PDA

View Full Version : Self/home defense handgun, small-ish hands

C_1
07-08-2008, 8:10 PM
I want to buy a handgun for home and self defense, and possibly, for concealed carry. I have to consider my small-ish hands, so perhaps a compact, with a single stack mag, 10 round max (California).

I can fit a size medium Mechanix glove (a little loose), and a size small (which is a little tight).

I really like the Glock 19/23 but its a little too big/blocky. However, I can shoot them both pretty well; the 40sw is a little snappier. But something like a BHP or 1911 feels better in the hand.

I had the chance to hold a XD40 and M&P40, both have, for lack of a better explanation, an awkward balance, but both fits my hand well. The interchangable palm swells on the M&P is a useful feature. Any other guns like this?

I don't really have a preference on polymer or steel frames. I just need something reliable. As for caliber. A Four-Five's recoil is not too uncontrollable. And a Nine will do, plus, its more comfortable and easy to shoot.

I don't really want a revolver, Bersa, Kel-Tec, or Kahr.

Should I just stick with the Glock 19?

Suggestions, recommendations, feedback, comments, input, opinions, insight, experiences, etc etc..

Slayer
07-08-2008, 8:17 PM
GO M&P!

Seriously, buy the gun. Flawless weapon

H2H
07-08-2008, 8:18 PM
I really like the G19.

Juicymeat
07-08-2008, 8:18 PM
Your hand size sounds exactly like mine with the Mechanix reference. I'd recommend you look into the same two guns I chose between as my first gun which serves the same purposes as yours, a CZ P01 and a SIG P225/6. Overall I the P6 fit in my hand better and came at an overall nicer price package, but I may end up picking up the P01 as my second gun.

EDIT: The Glock 19 also felt like total crap in my hands, couldn't get used to it no matter how much I changed my grip, didn't care for the trigger either.

bear308
07-08-2008, 8:23 PM
Money = HK P7
Not Money = Sig 225/P6
I f you like the high power try a CZ, or EAA, Sig 239 might work, HK P2000.
The glock 19 or XD are a pretty good option.

blackhawk411
07-08-2008, 8:28 PM
Glock 19, Sig P6. Probably go with Glock 19 or 23 if I were you though.

Also try: Kahr Arms handguns, Springfield EMP (Hard to get).

Go hold a CZ before buying because I find the trigger hard to reach (although you should be using your fingertip I still find it a little too far to reach for me). Good luck

C_1
07-08-2008, 8:37 PM
The M&P is not bad at all. I like the serrations and interchangable palm swells.
I kind of don't like the grip safety, on polymer frames (ie: XD), but on 1911s, yes..
I really like the G19 as well. Totally reliable but blocky.
CZ P01, havent seen it in person or held it, but Ill check trigger reach, given the chance.
The Sig P226 is a little pricy. Could get a Kimber with the same price.
HKs I can't afford right now. Definitely nice guns.
Dont really like Kahrs..
Springfield EMP a little on the expensive side, but super nice.

These are all good suggestions and I will look into them some more. Thanks. Any more recommendations are appreciated.

tonelar
07-08-2008, 8:41 PM
above are some excellent suggestions, however
if you find one used or ion consignment-
S&W 3913 or 3914 are great single stack /compact pistols.

goathead
07-08-2008, 8:44 PM
GLOCK 19

heycorey
07-08-2008, 8:48 PM
Try an XD-9 Sub-Compact with a Pierce Grip on the magazine ... go on ... try it ... you'll like it!

Waldog
07-08-2008, 8:56 PM
My wife has small hands and she LOVES her new S&W M&P 9mm. The inter-changeable grips is what sold her. And, it is a lot more comfortable in the hand than the Glock or XD.

happy_gunner
07-08-2008, 9:11 PM
have you ever tried the Walther P99?

Bukowski
07-08-2008, 9:14 PM
One of my favorite guns is the Glock 19.

On a whim I bought an MP45 to see what the hype was about. I still love the Glock, but the *cough* MP45 *cough* is starting to feel much more comfortable. I use the smallest palm swell.

Right now the P6 is an incredible deal on a nice piece, but for a new gun the MP is a tough value to beat.

ciscosixgun
07-08-2008, 9:18 PM
I really like the Glock 19/23 but its a little too big/blocky. However, I can shoot them both pretty well; the 40sw is a little snappier. But something like a BHP or 1911 feels better in the hand.

