View Full Version : Opinions on CZ CUSTOM SHOP CZ 75 SP-01?

07-10-2008, 3:54 PM

Designed by CZ-USA Shooting Team Captain Angus Hobdell as a USPSA "production" division competition firearm, this pistol has all of the components required. Featuring the CZ Competition Hammer for smooth DA and light crisp SA, CZ Competition Rear Sight for a superior sight picture, CZ Fiber Optic Front sight for faster sight acquisition. Lighter CZ recoil and main spring for use with "minor power factor" ammunition. The Custom Shop SP01 is trimmed out with CZ's durable non-glare Poly-Coat finish and slim Coco-Bolo grips. Each gun is tested and zeroed before leaving the CZ Custom Shop. Outstanding value in a "production" pistol.

Product specifications

Price (MSRP) US$ 850.00
Product number (SKU) N/A

Ammo 9 mm LUGER
Magazine capacity 19
Rate of twist 1:9.7 in

Weight 2.4 lbs
Overall Length 8.1 in
Barrel Length 4.7 in
Height 5.8 in
Width 1.5 in

Trigger mech. SA/DA
Sights CZ Competition Rear and Fiber Optic Front
Safety elements, safety SA DA Safety, Safety Half Cock, Firing Pin safety (if required)

CZ SP-01 CUSTOM features:

* CZ Competition Rear Sight
* CZ Fiber Optic Front Sight
* CZ Competition SA DA Hammer
* CZ Recoil and Mainspring
* CZ Coco-Bolo Thin Wood Grips

Tuned Trigger Components (Reduces Single and Double action trigger pull)

SP01 can be supplied without Firing Pin Blocks (At your written Request Makes for Much better Trigger.

Reliability Check. Zero Check with my Match Ammo.

(Several variations of this Custom SP01 are available including and not limited to a single action only option and machined into the slide adjustable sights option as well as custom finishes, hard chrome etc)

THIS CZ CUSTOM SHOP GUN MUST BE ORDERED DIRECTLY FROM CZ CUSTOM SHOP Phone: 480-969-1311 or 480-969-3068 Fax: 480-969-9687 E-mail: angus@cz-usa.com the lead-time is about 4-6 weeks. Delivery will be billed at cost. Delivery is with 2 x 19 round magazines except states with restrictions (CA, NJ, HI)

Cannot be supplied without firing pin block for Sale to CA.

07-10-2008, 4:02 PM
Or you could have Frank at Irvington Arms do the same mods to it and get the same gun for less ;)

What Just Happened?
07-10-2008, 4:06 PM
Here's the link to the gun

I like Angus's work. I have his work on my trigger and love it. It has all the stuff that you would want done to a SP-01, except the trigger itself. The trigger shape does take some getting used to, but it's okay. If you can, I'd trade the Cocobolo grips for some Aluminum ones. The Al are very slim, almost flush with the frame.

There's a warning that it is not for sale in CA, but you probably have to talk with him about the details. The only problem now is the whole letter from the DoJ saying the handgun is approved to be shipped into CA.

07-10-2008, 4:41 PM
SP-01 is super slick. The slide is smooth like butter compared to my CZ75SA. The double action trigger is very light and sweet. It's a greater shooter as well. I've had no problems with mine. Shoots very accurately. Only thing I would change would be the fiber optic sights. I'm no a fan of FO sights, prefer a target set.

07-10-2008, 9:05 PM
So I will be better off just buying a stock SP-01 and do some small modifications later? :)

07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Thoughts? You need to buy a plain CZ SP-01 first, then send it into the custom shop (or elsewhere) to have the work done.

The Handgun cert. list applies to specific models only, not customized versions (aside from sight and grip differences).

Besides, those particular modifications can be done for less if you send it elsewhere. I had an SP-01 with night sights worked on with a replacement hammer, polished action, and some other work for under $160. The base gun cost in the $500s.

07-11-2008, 5:43 AM
You are going to want these parts, which that CZ allready has installed:

competition rear sight $40
competition front $20
competition hammer $50
11-12# Wolff recoil spring $12
13-16# Wolff main spring $8

That one also has cocobolo grips for an additional $50

So you allready have $180 worth of additional parts on the custom shop pistol, I prefer the factory rubber SP-01 grips over the wood ones so there's another $50 to save.

You will need somebody competant to install the hammer, set the set the sear/hammer engagement and trim the sear's arm so the safety on your gun works. There are several other things that should be done as well if you go for an "action job" instead of just a triggerjob. That will cost another $50-200 and a long wait time depending on what smith you choose.
They are a piece of cake once you know what to do, and what not to do; learning the latter takes experience.

07-11-2008, 7:58 AM
Personally, I favor the LPA adjustable FO sights over the CZ competition sights, but YMMV.

If you can swing by Jackson Arms, you're more than welcome to test my SP01s.

What Just Happened?
07-11-2008, 8:07 AM
Do keep in mind shipping if you have to send it out for work. Oh wait, you're relatively close to Irvington Arms. I hate you. It was $100 alone in shipping costs for me to send mine to a good gunsmith.

07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Or you could have Frank at Irvington Arms do the same mods to it and get the same gun for less ;)

Just don't get the decocker version if you want to find local gunsmiths to work on it; I have the basic SP-01 Tactical, and now that I'm familiar with it and am interested in a trigger/possibly action job, I've had a tough time finding anyone local to work on a decocker model. Frank at Irvington won't work on 'em, so I'm thinking I need to ship it back to Angus to get the work done.

huna koa
07-11-2008, 2:40 PM
is one of my carry guns; bought it 2 years ago; after a thousand rounds or two I started competing and sent it to Angus for a trigger job. I loved the weapon when I first got it; with the competition hammer and goodies it's an amazing weapon. I also have HK's on my permit; and I carry the SP01 most of the time; altho it's ONLY a 9mm I trust it as much as my HK 45's[USP45 Expert & USP45FS-w/Expert match trigger + Tactical unthreaded barrel ]. It's nice to have a choice when I get 'dressed up'; all the while knowing that whatever I have will go bang everytime; and they are all accurate. How do I know??They are tested again and again in IPSC & IDPA competitions 2-3 times a month.