PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 Carry Question

Suvorov
07-10-2008, 9:01 PM
I picked up my new CZ-75B yesterday and am getting her ready for the range tomorrow. After playing with it a bit, it seems to me that there really was no need to make this pistol double action since it lends itself more conveniently to single action. There is no decocker and the safety only works when the hammer is back much like a 1911 or BHP. Lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber is not the safest thing to do, and to me leaving it in cocked and locked is actually safer. So this has me thinking, what would be the best/safest way to carry this gun loaded in a holster?

1) Cocked and locked - probably my preferred for this gun, consistent trigger pull and if it were taken from me, the bad guy would have to have the presence of mind to disengage the safety before firing. I admit I prefer being able to decock a pistol like I would a Beretta or Sig, but I just don't trust myself to manually lowering the hammer each time I load it.

2) Hammer down - probably safest if dropped, but most likely to cause an AD/ND when lowering the hammer. Also, does not provide a positive safety in a take away situation.

3) Hammer at half cocked - probably not much safer than cocked and locked if dropped and does not provide a positive safety. However it does seem to be easier/safer to lower on a loaded chamber and it makes the double action pull a little shorter.

So how do you guys who use the CZ do it or if we lived in a free State, how would you do it? :confused:

dwtt
07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
If you have a CZ-75B, the B indicates it has a firing pin block. As long as you don't pull the trigger, the hammer is supposed to be blocked from striking the firing pin. So, it should be safe even if you drop the pistol with the hammer cocked and a round in the chamber. All I know is what I read in the manual for mine, so maybe you might know something I don't.
Anyone know anything differently about the CZ-75B?

dasmi
07-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Cocked and locked. That's the way my CZ flies.

mike100
07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
cocked and locked with the safety using a holster, but if you have a safe place to point the pistol and you are in your house, maybe you could drop the hammer to the 1/2 cock there (not using your thumb, but your finger tips on the sides just in case it goes off and the slide comes back). It does worry me..you really need to aim into something substantial or it isn't worth the risk of a discharge.

I dropped my hammer once practicing empty going rather quickly at the time. it is possible. I'm acquiring a SA variant as well (just because of this) . Another option is the HK USP. they have all the features of the 75b but with a decocker as well. The trigger reset is a little less than perfect on those though.

gotgunz
07-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I have a 75B in 40 cal that I have on my ccw (there are parts of the state that are "free :eek:) and I have carried it both ways.

Cocked and locked is preferred as that is obviously how I carry my 1911; having said that I typically carry (carried actually; I just swapped it for my 75B compact 40 which is same set up) it hammer down as I just don't like the safety.

With the BHP or 1911 the safety actually lock into the slide where the CZ does not. You will notice that if you engage the safety and squeese the trigger the hammer will still move... that doesn't settle too well with me but as stated, the "B" means firing pin block.

I would suggest practicing decocking it while unloaded. While doing this look into the area between the hammer and firing pin and you will see the pin block work as you release the trigger while the hammer is coming down.

I just make sure to point the gun into my safe while decocking as an added safety measure... I have been carrying this gun for over 3 years so I have done it many times but accidents can still happen.

By the way; nice gun! I love my CZ's and am sure you will as well. Don't worry about the horrible triggers, they slick up after about 3000 rounds.

mblat
07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I have cz75B. I have dropped hammer on loaded chamber hundreds of times and never had any trouble. It is really takes about couple tries to get comfortable - and you are good to go.
Honestly, I don't quite understand why people would want to cz75 "cocked and locked". It isn't 1911. It HAS that pesky portion of DA trigger and as a result long takeup anyway.
So it isn't exactly "take of safety and you have wonderful short trigger". No, you have to take of safety, work through quarter of inch of takeup and only then you are in "SA mode" sort of.

I am not criticizing. To each his own and if people are comfortable with this situation - that is fine, however DA/SA was invented to for couple purposes:
1. Second strike capability
2. Ability safely carry gun and not to worry about playing with safeties.