No brainer, buy the one that feels better in your hand, dosen't matter what anyone else says.

LAK Supply
07-08-2008, 9:24 PM
Glock 26, or S&W 442. I have both, and those alternate as CCW along with the P3AT. It depends on how I'm carrying.... pocket generally = Keltec or 442, and IWB = G26 or 442.

IH8CALAWS
07-08-2008, 9:29 PM
If you want cheap go with the sig p6, or for some more I would go with a commander lenght 1911 in 9mm or possibly .40 cal. right now my money is low so I had to go with the sig. I realy wanted a little brother for my full size springfield. I guess I can wait another month.

CrippledPidgeon
07-08-2008, 9:31 PM
have you ever tried the Walther P99?

I have a friend who swears by his P99. I, on the other hand, prefer my HK P7M8 (last time to the range, I easily did a 1.5" group at 7 yards, and I've only been shooting for a year, and that gun for 6 months). I'm considering getting a P2000, but yea... since my P7 already fulfills that role of being a compact 9mm...

Lissauer
07-08-2008, 9:41 PM
I would give Beretta a look. their grips tend to be a little more manageable in smaller hands. My 96G is my wifes favorite to shoot.

OutlawDon
07-08-2008, 9:50 PM
Have you looked at the FNP-9?

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Image201.jpg

http://www.best9mm.com/

"Made in USA! The finish and quality of the FN FNP-9 is very good. If you are a Sig pistol fan, you will like this gun. The FNP-9 handles like a P229, only lighter weight. Out to 15 yards, the FNP-9 is very accurate. It has one of the best triggers you will find on a carry pistol. A nice feature for those with small or large hands is you can swap out backstraps. Good gun for your lady. I like the standard DA/SA with no goofy trigger saftey. Feeds any 9mm ammo great, icluding the greasy Russian stuff. The FNP-9 is one of the best holster guns you can get! Cops should love this gun. It's a keeper! Same for the Browning Pro."

bernieb90
07-08-2008, 9:56 PM
I have very small hands, and have struggled with bulky gripped guns. Then I discovered the 1911 with slim grips. I can get a perfect grip on the pistol and can even make good hits with weak and strong hand holds.

My other choice would be the M&P which has good ergonomics and interchangable backstraps.

tom_92673
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Just picked up a Kimber ultra CDP and I couldn't be happier. It has a less severe kick than my XD SC .40 and is by far more accurate.

mblat
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Like somebody said - if you have $$$ then P7 is the ticket. Single stack 8 rounds of 100% reliable feeding, size of compact nearing subcompact but has 4" barrel..... it is clear winner. But it will cost you!
I don't think cz will work for you - trigger reach for DA pull is... sizable. You may want to take a look at SA variants thought.

P2000 also have interchangeable grips.... but as think this gun is overpriced (and I have one BTW - want to buy it? :D). M&P will do everything P2000 does for 2/3 of the price. Trigger on P2000 is better, but not $250 better.

I really like M&Ps ( and shameless plug - have one for sale here ) I think they will earn BIG plastic gun market share and for the good reason - they are inherently accurate, well made.... if only damn trigger would be a bit better....but I hear it will get better with use.....

I can't recommend P6s for HD. Too many of them have trouble reliably feeding hollow points and I still haven't heard the verdict if it is problem that can be 100% fixed. And without HP 9mm isn't my idea of HD caliber.

BTW: if single stack mag is the must - I don't think you have too many choices here in CA. If you looking for QUALITY and RELIABILITY at the same time some 1911 variant will probably be way to go.

Sobriquet
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
If you can afford it, an H&K P7M8 is a primo weapon.

If you want something a little less, I strongly suggest you take a look at the P2000. It has adjustable backstraps so you can get the one to fit your hand. It's an updated USP Compact basically.

For a self-defense gun.. avoid Glock 19's. I'm not staking my life on a weapon that has a documented history of jamming in a way that can't be cleared.

C_1
07-09-2008, 1:48 AM
Considering:
G 19
M&P9 C
XD9 C
FNP-9
Kahr CW9/PF-9
Walter P99
Sig P6/P225
CZ P-01
KH P7
Bersa Thunder 9
KelTec P11/PF-9

Leaning towards:
M&P9 C
FNP-9
Kahr CW9093

The 1911 single stack is a good choice, but I'll save that for my second gun (in .45acp).

