00517.jpg

DrunkSkunk
07-12-2008, 3:41 PM
can buy one, and not install it on my pistol, and use it only when i go out of state.

Yes
Enjoy

JTROKS
07-12-2008, 3:46 PM
Fjold,
That looks like a Centaur System Barrel. What is that chambered for? Did you weld the compensator to the barrel to make it legal? I was told that cold weld should work. It's the accessibility of the threads that is legal, if the

Here's what the CA rule book says:
The term “assault weapon” also means any firearm that falls under one of the following definitions
pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable
magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to
accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and
any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that
allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide
that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the
pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more
than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
California Firearms Laws 2007 11
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

So if you cold weld a compensator or thread protector it will not be able to accept any of those listed bad items. Some folks say the compensator or thread protector must be soldered and pinned in place preventing removal. I'd like to see someone remove a cold weld compensator with bare hands.

Moonclip
07-12-2008, 3:52 PM
Is it even legal to install the threaded barrel in NV then attach a friends supressor to it? Even if it is I'd just leave the barrel with your friend, what use is it for you to have it with you in CA?

Riodog
07-12-2008, 4:45 PM
"The only problem would be buying one with a CA address...unless you buy it out of state."

Why is this a problem? Please explain.
The barrel isn't registered. It's exactly the same in the eyes of the law as a 'gold plated mag release'. I can have 10 threaded barrels for my 92 sitting in the same case and 'no harm-no foul'.
Rio

Fjold
07-12-2008, 7:12 PM
JTRocks,

That's a 20 year old Centaur barrel, good eye.

It's chambered in 45 ACP and it is not permanently fixed. I just don't install it on my guns anymore. I didn't feel like registering any of my 1911's as AWs so I just took it off. I think that I'm going to get another comp made for it and probably weld it on permanently.

Greg-Dawg
07-12-2008, 8:16 PM
Leave it in NV.

leelaw
07-13-2008, 1:51 AM
Is it even legal to install the threaded barrel in NV then attach a friends supressor to it? Even if it is I'd just leave the barrel with your friend, what use is it for you to have it with you in CA?

I don't like leaving my gun stuff at someone else's house. Perhaps the OP feels the same.

Moonclip
07-13-2008, 2:04 AM
It's only a barrel but to each his own and in this case I'd say leaving the barrel in NV would be quite prudent.

I'd generally not be friends with someone if I couldn't trust them enough to leave a barrel at their home.

leelaw
07-13-2008, 2:38 AM
It's only a barrel but to each his own and in this case I'd say leaving the barrel in NV would be quite prudent.

I'd generally not be friends with someone if I couldn't trust them enough to leave a barrel at their home.

Meh, hypothetically it's my [insert gun part here] which I want to maintain control over just because it's my property - not because of trust issues with the friend in question. It's completely legal for me to possess [insert gun part here] as long as I don't install it, so why fret about keeping it out of state when you can keep it under your direct control at home?

NotSoFast
07-13-2008, 1:20 PM
It's completely legal for me to possess [insert gun part here] as long as I don't install it, so why fret about keeping it out of state when you can keep it under your direct control at home?
Intent. Wouldn't it be the same as owning the parts needed to convert a rifle to full auto? If they can prove you intended to install and use it illegally, they've got you by the short and curlys.

Moonclip
07-13-2008, 3:20 PM
Intent. Wouldn't it be the same as owning the parts needed to convert a rifle to full auto? If they can prove you intended to install and use it illegally, they've got you by the short and curlys.

Some people just like to live dangerously I guess with no real benefit from it. is it legal for me to walk around Compton with a "I love the KKK" t-shirt on? Yes. Is it a good ideal and is it a good way to cause problems that were avoidable?

NotSoFast
07-14-2008, 8:29 AM
Living on the edge always brings conflict. They just haven't learned that yet.

Elucidus
07-14-2008, 2:21 PM
So if you get the barrel with the threads, leave it with your buddy in Nevada. That way you're legal here and you can have fun there. The only problem would be buying one with a CA address...unless you buy it out of state.

Got a factory HK barrel for my Mk23 shipped straight to my house... not an issue.

Had the threads removed, reblued the bare steel and called it good. :) The gun is sitting at my FFL waiting for me to pick it up.

(Bought it off someone who moved here out of state.)

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 2:26 PM
Got a factory HK barrel for my Mk23 shipped straight to my house... not an issue.

Had the threads removed, reblued the bare steel and called it good. :) The gun is sitting at my FFL waiting for me to pick it up.

(Bought it off someone who moved here out of state.)

Neato, that's the way to have those.

leelaw
07-14-2008, 9:19 PM

Nope. There is no constructive possession of an assault weapon in California.

leelaw
07-14-2008, 9:21 PM
Is it legal for me to walk around Compton with a "I love the KKK" t-shirt on? Yes. Is it a good ideal and is it a good way to cause problems that were avoidable?

That's such a poor comparison. One is possession of a gun part, which is not controlled, and is not illegal to possess in California as long as it is not installed.

The other is... well.. a death wish.

Moonclip
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Living on the edge always brings conflict. They just haven't learned that yet.

Some people like to learn things the hard way I suppose. Also, did anyone ever figure out if it is even legal in NV to attach someone elses supressor to your barrel and gun even if they are in your immediate area?