PDA

View Full Version : What is the process for a firearms license?

fullrearview
07-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Just curious? It wouldnt hurt to have more options when exercising your 2A rights to purchase!

domokun
07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Just curious? It wouldnt hurt to have more options when exercising your 2A rights to purchase!

Please clarify what you mean by "Firearms License". Do you mean a Federal Firearms License to sell/distribute/manufacture/import firearms or do you mean a license to be able to own and purchase a firearm?

fullrearview
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
sell-distribute-ect.

KDOFisch
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
There are many flavors of FFL. Each one is described here. Each has different requirements for acquisition, and different fees.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/index.htm

Go nutz.

ohsmily
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Per the ATF, you have to be in business. You can't own one simply to further your own collection.

ohsmily
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM

AMAZING! There is a whole FAQ section dedicated to licensing on the BATFE website

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#c

sorensen440
07-11-2008, 1:20 PM
Thats one thing it seems there good at
I looked into it a while back and submitted a request for the forms
3 days later I had a packet from them

Ironchef
07-11-2008, 1:31 PM
From what I gather, they are not giving licenses to home-based FFLs anymore. I believe also that you have to have a minimum amount of transfers per year/quarter, or something to maintain it. If you're only buying and keeping firearms ..and not transacting on behalf of others (aka. running an actual business), you can lose it. This from a FFL friend of mine.

fullrearview
07-11-2008, 4:04 PM
well I would like to make some money from it. thanks for the link!

Quiet
07-11-2008, 5:01 PM
You should also get to know CA Penal Code 12071.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12070.php

Librarian
07-11-2008, 7:12 PM
From what I gather, they are not giving licenses to home-based FFLs anymore. I believe also that you have to have a minimum amount of transfers per year/quarter, or something to maintain it. If you're only buying and keeping firearms ..and not transacting on behalf of others (aka. running an actual business), you can lose it. This from a FFL friend of mine.The real problem is that they're (properly) enforcing the local regulation aspect - that's been the policy all the time, but under a Prior Administration the ATF began to not renew licenses where the holders did not have a properly zoned 'store front' location and all the local business licenses.

IIRC, that reduced the number of FFLs by about 2/3 over a few years. Ah, here we go - ATF Fact Sheet (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffl/factsheets/0608-factsheet-decline_in_ffls-rev2.pdf) from June 2008 (PDF). In 1993, the overall number of FFLs was approximately 284,000. By 2007, that
number had declined to 109,000 total active licenses, indicating a decrease of 175,000
licensees. These numbers include licenses held for business purposes as well as those
held by collectors of curios and relics.

A number of factors appear to have contributed to this decrease. The Brady
Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, known as the “Brady Bill,” increased the fees
for federal firearms licenses from $10 per year to $200 for the first 3 years, and $90 for
each 3-year renewal period. The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of
1994, referred to as the “Crime Bill,” enacted requirements that applicants engaging in
firearms businesses notify the chief of their local law enforcement agency of their intent
to apply for a license, submit their responsible persons’ photographs and fingerprints with
their applications, and certify that their businesses would be in compliance with state and
local laws, including zoning regulations. Following enactment of the new law, many
federal firearms licensees who were not in compliance with local zoning ordinances
chose to voluntarily surrender or not renew their licenses.

liketoshoot
07-11-2008, 7:16 PM
From what I gather, they are not giving licenses to home-based FFLs anymore. I believe also that you have to have a minimum amount of transfers per year/quarter, or something to maintain it. If you're only buying and keeping firearms ..and not transacting on behalf of others (aka. running an actual business), you can lose it. This from a FFL friend of mine.

Yes, they will pull it if you are not a "serious" business.
I have a friend lost his due to no activity for 18 months, this happened in 2002.

OCArmory
07-11-2008, 9:06 PM
I am currently in the middle of the process. It is a pretty intimidating task once you take into effect local permits and such. Find out who your local code enforcement person is and ask them for your local info. They are the quickest and usually most correct source of info.
Mike

fullrearview
07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I am currently in the middle of the process. It is a pretty intimidating task once you take into effect local permits and such. Find out who your local code enforcement person is and ask them for your local info. They are the quickest and usually most correct source of info.
Mike

thanks for the info.