But are there any other single stack 9mm or handguns with a small grip?

randy
07-09-2008, 2:07 AM
Bear308 has lots of experience fitting people with small hands. We have a friend that is small in sature and small hands she shoots the CZ75 quite well. It was the first auto she could comfortably rack the slide and shoot on her own.

She's much more capable now, and shoots just about everything.

C_1
07-09-2008, 2:15 AM
I can shoot the G19 and G23 pretty well. And racking the slide is not a problem. I've shot 45s and its not too hard to handle. Its just that, for a first handgun, I want something that will fit my hand. More grip, comfort, better experience, etc etc..

Sobriquet
07-09-2008, 2:59 AM
You asked if there are any more single stack 9mm's you should check out and then ignored good suggestions. People suggested the P7M8 and P2000 - both pieces that are superior to a lot of the stuff on your list and a lot more reliable.

Miltiades
07-09-2008, 3:25 AM
I'm surprised there haven't been more comments about the Sig P239, which fits your spec perfectly for a single stack 9mm that will fit smaller hands. I have both a P239 in 9mm and a Glock 19, and the Sig is considerably more comfortable in the grip than the Glock.

The P239 is also perfectly reliable and quite accurate, with a good trigger feel and good looks.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SigP239_23.jpg

PzKfW
07-09-2008, 4:06 AM
J frame

X-NewYawker
07-09-2008, 7:29 AM
+1 S&W 3913
Eight rounds and fits like a size medium glove!

M. D. Van Norman
07-09-2008, 7:55 AM
We have the same size hands. :)

Going down the size spectrum

SIG-Sauer P220 (now has slim grips available)
Colt-Browning 1911-style pistol with slim grips (and possibly flat mainspring housing)
SIG-Sauer P225 (or P6)
SIG-Sauer P239
Kahr K-series
Makarov (military)

These are all single-stack pistols with a capacity of eight rounds or better that fit my smallish hands well.

hk4ca
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Have you looked at the FNP-9?

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Image201.jpg

http://www.best9mm.com/

"Made in USA! The finish and quality of the FN FNP-9 is very good. If you are a Sig pistol fan, you will like this gun. The FNP-9 handles like a P229, only lighter weight. Out to 15 yards, the FNP-9 is very accurate. It has one of the best triggers you will find on a carry pistol. A nice feature for those with small or large hands is you can swap out backstraps. Good gun for your lady. I like the standard DA/SA with no goofy trigger saftey. Feeds any 9mm ammo great, icluding the greasy Russian stuff. The FNP-9 is one of the best holster guns you can get! Cops should love this gun. It's a keeper! Same for the Browning Pro."

FNP is one of the underrated gun. I was looking into for awhile and one seller stated it's illegal in CA :shrug: I never really looked into the roster.

My favorite compact gun would be uspc 9 or 45. I have both and i completely trust it.

WokMaster1
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I want to buy a handgun for home and self defense, and possibly, for concealed carry. I have to consider my small-ish hands, so perhaps a compact, with a single stack mag, 10 round max (California).

I can fit a size medium Mechanix glove (a little loose), and a size small (which is a little tight).

I had the chance to hold a XD40 and M&P40, both have, for lack of a better explanation, an awkward balance, but both fits my hand well. The interchangable palm swells on the M&P is a useful feature. Any other guns like this?

I don't really have a preference on polymer or steel frames. I just need something reliable. As for caliber. A Four-Five's recoil is not too uncontrollable. And a Nine will do, plus, its more comfortable and easy to shoot.

I don't really want a revolver, Bersa, Kel-Tec, or Kahr.

Should I just stick with the Glock 19?

Suggestions, recommendations, feedback, comments, input, opinions, insight, experiences, etc etc..

go to a local gun range that rents handguns. Try all that pleases your eye. Take it from there.

Jeff P
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I would take the range rental route, an indoor range with variable distance target setup. Make a list of pistols you want to try and go at it. I prefer a HK P2000 full size in SW.40. Nice fit for me and will take a light and or lazer. It is also easy to clean and lube.

zman
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
A. Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol)
B. XD9 Subcompact with Pearce Grip

+1 on going to the range/gun shops to physically feel the guns out although I doubt if you'll find an EMP right now since it's HAWT!

C_1
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. All of this information is just making it harder on me to pick a gun. I really wish I could have them all. But I guess the best thing to do is take this big list with me to the range and hold them all. Hopefully, I get to shoot some of them.