One of the big reasons why ALA-Glock triggers became so popular is EXACTLY because you don't have to f!ck with safeties under stress. Now - if you trained enough - more power to you - put gun on manual safety.
If you are "average Joe" keep it on DA. Just shoot magazine or so in this mode every time you are at the range and you will be fine. Also will allow you to practice that "scary" hammer drop. Not to mention that if you you think you are going to have enough presence of mind to take gun off safety you sure like hell should be able to manually cock it and put it into the SA mode if DA trigger bothers you.

Besides. would you hesitate to use decocker to drop hammer? No? So you trust damn mechanical device, but not you own fingers?

So DA/SA it is. At least for me. But like I said - for each his own.

And BTW: congratulation it is wonderful gun

huna koa
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
has been one of my CCW's for nearly 3 years; I also use it in competition; I've had thousands of rounds through it and I have had trigger work done by Angus Hobdel. I load up with one in the chamber and I drop the hammer on my thumb and slowly let it down, say a prayer for a safe day before I walk out the door. Know thyself and thy weapon; so it's a part of you; and if you're having doubts; it may show when you're under extreme pressure to defend yourself.

JTROKS
07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Although I love condition one when I'm expecting trouble or in competition, I learned that a gun with a decock lever is safer when switching to condition 2. I also prefer a double action over a single action with my standby guns.

To answer your question, condition 2 is prefered with the hammer on half cock. The CZ is very quick to put into action from the half cock.

tonelar
07-11-2008, 12:47 AM
From page 20 of the CZ manual;

"The safety can be engaged only when the hammer is cocked, and for this reason it is applied especially in the case of a short-term interruption of shooting."

Does that sound like a recommendation for cocked and locked carry to you?

I'm not a fan of safeties. If I had things my way; there'd be none. The mag disconnect on the SW autos already claimed the life of a Pacifica boy and his father.

Bedside gun tonight: CZ 75B - one in the pipe- sixteen in the mag
dropped the hammer myself; I trust my fingers implicitly.

JTROKS
07-11-2008, 6:39 AM
From page 20 of the CZ manual;
The mag disconnect on the SW autos already claimed the life of a Pacifica boy and his father.

I'm a bit out of touch, can you show me where I can read up on this? Thanks.

elsolo
07-11-2008, 6:50 AM
Lower the hammer manually, carry with a DA first shot.
Practice

maxicon
07-11-2008, 9:15 AM
Lower the hammer manually, carry with a DA first shot.
Practice

+1 on this. I prefer mine this way, as I like the longer trigger pull on the first round, and I have a bunch of different safeties on different guns.

tonelar
07-12-2008, 6:33 PM
I'm a bit out of touch, can you show me where I can read up on this? Thanks.

It isn't IN the CZ manual, JT.

Happened in the late 80's. I remember it because it created quite a buzz locally.

Guy brings home a "new to him" 9mm. Got it for a good price since a local dept is in the midst of changing over to another make. Unknown to him, the LE Armorer had disabled the mag disconnect feature at the request of his patrolmen. He was demo-ing how "safe" the S&W was (loaded chamber, magazine removed) ifo his wife and son.

Always happens to these self proclaimed experts.

Suvorov
07-12-2008, 9:52 PM
It isn't IN the CZ manual, JT.

Happened in the late 80's. I remember it because it created quite a buzz locally.

Guy brings home a "new to him" 9mm. Got it for a good price since a local dept is in the midst of changing over to another make. Unknown to him, the LE Armorer had disabled the mag disconnect feature at the request of his patrolmen. He was demo-ing how "safe" the S&W was (loaded chamber, magazine removed) ifo his wife and son.

Always happens to these self proclaimed experts.

If he would have just followed the Golden Rule of Firearms..... :(

I fired about 150 rounds through the CZ yesterday and experimented with carrying conditions, will post more when I have time.

Fantasma
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Cocked and locked! nuff' said.