PDA

View Full Version : UK Pensioner arrested for chasing away youths

aileron
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM
*Sigh* Don't know when the government finally figures it out they are not helping the situation. Its comical, and oh so sad. How do they get this way? Oh and love the toe rag comment. Priceless.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2269229/Pensioner-arrested-for-chasing-away-youths-with-plank.html

Pensioner arrested for chasing away youths with piece of wood
By Nigel Bunyan
Last Updated: 4:33PM BST 08/07/2008
A pensioner who used a piece of wood to chase away a gang of teenagers who had been throwing stones at his home is facing a jail term after being arrested and charged with possessing an offensive weapon.

Sydney Davis, 65, a father-of-two, dialed 999 when his home in the Pinehurst area of Swindon, Wilts, came under attack.

But when police failed to turn up over the next two hours he decided to take action himself.

He grabbed a section of wood from a broken-up sofa lying in his front garden and chased the youths down the street - just as police officers finally arrived.

Mr Davis, a retired builder, was astonished when police arrested him while allowing the gang to run to safety.

The householder now faces a court appearance and a potential prison term of six months if convicted.

Mr Davis, whose windows have been smashed five times in the last eight months, branded the law "a colossal ***".

He went on: "This is Britain gone mad. Just what in the world is this country coming to when the police arrest people like me for protecting their own property?

"The police say they want to reduce crime, yet they let evil little toe-rags like this off. Then they prosecute hard-working, upstanding residents like me.

"There is simply no way we can shake off this problem of 'Yob Britain' if the legal system fails to protect the everyday person".

Mr Davis' difficulties began on July 2 when a gang started throwing stones, stick, mud and eggs at a number of homes.

His wife, Pauline, 42, and their sons, Peter, seven, and James, five, cowered behind the sofa as the windows were hit by a flurry of missiles.

"My wife called the police at 6pm, but they just kept on throwing stones through my back gate.

"I left the back door open to stop them smashing it. Suddenly a really big rock came crashing into the kitchen. I just grabbed the wood, which was the nearest thing I could find, and chased them off.

"The police turned up just as I was chasing them. As a result I was arrested, but they didn't arrest any of them."

Mr Davis was handcuffed, taken to a local police station and later charged.

Wiltshire Police confirmed both the charge against him and the fact that no one else had been arrested in connection with the incident.

The householder is expected to appear before local magistrates later in the month.

Fate
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Sad.

But here in CA, you go outside with a gun to scare them off and you'll probably be arrested too.

RomanDad
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Id be afraid if a Pensioner were chasing me.... The coats alone would make me wet my pants!!!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/400px-Chelsea-pensioners.jpg

yellowfin
07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I wonder what Kipling and/or Churchill would have to say about the English these days.

tgriffin
07-10-2008, 12:22 PM
http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/Sutler2%201.jpg

Closer everyday.

leelaw
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Closer everyday.

Yeah, the similarities between the two situations are so clear they're transparent!

Nose Nuggets
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
England prevails.

BroncoBob
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
What a shame, but the Brits have let it happen to themselves. If we don't watch out the same crap will happen here in the U.S. Heck the Brits aren't even fielding a pistol shooting team at the Olympic Games in China due to their strict gun laws.

MrBig
07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I guess the guy was being too hard on confused low self esteem gang members.................

CCWFacts
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I guess the guy was being too hard on confused low self esteem gang members.................

It's totally about lack of self-esteem and opportunity, and historical class discrimination. The home owner is part of the oppressing class so the cops were right to arrest him. The yobs were the innocent victims here.

acolytes
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
It's becoming a thug paradise there. First they take away any means to defend yourself and your family against thugs, no it's illegal to chase them off of your property. It wouldn't suprise me to see a revolution or collapse of society in the future there with the way they are doing things.

Glock22Fan
07-10-2008, 1:08 PM
I know a number of Brits, including my brother and me, who have fled Britain with no intent to return.

Nanny state gone bananas, and bad weather to boot.

Anyone who is in any way successful must have done it by climbing on the backs of "the workers," many (most?) of whom have never done a fair day's work in their lives.

RomanDad
07-10-2008, 1:10 PM
I know a number of Brits, including my brother and me, who have fled Britain with no intent to return.

Nanny state gone bananas, and bad weather to boot.

But tell me those coats and cool hats aren't tempting???

Glock22Fan
07-10-2008, 1:17 PM
But tell me those coats and cool hats aren't tempting???

There are some charitable shelters for retired servicemen. One of these is in Chelsea, and its residents dress like this and they are called "Chelsea Pensioners." I think they are usually senior n.c.o.'s, without family to support them.

Don't know enough to state for sure that these are indeed Chelsea Pensioners, but I think it is probable - I can't remember any others that dress like this.

Becoming a Chelsea Pensioner is considered a great honor, the positions become available infrequently and there is a long waiting list.

Guntech
07-10-2008, 1:51 PM
Sad.

But here in CA, you go outside with a gun to scare them off and you'll probably be arrested too.

A gun? no no no you will get arrested for going out with a bat, a wrench, a tire iron, anything believe me
I know

CCWFacts
07-10-2008, 1:55 PM
Don't know enough to state for sure that these are indeed Chelsea Pensioners, but I think it is probable - I can't remember any others that dress like this.

They are. The picture is from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner

tgriffin
07-10-2008, 2:10 PM
Yeah, the similarities between the two situations are so clear they're transparent!

