PDA

View Full Version : 12 gauge load of dimes????

vinny_land
07-09-2008, 7:21 PM
I dont know if this is all safe and all. Was browsing for Saiga pics but came across this guy loading dimes (yes...the actual coin) into a shotshell. :eek:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N9fy1B6Av_A

76231b
07-09-2008, 7:23 PM
he has a swastika flag in the back...

Hopi
07-09-2008, 7:27 PM
Maybe he's a flag collector? :rolleyes:

Interesting to know how that all worked out for him.....the dime thing, and the flag collecting.

Jerkdog
07-09-2008, 7:33 PM
This has been discussed before and even tested on Box-O-Truth. Enjoy.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot35.htm

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 4

A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth

And here's my old buddy Tman, (who has lots of money) on his hands and knees, trying to pick up all those dimes

I told him, "You've got money, why are you worried about a few dimes?"

He told me, "That's why I've got money." smilie tongue out

Lessons learned:
1. Dimes are much too light in weight and un-aerodynamic to fly very far, no matter how fast they are started.

2. They do not spread out as much as some expected.

3. Dimes do not penetrate enough, even at close range, to reach the vital organs of a goblin and STOP a fight.

4. It only costs about $1.60 a shot to have some fun shooting stuff with dimes.

duenor
07-09-2008, 7:40 PM
Now, a REALLY interesting youtube video would be shooting that same load through a gun with a Full Choke... yessiree, that sure would be some fun video to watch.

bohoki
07-09-2008, 8:22 PM
Now, a REALLY interesting youtube video would be shooting that same load through a gun with a Full Choke... yessiree, that sure would be some fun video to watch.

it wouldnt be too bad after all dimes is rifled

buffybuster
07-09-2008, 8:53 PM
There is actually a commerical load that is similar to a load of dimes. I can't recall the manufacturer but it was primarilty designed for lock/hinge busting for dynamic entry. It had disks loaded with the disks striated into pie slices.

vinny_land
07-09-2008, 8:56 PM

I can see it now....BOOM!!!! FAIL!

Moonclip
07-10-2008, 1:02 AM
There is actually a commerical load that is similar to a load of dimes. I can't recall the manufacturer but it was primarilty designed for lock/hinge busting for dynamic entry. It had disks loaded with the disks striated into pie slices.

It was made in Indio IIRC, Turners sold them. One of the Young Guns movies has the dimes in it. The character shoots someone and says something like "Best $1.50 I ever spent".

sloguy
07-10-2008, 1:07 AM
It was made in Indio IIRC, Turners sold them. One of the Young Guns movies has the dimes in it. The character shoots someone and says something like "Best $1.50 I ever spent".

"best dollar eighty i ever spent" if i recall correctly. imdb should have the exact quote.

Guns R Tools
07-10-2008, 1:12 AM
What if someone glued/epoxied the dimes into a log shape?
would it be like slug or somewhere inbetween slug-buckshot?

sloguy
07-10-2008, 6:35 AM
What if someone glued/epoxied the dimes into a log shape?
would it be like slug or somewhere inbetween slug-buckshot?
donno what that would do.

a better redneck type mod for a shotgun is to cut the shell all around the middle and then chamber it and shoot. the shell separates and the shot never comes out of the crimp. the plastic wrapped shot goes out in one piece and is like a giant glasser. doesnt always work right, and loses alot of accuracy, but its fun. id love to see what they do to ballistic gelatin.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-10-2008, 8:36 AM
"best dollar eighty i ever spent.

That was in the Billy the kid movie.

sorensen440
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Use 64 or older dimes and you can defend yourself from werewolves
:taz:

StukaJr
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Odd that there is no video of him shooting it yet... I'm wishful thinking - Darwin (but I bet it will be on soon)...

1064chubbs
07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Didnt mythbusters or some show on the History channel do a test on this myth also??? I beleive they came to the conclusion that they were not powerfull enough to kill somebody. They were testing Billy the kid myths.

Guntech
07-10-2008, 1:08 PM
Cheap way to ruin your shotgun lol

Sumo99
07-10-2008, 2:18 PM
Mythbusters shot a pig with dimes and it did absolutley nothing.

ViPER395
07-10-2008, 5:35 PM
Didn't it squeel?

Mythbusters shot a pig with dimes and it did absolutley nothing.

Crusader
07-10-2008, 6:30 PM
Haha, I was reading the comments below the video. Someone said those flags made him ashamed to be white, and the poster replied that he should load a shell full of dimes and shoot it into his gut. I thought that was funny.

