PDA

View Full Version : anyone seenthe springfield xd(m)? and seen it at shops in the bay area?

norcal-ar
07-10-2008, 6:47 AM
just curious if they are going to offer it in anything other than .40 cal? and curious if any have been seen cause i want to go check one out in person!

bruss01
07-10-2008, 6:57 AM
I was intrigued when I first saw the XD(m), then I read a magazine article on it.

It looks like few if any parts will interchange with the regular XD. Even the magazines are different (non interchangeable). So just when there is starting to be decent aftermarket support for the original XD, this comes out on the scene without any support at all.

At that point, I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the XD(m). My wife has an XD, we have a fair amt of XD accessories, and wouldn't recoup any of that investment with the purchase of an XD(m).

Kind of wondering what Springfield was thinking on that one.:confused:

munkeeboi
07-10-2008, 7:19 AM
don't think it will be CA approved. Plus, to my knowledge, they don't make the mags under 10 rds yet .

Glock_XXI
07-10-2008, 7:24 AM
I don't think it has a mag disconnect or a LCI, so I doubt we will ever see one here in CA. :(

GTXR390
07-10-2008, 7:26 AM
I think it's sweet lookin'. IMHO it looks much better than other XD models. Dunno if any shops got it to look at yet.

I still wouldn't buy it yet if it were available in CA. Wait 'til all the kinks get worked out, then maybe.:D

kp94ss
07-10-2008, 7:35 AM
I read the article in latest issue of G&A. Sounds like they sweetened things up a little, but that grip frame is fugly and I don't like the new slide. I think the existing XD looks WAY better! Since it isn't on the approved list, its just another free state gun anyway.

bruss01
07-10-2008, 8:57 AM
I like the new look of both the grip frame and the slide.

I have to wonder though, after a 2 day class where you fire over 1000 rounds, if your hand would feel like fresh hamburger with such an aggressive grip-tread.

In the article it says they fixed the issue where you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide - a change in take down procedure. Has anyone heard whether they've fixed the issue with the gun locking up irrevocably if the grip safety gets released accidentally with the slide partly retracted? They say you have to send it to the factory, there's nothing the user can do to fix this if it happens (pretty rare from what I've heard but a real show-stopper if it happens to you in a class or worse yet, a gunfight).

You would think with today's automated design software, they could put a gun through every conceivable permutation of user control manipulation while it's still in the computer, and spot this kind of thing before it ever makes it out of CAD-CAM. WTF is up with that?

kp94ss
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
"I have to wonder though, after a 2 day class where you fire over 1000 rounds, if your hand would feel like fresh hamburger with such an aggressive grip-tread.
"

Exactly what I thought when I saw it. The same reason I passed on a HK USP.

Casual Observer
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
"I have to wonder though, after a 2 day class where you fire over 1000 rounds, if your hand would feel like fresh hamburger with such an aggressive grip-tread.
"

Exactly what I thought when I saw it. The same reason I passed on a HK USP.

IIRC, the USP was designed to be shot wearing gloves.

kp94ss
07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
IIRC, the USP was designed to be shot wearing gloves.

Thats what they said at the gun shop where I looked at it, I just don't like gloves when I shoot.

What Just Happened?
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
You would think with today's automated design software, they could put a gun through every conceivable permutation of user control manipulation while it's still in the computer, and spot this kind of thing before it ever makes it out of CAD-CAM. WTF is up with that?

That would be cool, but I don't think it's quite that easy. I have a friend whose job during the entirety of college was to test software for failures. This was done fairly easily as it was software he was dealing with. Hardware testing is much more difficult. You can get a computer simulated stress test on the fixed body, but going through the range of motions are more difficult. The best way to do that kind of testing is to manufacture the item and do it yourself.