PDA

View Full Version : HSC test

acolytes
07-10-2008, 7:18 PM
Hey guys it's been about 12 years since I've bought a hand gun and I don't recall ever taking an HSC test for them. I'm interested in getting an XD and was wondering what the HSC test it like. I heard it was a "no brainer". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kruzr
07-10-2008, 7:22 PM
It's a tough one. You need to study like you would for a urine test. :sleeping:

Mostly common sense, some specific questions on California law on owning, transporting, and storing guns. You can miss 7 out of 30 and still pass. Of course if you miss 7, you better not let any of your shooting buds know. :)

Black Majik
07-10-2008, 7:23 PM
Yeah it's very easy. Very common sense. It'll follow much of the 4 rules and if it sounds remotely dangerous then tht answer is wrong.

They have small packets available for sale to study off of, but it's really not necessary.

Good luck

rtlltj
07-10-2008, 7:46 PM
If your already a gun owner than you shouldn't need the booklet at all. If your a new gun owner you would probably pass it but you might miss a few questions.

Librarian
07-10-2008, 7:48 PM
And the Study Guide is online here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf). Trivial.

happy_gunner
07-10-2008, 7:50 PM
straight common sense, I took the test without the book and only 1 wrong, so don't shoot into water:51:
if you're a little worried, get the book only take a few minutes to read, helps refresh your memory.

socALTEZZA
07-10-2008, 7:58 PM
Dont sweat it at all, I didnt study only missed 2, its fairly easy for the most part like everyone else has said.

hawk1
07-10-2008, 8:22 PM
A monkey with alzheimers can pass that test. Don't sweat it....:p

Knauga
07-10-2008, 8:30 PM
Hey guys it's been about 12 years since I've bought a hand gun and I don't recall ever taking an HSC test for them. I'm interested in getting an XD and was wondering what the HSC test it like. I heard it was a "no brainer". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you can find the gun store, manage to stay upright and breathing at the same time, you'll pass. It really is just a tax on gun ownership.

Synergy
07-10-2008, 8:33 PM
I took it at the gun show and the guy giving it, said in all his years he has only seen one guy fail and he failed since he couldn't read English.

Soon the state will have the HSC is 26 different languages like the drivers test!:eek:

domokun
07-10-2008, 8:40 PM
If you fail it, you don't deserve to own a handgun... :rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
07-10-2008, 8:43 PM
I took it at the gun show and the guy giving it, said in all his years he has only seen one guy fail and he failed since he couldn't read English.

Soon the state will have the HSC is 26 different languages like the drivers test!:eek:

The real pisser is that none of those 26 languages will be English!:D

berto
07-10-2008, 8:44 PM
Get the free study guide. Skip straight to the self test after every section. If it's not a problem you're good to go. If it is a problem youmight want to read the study guide. the real test is as easy as the practice questions.

dichter
07-10-2008, 8:44 PM
I just took the test a few months back since what I got was the old Basic Firearms Safety Certificate and I am in the market for a new gun. Test is pretty easy indeed. Nothing wrong with brushing up the study materials though.

It's easy.

zman
07-10-2008, 8:58 PM
Get the free study guide. Skip straight to the self test after every section. If it's not a problem you're good to go. If it is a problem youmight want to read the study guide. the real test is as easy as the practice questions.

Excellent suggestion!

When I passed mine, I asked the Turner's employee if anybody has failed it yet. He said as far as he is concerned none...then the other employee immediately stated he's seen two or three NOT pass.

PolishMike
07-10-2008, 9:00 PM
When handling a weapon always point it towards:
a)your face
b)your friend's face
c)your mom's face
d)a safe direction

dfletcher
07-10-2008, 9:13 PM

IIRC, the only interesting question asked is where do you point the muzzle - downrange, straight up in the air or in a direction where it won't hit anyone if the gun goes off? Most of the questions are of the "Is it OK to shoot someone if the tick you off?" variety.

sorensen440
07-10-2008, 9:33 PM

If you fail you shouldn't be around firearms
very simple

rtlltj
07-10-2008, 9:58 PM
LOL

"Is it ok to shoot your gun in the air in celebration for New Years?" T/F

lazyworm
07-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Just make sure you take your time to read every questions clearly. Don't skimp. A few of the questions have slightly tricky wordings.

