PDA

View Full Version : ppt question

leggsman
07-09-2008, 7:36 PM
Can I do a PPT of a .22 rifle at your place when the buyer is in LA . He willing to ship it up here to a FFL dealer.Is this possible if it is what do I need to do and how much?
Thanks

cseabass
07-09-2008, 9:04 PM
thats not a ppt, thats an ffl xfer.

leggsman
07-10-2008, 12:41 AM
can i do that then?

leggsman
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
sorry for the confusion .What i meant is the seller is in L.A and he is a private party want to ship up here to a FFL dealer for me to buy

halifax
07-10-2008, 4:53 AM
Find a local FFL that will accept a firearm from a private party. The transfer fee will not be limited to the $35 PPT fee however.

BigMac
07-10-2008, 8:06 AM
not a problem... were more than happy to recieve from non-FFLs.

leggsman
07-10-2008, 8:26 AM
what does he need to do?

BigMac
07-10-2008, 8:39 AM
Include a photo copy of his ID so we can log it in.

leggsman
07-10-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks

leggsman
07-11-2008, 1:06 AM
doesn t he need a copy of your FFL?

BigMac
07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, he should have one.

Mike's Custom
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I have posted this before. Yes, you can do a PPT the way you want to do it. There are limits though. It is done much like a Gun Show Transfer PPT. The seller has to fill out the SELLER portion of a Gun Show DROS form and put a copy of his CA ID on the back. This is then shipped with the firearm to the receiving FFL. The FFL then fills out the DROS online as usual and manually enters the sellers info. It is a PPT and is limited to the $10 fee. At the price of gas these days I would offer the receiving FFL some incentive to do this type of PPT but then you might be paying more for a transfer then you can buy a new firearm for.

FFLs can ship a PPT (consignment gun) or non-listed hand gun this way to another FFL and still have it DROS'd as a PPT.

BigMac
07-12-2008, 2:57 PM
The problem with that is, both parties came before the FFL.

What your sugesting is, in my opinion, illegal.

Mike's Custom
07-12-2008, 3:02 PM
The problem with that is, both parties came before the FFL.

What your sugesting is, in my opinion, illegal.

Nope, not at all. Just like a gun show transaction. I was told how to do this by the DOJ when a BATF agent wanted to buy a consignment gun from a dealer in El Centro. The seller has to go to a dealer to do this.

BigMac
07-12-2008, 3:03 PM
I will confirm with DOJ.

That still sounds like an FFL transfer to me. A PPT is a transaction where BOTH parties come before an FFL and have the ownership transfered.

An FFL transfer is a transaction where the firearm is purchased from an FFL or individual at a location other than the FFL's place of business and is shipped in to have the background check etc..

The gunshow transfer still hadboth parties come before the FFl to complete the paperwork, but the FFL has to return to his place of business to run the DROS process.

Consignment also has both parties comeing before the FFL just at different times.

I have goten bad information from the DOJ in the past... thread carefully.