I had actually been thinking long and hard about the Box o Truth's "Shooting Dimes".
The reason the loads didn't work too well was that they didn't weigh enough and that the hit area was spread over the whole length of the dime.

What if the dimes were loaded in the other way so that they shot out like a frisbie? It would concentrate the weight of the dime into a much smaller area, similar to a flechette, which although weighs very little, penetrates a lot.

Just a thought.

Vigilante
07-10-2008, 6:41 PM
a better redneck type mod for a shotgun is to cut the shell all around the middle and then chamber it and shoot. the shell separates and the shot never comes out of the crimp. the plastic wrapped shot goes out in one piece and is like a giant glasser. doesnt always work right, and loses alot of accuracy, but its fun. id love to see what they do to ballistic gelatin.

Speaking of rednecks, I saw a guy do that out in Pozo one time. I think I remember him cutting the hull about a 1/4 down from the crimp, but that may be wrong. It's hard for me to remember since I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. The way that you described cutting around the middle of the hull sounds more plausible. But anyway, he then took a shot at a jack rabbit that was about 40 yards away (if memory serves me) and it went about a half of a foot over the bunny's head and hit a pine tree. You could tell that the thing stayed together too, because it blew a pretty good size piece of bark off of the tree. I've always wondered what it would have done to that rabbit.

RANGER295
07-10-2008, 7:05 PM

That actually works really well. You canít cut it all the way around but more like perforate it so that you can still load it but it separates. I have also experimented with cutting it all the way and using tape. It depends on if you want it to feed or if you are loading it one at a time, how tight your chamber is, and so forth. I feel that based on my experimentation, this is actually more effective than a slug in some cases. All of the shot stays together until it hitís the target, then blows apart. It is sort of like a giant hollow point with super dissipation. I would think it would provide superior energy transfer.

I have tried the dimes and they donít work that well. They kind of go wild and loose speed and energy very quickly.

Some other loads I have tried are as follows:

-Rock salt - This is too light and does not have the effect that it is portrayed to have in the movies and such. It is pretty much useless for anything other than being able to say that you have rock salt rounds

- Cut wires - I have tried different types of wire of different gauges. Some types are actually surprisingly effective.

- Pepper - This is a very bad idea if you are shooting into the wind.

- Light chain - this is pretty good as well depending on the type of chain.

There are some other loads I have tried over the years as well. Most of them havenít worked worth a darn.

sloguy
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I feel that based on my experimentation, this is actually more effective than a slug in some cases. All of the shot stays together until it hitís the target, then blows apart. It is sort of like a giant hollow point with super dissipation. I would think it would provide superior energy transfer.

i donno about superior to a slug, slugs are pretty darn efficient as they are. at the end of the day (even if accuracy was not compromised)the redneck trick is still a shallow penetration. would work great for smallish size animals like raccoons or coyote but i suspect against human attackers the birdshot would not work as well as slug or buckshot. glassers are shallow wounding, a 12 gauge one would sure make a mess but will it reach vitals?

id like to try this in a less redneck way. maybe use a thin copper shot cup and crimp on a lid after filling it with shot. have it stay intact and if its slug size and weight then accuracy wouldnt be sacraficed. would still need a gellatin test for it.

another idea ive had for odd 12 gauge ammo is a 410 slug sabot. 410 slugs are made from a softer lead than 12 gauge slugs or buckshot. they pretty much explode and act like glassers anyway. id like to try a sabot to shoot a 410 slug thru a 12 gauge but bump the velocity up and see what it does with that extra energy. like a giant varmint round. make larger animals blow apart like squirrels.

CHS
07-11-2008, 6:58 AM
To make the "Glaser" type slug for 12ga is real easy.

You do have to have some reloading gear, but here's how a buddy of mine used to do them:

- Prime, resize hull, add powder.
- Add straight-wall wad. They sell these for steel shot, they have no petals and will hold water.
- Add shot.
- Add two over-shot cards (optional: Hot glue it in place)
- Roll-crimp shut.