Bersa Thunder 9
CZ P-01
CZ 75D PCR
FN P-9
Glock 19
HK P7
HK P2000
HK USP C
Kahr CW9
Kahr P9
KelTec P11
KelTec PF-9
Kimber Ultra
S&W M&P9C
S&W 3913
Sig P6
Sig P220
Sig P225
Sig P229
Sig P239
Springfield XD9C
Springfield EMP
Taurus Pro 111
Walter P99

Is there anything else that I should add? I just want to make sure I have a good, and long list, for the guys at the gun store/ pistol range..

C_1
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Anything else that fits these criteria?
1) a comfortable grip for small/med size hands (probably a single stack)
2) reliable and easy to use for self/home defense
3) good for a possible CCW (size and weight)
4) price is definitely a factor

A single action trigger would probably be easier to pull. And interchangable grip backstraps is a plus.

(Should I start a poll and see which one gets the most votes?..:shrug:)

Sobriquet
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
HK USP Compact.
Sig P229.

C_1
07-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Here's what I think about the list so far..

Bersa Thunder 9 Haven't heard much about this one..
CZ P-01 Trigger too long?
CZ 75D PCR Trigger too long?
FN P-9 California legal?
Glock 19 Too fat
HK P7 They dont make these no more..
HK P2000 A little expensive around here..
HK USP C Haven't seen a NIB HK go for anything less than 700
Kahr CW9 Not bad.. probably best bang for the buck
Kahr P9 Like the CW9 but better and a little more expensive
KelTec P11 Got that KelTecphobia
KelTec PF-9 Not my style..
Kimber Ultra Too much money
S&W M&P9C Interchangable backstraps..
S&W 3913 Can I buy this new still?
Sig P6 I never was really interested in Sigs
Sig P220 But with all of these recommendations
Sig P225 I'll make sure to look into them
Sig P229 Which one?
Sig P239 This one?
Springfield XD9C Comes with holster/mag holder..
Springfield EMP Super expensive
Taurus Pro 111 Not too many recommendations
Walter P99 James Bond's gun w/ interchangable backstraps

But based on my needs, and some more research, and price, I think that the Kahr CW9 fits the bill nicely. It has a small grip. Is easy to operate and conceal (no safety or exposed hammer). And mostly reliable with great customer service. Plus the price is good for a first time buyer. Get my feet wet..

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
LOL, you seriously need to do some more research. First, a P2000 is less than a P7M8. Second of all, you can find a NIB USP Compact for $529 with three 10 round mags.

But hey, it's your life. Buy a cheapo if you're comfortable with that.

C_1
07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
oops.. thanks Sobriquet.. but yeah. Around here, at the local gun shops, HKs go for too much. And on a few sites they average 700-800. Havent really seen one for $530.

I want to spend the least possible, but not skimp out; spending 600 max, maybe 700 OTD. I don't think any of the guns on the list are terribly unrealiable handguns, as they have all been suggested, hopefully based on my criteria.

Thats why I was seriously considering the Glock 19. Priced fairly and has a reputation for being reliable. Its easy to use but a bit chunky. I originally didn't want a Kahr, but the features/package of the CW9, seems like a good choice.. maybe the better Kahr P9..

comandante costello
07-10-2008, 1:05 AM
I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned the Baby Eagle. I picked one up with really no expectations, and it's quickly become one of my favorite firearms. It's a double stack 9mm, but it's VERY slim and incredibly comfortable. Very similar to a CZ-75, but the consensus is that the grip is slightly smaller, and in many people's opinion, more ergonomic and comfortable. Fits my sorta smallish hands perfectly.

The all steel construction makes it easy to shoot, and shoot well. Very accurate and completely reliable in my experience. I'd strongly suggest looking into them.

milsurpshooter
07-10-2008, 1:43 AM
buy a shotgun.

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 1:47 AM
oops.. thanks Sobriquet.. but yeah. Around here, at the local gun shops, HKs go for too much. And on a few sites they average 700-800. Havent really seen one for $530.

I want to spend the least possible, but not skimp out; spending 600 max, maybe 700 OTD. I don't think any of the guns on the list are terribly unrealiable handguns, as they have all been suggested, hopefully based on my criteria.

