PDA

View Full Version : How much is my LCP .380 worth in SF?

gunsmith
07-10-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm gonna register it and sell it, how much do you guys think I can get for it?

Spyder
07-10-2008, 2:54 PM
They sell for about sixty bucks down there. If you want, I'll give you 85 and take it off your hands. You'll make a little money and I'll have a new pistol!

Guntech
07-10-2008, 2:57 PM
what do you mean your gonna register it? how long have you had it?

GuyW
07-10-2008, 3:18 PM
I'm gonna register it...

What will you accomplish by doing that?

Ledbetter
07-10-2008, 3:27 PM
Then, he'll be able to sell it legally.

My guess: $550

GuyW
07-10-2008, 3:50 PM

Can you point me in the correct direction so that I can look that up?

EDITED IN:

I call FUD, because I can't find any such requirement

"26. How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer."

see also # 14

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#9

jazman
07-10-2008, 4:07 PM
If he moved to California with the gun he has to register it with the State or sell it within 60 days, see page 177 and Appendix 1 of How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail...also, if you get caught with a concealed loaded gun if it's registered to you it's a misdemeanor, if not it's a felony/misdemeanor and you are in a lot more trouble.

What Just Happened?
07-10-2008, 4:14 PM
The Ruger LCP is not on the CA Approved handgun list. If one purchased an LCP outside of CA while a resident of another state, one could bring the handgun into CA, but must register the handguns within 60 days of importing said handgun. Maybe 'register' isn't the proper term, but that's basically what you have to do.

tonelar
07-10-2008, 4:23 PM
Special Forces guys uses .380 calibers?

If he's just gonna sell it (within 60 days)he needn't bother with step one. The sixty day thing is kinda funny.
A friend of mine moved here last summer, however on her last visit to her folks (June) she picked up a couple of her pistols. Her sixty days starts when her pistols got here, not from when she first moved.

dfletcher
07-10-2008, 4:27 PM
This is strictly hypothetical, but without taking any steps to "register" the thing himself he could put it up for consignment at a local gun store and when sold (presumably in fewer than 60 days) the handgun would be DROS'd to the new owner. I heard from a friend or two that has been done on occasion, may even have been done well past the 60 days.

So "gunsmith" - how many PM's have you received? :tt1: Personally I'm an all steel fan but I imagine there's some interest, yes?

-hanko
07-10-2008, 6:28 PM

My guess: $550
And he will find a legal buyer who'll shell out $550 for a ruger in .380.:eek:

-hanko

jrhglock99
07-10-2008, 7:43 PM
And he will find a legal buyer who'll shell out $550 for a ruger in .380.:eek:

-hanko

Crazy! I will agree, he wil get it. I had one already that I got for a cop who did not like it and then transfered it to me. I did not like mine either. Now it is in the hands of another person.

If there are any L.E. on here looking for one, I have 2 N.I.B. in stock at the shop.
Scratch that! I am down to none now. If anyone is interested I have had over 25 in stock since they came out. Let me know and I can put you on a waiting list.

sirr6
07-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I would pay 550+ for one

gunsmith
07-11-2008, 1:32 PM
I had my NV DL turned into a CA DL last week so I am officially a CA resident.
I don't wanna start off on a bad foot.

Glock22Fan
07-11-2008, 2:44 PM
You don't need to register it to sell it.

I have bought unregistered handguns (from a relative). The FFL said "No problem, they don't really care as long as it is registered after the sale"

islandchanel
09-10-2008, 9:35 PM
So let me get this straight. If aN LEO bought one of these LCP in california and did not want it anymore he can sell it in california to a non LEO? I was told by an ffl that the gun would have to be sold to another LEO to be legal. Just trying to figure out what would stop some COP from buying a whole bunch of these then reselling them for a profit.

ivanimal
09-10-2008, 9:41 PM
I have one they are worth about 400 to 450 with the CA non list extra mordita. I like mine but not for 500 or 550.

dfletcher
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
So let me get this straight. If aN LEO bought one of these LCP in california and did not want it anymore he can sell it in california to a non LEO? I was told by an ffl that the gun would have to be sold to another LEO to be legal. Just trying to figure out what would stop some COP from buying a whole bunch of these then reselling them for a profit.

He can PPT it to whomever he likes so long as that person is not prohibited from owning a handgun.

Re selling a bunch, if he's found to be engaged in the business, without an FFL, he'd be in hot water. If he happened to buy an LCP, not like it and sell it -nothing would happen to him. If he happened to be a slow learner, or maybe the 1st gun didn't work so well and he tried another, then changed his mind and tried again (really slow learner) I suspect nothing would still happen.

Personally, you couldn't give me an LCP, but that's just my taste. I guess they work quite well, most folks like them.