Forgive me for being dense, but I could take that as you either agree or disagree with me. Mind clarifying?

tyrist
07-10-2008, 2:51 PM
The rule of Law in England seems to be vanishing by the second. To think they poineered the common law that founded so many great countries and they are reduced to thugs running the streets.

Mikeb
07-10-2008, 3:04 PM
I'm so glad we won the Revolutionary War.

leelaw
07-10-2008, 3:31 PM
Forgive me for being dense, but I could take that as you either agree or disagree with me. Mind clarifying?

I was disagreeing.

Comparing a fascist dictatorship to a single situation where a man is arrested after assaulting people who were damaging his property is hardly accurate.

grammaton76
07-10-2008, 3:33 PM
A gun? no no no you will get arrested for going out with a bat, a wrench, a tire iron, anything believe me
I know

Sounds like story time to me!

Citizen Snips
07-10-2008, 5:37 PM
He went on: "This is Britain gone mad. Just what in the world is this country coming to when the police arrest people like me for protecting their own property?"
I can feel and identify with him, but the answer is that it is infinitely easier to prosecute and harass the law-abiding because they abide by the law. I would be scared poopless to be living over there, especially if in my golden years. But then that's what those in power want. The working class to be in fear. When 69% of home robberies are hot and only the criminals are allowed to have weapons, the instillation of fear is complete. That is no country to raise and protect a family in.

I'm so glad we won the Revolutionary War.
I couldn't agree more.

If anyone has not read this, I highly recommend consuming it end to end, an article about the loss of liberties in a gradual 80 year slide (http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/SlipperySlope.htm). Also includes the event of 1940 where they printed ads begging Americans to donate firearms to repel possible invasion only to later confiscate and destroy said arms. The anti-gun nutcases over there learned nothing all these years later. In fact they are now trying their hand at knife control.

MrBig
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
This is where I ask myself how come people allow this in this day and age where you can actively discuss it on the Internet. I mean wouldn't they know this stuff happens and yet um it should like stop?

battleship
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Britain has lost its way when it comes to the public defending yourself and your property, first off there is zero, actually sub zero respect for the police and the powers they have. I Know this because i grow up there, and it has just gotten worse as the years go by. The goverment thinks it has the solution by using CCTV on most town streets and in socially high crime areas. So they can just monitor crime and go after the pepertrators after the effect, rather than trying to pre-empt the situation.

Gangs roam the streets there looking to get the attention from the police, they see it as a big game, and they seem to have no fear about going to jail. chances are they will just get there knuckles rapped and be out before the weekend ends up.

These thugs are bored and crave anarchy to keep them entertained.

It really is a thug infested place you have to really live there for a while to fully understand what im saying.

I have to say that if you look at what is going on over there with the crime problem and how the goverment will prosecute anyone who wants to just protect them selfs or take the law into there own hands when the police fail to protect them or execute any type of aid.

Then it really can be called a fascist dictatorship, only difference is the goverment in power, is a combined dictatorship, not one man but many men ruling with out regard for the general publics real safety , subpressing all, and seen as how the victims are the weakest and easiest to arrest, then they go after them first, it looks better on the books, as arresting the criminals is much harder why they are running away.

I have lived in Chicago for 6 years and in some pretty hairy places, i lived in Oakland for 10 years and i consider them allot safer places to live than most U.K. towns and cities. Living in Britain you have a significantly higher chance of getting into an altercation with some hard nosed thug or thugs out for some kicks. than you would here. As for the argument that America is racked with gun crime, that means nothing to me, a gun is just a tool, just because the brits dont have that many guns, though the more surfisticated gangs do have them. the fact is they will rob, kill and rape you with anything they can get there hands on.

They say more people fall to gun crime in America, than anywhere else in the world, i find this such a stupid blind statement to be made, when you take into account how in over countries people are murdered in the masses with much more barbaric means and weapons. than that with a gun. And given that the gun is the most disconnected impersonal form in which to inflict harm on a fellow person you have to wonder of the nature, the very being that is the person inflicting G.B.H on his intended victim or victims. it boggles my mind just how evil these thugs have become, up close and really personnel.

Im so glad i made it of that rock so many years ago, and no i dont care to go back and visit. America is the best place on this planet Bar none and i shall for ever argue this point with anyone whom disagrees.

thegratenate
07-11-2008, 4:36 AM
BHO agrees with you, but will work tirelessly to change that fact :D:D

The only solution that comes to my mind is for the law abiding subjects to change their ways, if the pensioner would have caught one of the thugs and robbed him maybe the results would have been a little different. He might have been entitled to the same rights that the criminals enjoy.

It really is a shame that the police showed up when they did. Or maybe it is a shame that the thugs were chased off and there was no chance to give them the hug that they desperately needed?

eguns-com
07-11-2008, 4:49 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032755/Businessman-grabbed-thug-smashing-window-charged-assault.html

gazzavc
07-11-2008, 9:40 AM
As an ex-pat living here in the US , I concur with your opinions entirely. I still have family back in London, and as far as i'm concerned if they want to see us they can come here and visit. I have no intention of ever going home for any reason.

Whenever I have gone back over the years, it has been a nerve racking experience, trying to blend in and maintain a low profile.

Its a criminals and thugs paradise over there now.

Gary

ZapThyCat
07-11-2008, 9:52 AM
Britain is a lost cause.

Soon America will be too.