Matt P
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
If you want to become an Instructor for the HSC, and be able to issue HSC cards yourself, let me know.

I am an Instructor of Instructors here in the Central Valley.

Cost is $80.00 for the 2 hour course.

Moonclip
07-11-2008, 12:18 AM

You can take it in Spanish.

Synergy
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
You can take it in Spanish.
AHHHH F'it I am going to start speaking my own language like the bums on Skid Row! Nahhh, Back to my roots Deutsch.

Moonclip
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
AHHHH F'it I am going to start speaking my own language like the bums on Skid Row! Nahhh, Back to my roots Deutsch.

Huh? Anyways I had a friend who was an American citizen by birth but Spanish was his 1st language then Hebrew his 2nd, long story. I was going to give him a gun and I got him the Spanish HSC study guide but his daughter and I had a falling out so I gave the gun to someone else instead.

acolytes
07-11-2008, 8:13 AM
lol, thanks for all the replies guys. I knew i would get quite a few amusing responses.:D

///D
07-11-2008, 8:25 AM
What I find funny is they allow you to miss 7 I believe out of the 25. I personally wouldn't want someone who misses 6 or even 5 owning a gun. I took mine when it was first required in 2003 then again when it expired 5 years later missing 0 each time. Toot toot :D

A60P
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
+ 1 what everyone else is saying. get the study guide, read it, read the questions carefully. I watched 2 guys in front of me in line flunk it! :eek:

Timberwolf
07-11-2008, 11:10 AM
its so easy a caveman can pass it

ViPER395
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Or continue living in modern society.

If you fail it, you don't deserve to own a handgun... :rolleyes:

mecam
07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
You've got to be a stupid mot*e*f*cker to fail this test. Study the inter-family transfer rules, etc and you'll be fine. The rest is all common sense stuff.

Dirk Tungsten
07-11-2008, 1:38 PM
LOL

"Is it ok to shoot your gun in the air in celebration for New Years?" T/F

I missed this. I probably should have paid better attention to the questions. For the record I got all of the rest of them right with almost no studying. It's frighteningly simple.

InvictusManeo
07-11-2008, 1:50 PM
When I took my test, there was a guy taking it next to me at the same time. He got 9 wrong. I think he may have been a zombie, but I didn't stop to check his pulse. Just took my card and got out of the shop that let someone that dumb even think about firearms.

:51::hide:

Glock22Fan
07-11-2008, 1:50 PM
I did it with no preparation. The only question I missed was "How old do you have to be to buy a firearm?" As I'm way above the age where I need to know that, I couldn't care less about the answer.

One thing to watch, they nearly scored me as missing most of them because they didn't have the score card lined up properly.

Rob454
07-11-2008, 3:03 PM
Like everyone stated pretty common sense test. I walked in and I only missed 1 question. Not that I studied but it was common sense stuff that pretty much 99% of gun owners know

bswp
07-11-2008, 4:00 PM
Easy test, hard to fail. I passed with 100%, and only guessed on one question, whether a felony conviction resulted in a lifetime proscription on owning guns.

As Dimitri at City Arms said, the only people he has seen who fail the test are those with English language comprehension problems.

NotSoFast
07-11-2008, 4:04 PM
Trivial AND politically correct. If you know the politically correct answers, you'll pass with flying colors. I took it in May and had only glanced over the book prior to taking it. I hadn't been around handguns for 30 years prior to that.

AK4me
07-11-2008, 4:17 PM
A monkey with alzheimers can pass that test. Don't sweat it....:p

Exactly

slowfire
07-11-2008, 7:30 PM
I heard it was a "no brainer". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can you tie your shoes? The hardest part is reading the questions.

Rover
07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Skim the practice test, the only hard question is something like "What should a child do if they find a gun?" and that's only hard because my answer would be don't touch, tell and adult, and they want some goofy 4 step process that rhymes. As it turns out that question isn't on the actual test. Can a convicted felon purchase a firearm? T/F