Thats why I was seriously considering the Glock 19. Priced fairly and has a reputation for being reliable. Its easy to use but a bit chunky. I originally didn't want a Kahr, but the features/package of the CW9, seems like a good choice.. maybe the better Kahr P9..

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

Buy any brand you want. For me, if we're talking self-defense weapons, it's either HK or Sig. With the current (unfounded?) rumors of quality control problems at Sig, HK was my personal choice. Others are less risk averse than I am.

If you have your heart set on a Glock, the only one I'd consider is the original Glock 17. If that's the advice of Larry Vickers, it's good enough for me.

C_1
07-10-2008, 2:05 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about HK. I am seriously considering one.

The "unreliability" of Glocks maybe due to its wide and frequent use. So more stories of it is going to show up.. I dont know. Im just really stuck now..

Top picks..

Kahr CW9/P-9
FN P-9
HK P2000/USP-C
S&W M&P9-C
Springfield XD9-C
Glock 19
Sig P6/220/225/229/239
CZ P-01/75D PCR

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 2:57 AM
Like I said, it depends on your comfort level. Not all agree with me - most here probably don't. In my opinion, since you can't CCW and are limited to 10 round mags, there's no benefit to getting a G19 over a G17 that may be more reliable.

Go shoot as many as you can. You'll decide quickly what you like and don't. You've got some really different things going there:

Striker fired vs. hammer fired
Polymer vs. metal framed
Square grips versus contoured
External safeties vs. no safeties
DA/SA vs. DAO
placement of mag releases

rynando
07-10-2008, 3:38 AM
Second of all, you can find a NIB USP Compact for $529 with three 10 round mags.

Where?

R

deldgeetar
07-10-2008, 9:24 AM
G17. The G17 and 19 have the same grip, the only difference being the 17's is a little longer. No reason to get a G19 because most Californians can't CCW anyway. Additionally, G17s don't have Phase 3.;)

lawaia
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm surprised there haven't been more comments about the Sig P239, which fits your spec perfectly for a single stack 9mm that will fit smaller hands. I have both a P239 in 9mm and a Glock 19, and the Sig is considerably more comfortable in the grip than the Glock.

The P239 is also perfectly reliable and quite accurate, with a good trigger feel and good looks.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SigP239_23.jpg

+1 - And you can pick one up used on the sale board here for $600-$650. I believe there have been two sold here recently, and they seem to pop up fairly frequently.

FWIW, I have a HK P2000, and it is a fantastic gun!!!! I couldn't be happier with it, and am glad I spent the extra dough!!!!

Good luck!

MaceWindu
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Self/home defense handgun

How about some self/ home defense handgun training?

Mace

M. D. Van Norman
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
An H&K USP is not something I would recommend for someone with small hands. I could not reach the trigger of the one that I tried.

Casual Observer
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
FNP is one of the underrated gun. I was looking into for awhile and one seller stated it's illegal in CA :shrug: I never really looked into the roster.

My favorite compact gun would be uspc 9 or 45. I have both and i completely trust it.

The FNP-9 (and FNP-40) is legal. The FNP-45 is not.

JTROKS
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Sig P225 or P6! I have one and I love it! It's very accurate, compact and very reliable. If you do get a P6 make sure you test it with JHPs, I had a few FTF with mine during familiarization drills and after polishing the feedramp it is 100% with my JHPs. I currently have the mags loaded for almost a month now, the final test to see if it is indeed reliable.

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 7:14 PM
An H&K USP is not something I would recommend for someone with small hands. I could not reach the trigger of the one that I tried.

I recommended the USP Compact and P2000 (same size as a USPc basically) - not a USP Full Size.

Also, 9mm and .40 models are smaller than the .45acp. This holds true for both he USPc and USPf.

happy_gunner
07-10-2008, 8:00 PM
Just picked up a Kimber ultra CDP and I couldn't be happier. It has a less severe kick than my XD SC .40 and is by far more accurate.

the design of the .40 makes it a very snappy round

C_1
07-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I have heard that its hard to get a CCW but I really want it. However, for this first gun, for home/self defense, I shouldnt worry about concealability, but I still need something with a small/medium grip.

I dont really favor a type or style of pistol. I like them all. Plastic, metal, striker, hammer, safety, DA/SA, SAO, Austrian, American, etc etc. I just want something that works. Then Ill just learn to work with it. Glocks and the like are really easy to operate. Just pull the trigger. 1911 feels so good but the there are all these levers, and the weight of the metal frame, and kick of a 45 might be too much. So many choices..

