PDA

View Full Version : P226 Trigger Job

Casual Observer
07-10-2008, 5:55 PM
Recently came into possession of a nice used P226. Previous owner took very good care of it- the outside looks new, night sights, the whole 9 yards. I have only one complaint....

the trigger absolutely sucks. Don't really care how or why, just want someone who I can take the gun to and get it back nice, crisp and within a reasonable pull-weight.

Suggestions? I'm in central OC (Irvine / Santa Ana area).

Oh, and I refuse to deal with Evan's, so besides him- options?

FlyingPen
07-10-2008, 5:58 PM
Bruce Gray from Gray Guns (google it)... but expect a fairly long wait. Anybody good has a bit of a wait.

Do you mean reasonable pull weight for DA or SA? There is no better factory stock trigger than SA on a Sig for under $1000.

If it's DA, you might be able to lighten the pull weight by replacing the main spring with a newer style one which works on the P228.

Saigon1965
07-10-2008, 6:00 PM
Too long of a trigger? give us some more to bite here.

1911whore
07-10-2008, 6:02 PM
Sig triggers out of the box are garbage like everything else. BUT once you have them woprked over they are really nice. I hahve mine at a 3lb SA break and a DA pull at a very smooth and clean 6lbs. out of the box it was a bit gritty, just over 6lbs SA and almost 11-12 lbs DA

SNEAKS
07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Ive been thinking of a trigger job on my 226 also.:yes:

Black Majik
07-11-2008, 7:35 AM
If you're thinking about a trigger job for the P-series SIG, the guys (and gal) at Grayguns are the way to go.

I've shot their carry trigger as well as their competition triggers, and it's a huge improvement over stock. They can also vary the reset distance, the carry usually being a bit longer reset.

As for unbelieveably short reset, they can do that too. I even remember them doing a trigger that "snapped" back to the reset point after being fired, unfortunately they never made an official package out of it, that trigger was sweet.

I've tried a TJ's Custom trigger also. It'll smooth up significantly, but doesn't hold any of the other qualities of a nice trigger.

Grayguns is the way to go.

What Just Happened?
07-11-2008, 8:08 AM
I think there's a gunsmith at the LAX range who works on Sig guns. Look at their website for details.

MFortie
07-11-2008, 8:11 AM
I had an action/trigger job done by Sig when I sent mine back for an unrelated issue. Very nice and smooth and I get comments (good of course) from everyone who fires it -- even the Front Sight instructor who fired it commented on how nice it and smooth the trigger is...

aca72
07-11-2008, 8:56 AM
Check Grayguns services...

http://grayguns.com/docs/smith_sig.htm

or

SIG Sauer Inc...

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/2007-SIG-Customer-Shop-Price-List.pdf

or

Use A-Zoom snap caps?

http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm

BigRich
07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
+1000 for Grayguns. Bruce and Scott do amazing work on Sigs. They even improved my XFive into the unbelievable range. The SA trigger break is smack on 2 lbs. They are worth the wait.

pklin1297
07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
I changed the mainspring on my P225/P6 alone and that made a big improvement, and then I polished the engagement surfaces on the sear and hammer and that made it even better. Next step is to polish and maybe nickel plate the pins that these components rotate on. I believe just by doing these things you'll be generally happy with your trigger, and you'll be able to enjoy it hours after you mod it instead of waiting weeks. My opinion of course. If you are looking for short reset send it to Gray.

BONECUTTER
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Don't really care how or why, just want someone who I can take the gun to and get it back nice, crisp and within a reasonable pull-weight.

Let me borrow it:D After 6000 rounds it will be much smoother. If not I will bust out the dremel ;)

Just leave it at the shop buddy. :43:

pklin1297
07-11-2008, 2:37 PM
PM Sent.

FlyingPen
07-11-2008, 5:34 PM
Sig triggers out of the box are garbage like everything else. BUT once you have them woprked over they are really nice. I hahve mine at a 3lb SA break and a DA pull at a very smooth and clean 6lbs. out of the box it was a bit gritty, just over 6lbs SA and almost 11-12 lbs DA

Yah Sigs have terrible triggers out of the box... :rolleyes:

http://www.jae-designs.com/firearms/arsenal/P228Target.jpg
40 rounds, moderate pace, 10 yards.