These will fly like a slug, and are really impressive on water jugs and watermelons.

vinny_land
07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
XCEamGUO9Hs

Harrison_Bergeron
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Steel:rolleyes:

I'd always assumed the sheriff that loaded the dimes stuck them together, not just stacked them and let them disperse, that just seems so obvious that it wouldn't work, but then again he did get shot with his own gun.

rayra
07-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Damned foolishness

pullnshoot25
07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Damned foolishness

Thats how it was once done with the stage coaches. It seems it wouldn't be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

GuyW
07-12-2008, 6:09 PM
Thats how it was once done with the stage coaches. It seems it wouldn't be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dunno if you're wrong - but I've read western history, and a ****load of western fiction, without encountering "a load of dimes"...

Mssr. Elegantť
07-12-2008, 6:50 PM
What if the dimes were loaded in the other way so that they shot out like a frisbie? It would concentrate the weight of the dime into a much smaller area, similar to a flechette, which although weighs very little, penetrates a lot.

Just a thought.

I used to have a handgun like that when I was a kid...

http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/TracerGun.jpg

saki302
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Remember, "Saftey" first!

:rolleyes:

-Dave

ar15barrels
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
this one had a hard life.
it ain't much good anymore.

:rofl2:

Mr. Beretta
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks like he used a single shot H&R Topper shotgun.

Great, solid guns for the money. (money...get it....come on now, laugh) :):):)

NeoWeird
07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Anyone else get the impression that he was trying to hide the fact that he was using an illegally chopped down shotgun? Kind of odd how he always goes out of his way to show only the action and nothing more.

Also, dimes are a LOT lighter than lead, so even when glued together it will be inferrior to a modern slug. It wouldn't surprise me if in the old days before slugs if someone would use dimes and glue them together. Dimes alone though seems like a stupid idea, as stated earlier, they spread a lighter impact across a larger surface.

Now cutting the hulls and using extra wads sounds like a VERY interesting concept. I think I am going to have to try that one of these days.

NeoWeird
07-22-2008, 1:31 AM

I was thinking about this while I laid in bed and I got an idea.

You could always cut the whole way around, then use a sheet of thick paper and glue it around the body of the shotgun shell. The width of the paper should be thinner than the width of the brass neck so it shouldn't interfer with feeding/firing and it's tensile strength should be far less than that of the crimped shell. It tears at the weakest point (might even burn to facilitate this as gases escape from the cut) and down range it goes. It wouldn't make the shell flimsy either since all it would really be doing is holding the upper portion against the lower portion and the plastic hull would prevent each side from flexing and deforming.

I wonder though, what happens when these types of mods hit the forcing cone. I mean, does the hole thing compress and rupture defeating the purpose or does it compress and then flex outward again as it exits the barrel.

It might be worth while to have a gunsmith ream the chamber all the way down on a beater barrel for just these types of rounds. Maybe even rifle the barrel a little to give it that extra stability.

Ford8N
07-22-2008, 5:40 AM
I used to have a handgun like that when I was a kid...

http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/TracerGun.jpg

I had one too but lost it in a tragic boating accident.:boat:

Ford8N
07-22-2008, 5:51 AM
Anyone else get the impression that he was trying to hide the fact that he was using an illegally chopped down shotgun? Kind of odd how he always goes out of his way to show only the action and nothing more.

Yes.

But you need to get out of the liberal Kalifornia mind set that anything that has to do with guns is some how illegal:willy_nilly:. It's probably SBS with a stamp:shifty:. Although the stamp would cost more than the H&R.;)

ryno066
07-22-2008, 7:26 AM
The guy in the video reminds me of Junior from Reno 911.

Utha Schleigle
07-22-2008, 7:24 PM
XCEamGUO9Hs

He missed an opportunity to shoot the gas can - shown in the opening of the
video. The double barrel with the exploded chamber looked like a modern gun that is designed to rip open up one line up the barrel like a zipper. He does have one good barrel left - but the GUN Smith should head space it and he will have another single barrel to test his hand loads. My uncle miss-loaded a damascus barrelled shotgun. His still has chunks of shot gun in his arm. I shoot factory loaded ammo.

Nice grass in Kentucky or ?????? down south.

Shot gun shoot #4 - shoot full gas can with hillbilly flag on top on fire. Freon cans are fun to shoot with shot gun- as they fly around they freeze the air and everthing in their path.

It is fun to shoot phone books. Will try some out. The good thing is every one has one - and you can reproduce the same experiment. To get a steel plate exactly like this lucky dude (lucky because a dime could have bounced back and hit his wife's camera) would be difflecult. Won't try dimes. The platter disc rounds were sold as "safer rounds" - you know bigger splatter with less pentration for indoor use.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-22-2008, 7:35 PM
Dines work ok,Just use a 10 ga.