Still stuck. I guess I will just have to hit up the gun store and get my hands on as much guns as possible. I wonder how excited they will be to see a youngin with a list. Helpful, I hope. Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. I have taken them all into consideration. Calguns is great!

kpw001
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
You should seriously consider the 1911. If you haven't fired one you should do so before you rule it out. Even though it is heavier than a polymer frame, the weight reduces the recoil you would feel. I have a SW Sigma 9mm and I have fired a 1911 and the recoil difference is hardly noticeable.

As for all the levers, they don't differ much from many other models...a thumb safety, slide release and the hammer. You'll find those on a number of other models you might be considering.

A side note, the Sigma is very comfortable for people with smaller hands even though it is a double stack mag. While a lot of people will bad mouth it, you'll find that the newest generation (the 9VE and the 40VE) have become far more reliable. I've fired over 3K from my 9VE without any failures. You can read more about it on this thread on the S&W forum:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/520103904/m/4561077362/p/1

Hope this helps!

C_1
07-11-2008, 2:46 PM
I really like the 1911 .45acp. but I haven't shot a gun in that configuration. I am better at shooting and like the BHP more than the G19/23. A .45acp has more kick, and a steel frame would help, but the added weight may be a bit much to, for lack of a better explaination, wave around.

I was looking at the S&W Sigma, cheap price, but was kind of steered away with reviews and recommendations. The HK looks like it has the best reputation; pricey though. A Kimber cost about the same.

Going to Santa Cruz tomorrow. So I probably won't get to a gun shop, or range, until next week Saturday.. Wack.

Juno05
07-13-2008, 6:59 PM
I tried out the FNP-9 and was less than impressed. Felt OK, but the trigger on the rental I tried was snappy, and I experienced four double-shots (pulled trigger, snapped/buzzed at my finger, shot again) within three magazines. I gave it back.

Your mileage might vary, of course. I've got smallish hands too, and I'm examining the CZ P-01 after owning a Makarov for many years. Haven't shot it yet, but I want to soon.

I also liked the XD I owned for a time. Great home-defense pistol IMO, especially the 9 Tactical. But that was me.

GW
07-13-2008, 9:04 PM
In Fresno, you have a better chance of getting a CCW than in LA or the Bay Area
That said
Glock is good, solid, simple and reliable
The High-Power is one of the best balanced and reliable handguns made IMHO, but a new one is $$$, but you won't regret it.
as for 1911's, they always seem to need a little work I have several and I enjoy them all but each one needed something or another to make it feel/shoot right for me.

As for the CW9 well, I have handled it and read enough reviews that I've just started the 10-day wait on a one,

Good luck with whatever you choose!

shellyzsweet
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
+1 - And you can pick one up used on the sale board here for $600-$650. I believe there have been two sold here recently, and they seem to pop up fairly frequently.

FWIW, I have a HK P2000, and it is a fantastic gun!!!! I couldn't be happier with it, and am glad I spent the extra dough!!!!

Good luck!

+1 again...I was thinking the whole time you should go with a sig 239. I have the same hand size as you. The initial grips felt a lil skinny, I got a set of houge grips and it was just PERFECT for me! -I also have a CCW for another state and its my CCW gun as well which is why I got the compact. But if you aren't looking for a CCW gun, perhaps you should get a full frame?? -compacts typically have more kick cause they are smaller. But I can vouch for the sig's easy cleaning which is something 1911's don't have. (maybe the new EMP does)

-off topic....love that stainless steal....makes me want another one!!! -so many guns, so little funds!

xjrat
07-14-2008, 2:24 PM
I LOVE my Steyr M40-A1. My wife is only 5 feet tall with small hands
and she can shoot it very well! Please look at the Steyr. You can get them
for around $400 from CDNN.
www.steyrclub.com or www.steyrarms.com
It points VERY well much like the way a 1911 points. The Steyr is very simple to field strip and the sights are great with the trap style.
My main reason for getting it was my wife. I wanted something that she could handle if I wasn't there, now she shoots better then me. THe grip isn't so small that I have trouble it just seems to fit well.
If you are anywhere near Ventura Ca I would be glad to let you shoot it...

13luck
07-14-2008, 2:38 PM
STI LS9 in 9mm (very slim frame)

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/ls/ls.html 1911 style)