PDA

View Full Version : two stupid asses don't make a genius

slamfire
07-07-2008, 9:26 PM

smokingloon
07-07-2008, 9:29 PM
I have read good stuff about a clp called weapon shield. Just ordered some today so hopefully it comes soon.

http://www.weaponshield.com/

savs2k
07-07-2008, 9:32 PM
no idea on auto pistols. Im using slide glide on my kimber and i love it so far. The guys at irvington arms swears by the stuff so i gave it a try and love it. I haveent heard of that many people using it though.

ghost
07-07-2008, 9:39 PM
i usually use gun oil on the internals and tetra grease for the slide.

CaliforniaLiberal
07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Here is the Word of God on Lubricants.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

CL

aca72
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Break-Free alternative: Ballistol (http://www.firehawktech.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/b%5Eindex01.asp)

What Just Happened?
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I just use break-free CLP. I'm boring and I like stuff that's easily available.

dgey
07-07-2008, 10:38 PM
shooters choice FP-10... great stuff, after it dries, it leaves a film behind. read up on the stuff... I'm sold and it's all I use on everything, and I mean everything...

FTC
07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
i was recommended "break free clp" by a shop guy and have been using it, unless theres a better alternative. got a little grease for the rails also. is there something different i should be using? slide glide? atf?

azndmd
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM

CL

wow...good explanation..well written.

I'm off to Pep Boys....:p

What Just Happened?
07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
The break-free CLP is kinda runny. That's supposed to be a problem with dust, but I haven't had any problems yet, so it's good enough for me. Weapon Shield CLP is supposed to be better.

But I don't use CLP for a cleaner, I either use Hoppes #9 or Break-Free Powder Blast. The Powder Blast works great. it gets in the nooks and crannies and cleans very well, but I just run out of the stuff too quickly.

ligamentum flavum
07-07-2008, 11:15 PM
for guns i'm not gonna shoot for a while, i use a grease. My fav so far is xf-7. it lubes well and stays where you put it. i can take it out of the safe and it's ready to go. no need for any "touch up" oiling. just grab and go. my only gripe is that it takes a little more time to apply cuz you gotta rub it into the lugs and crevices and such.

otherwise i typically run Slip2000 in everything else. its an oil so it runs more, but just a few drops and it distributes itself and you're good to go.

Pugster
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I use TW25B.

gir007
07-08-2008, 12:11 AM
break free, and hoppes 9.

Sobriquet
07-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I use Weapon Shield CLP exclusively and swear by it. It cleans well, keeps the gun from getting as dirty, and lubricates very well. I'm very satisfied.

RECCE556
07-08-2008, 1:45 AM
Mobil-1 and/or Castrol Syntech. After many years of shooting and trying damn near everything on the market, I've found that all "specialty" gun oils are bunk. After reading that link, I'm going to try ATF too.

lehn20
07-08-2008, 2:44 AM
use grease instead. XF7 is the best bar none. Oil wanders out of the gun. grease stays put!.

uscbigdawg
07-08-2008, 3:48 AM
Brian Enos' Slide Glide is pretty much the best you're ever gonna find. Gun Butter is a great option too.

On using motor oil, it absolutely works and is good. In a pinch, I've been known to take my slide over to the car and pull the dipstick.

Rich

kurac
07-08-2008, 7:11 AM
I use a colorless, odorless synthetic grease that I used to buy at Sportsmart for $4. The stuff was pretty good but now that Sports Authority took over they don't cary it in the large container anymore just in a small squeaze tube. It can be found in the fishing department.

Rust
07-08-2008, 8:43 AM
I mix Redline oil pirated out of my girlfriends bike with high pressure moly lube. I use about 50-50, it's still a little on the thick side, but none of my guns are set up so tight that its a problem. I lightly paint the stuff on every moving part, but keep it out of the bore since I don't want to take the chance of the moly trying to build up in there.

duenor
07-08-2008, 9:53 AM
I don't mind wearing down my toolbox guns, so I use only CLP. I would much rather have the slide start wearing on the frame than a gummed up gun. there is a LOT of dirt in the places i frequent.

Shenaniguns
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I have read good stuff about a clp called weapon shield. Just ordered some today so hopefully it comes soon.

http://www.weaponshield.com/

Fantastic stuff!!! I rate it as one of the best with Slide Glide and Gunbutter...

Shenaniguns
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
shooters choice FP-10... great stuff, after it dries, it leaves a film behind. read up on the stuff... I'm sold and it's all I use on everything, and I mean everything...

Weaponshield as posted above is created by the guy who created FP-10... He calls Weaponshield FP-10 version 4 ;)

maxicon
07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Another vote for Tetra Grease (and Tetra Oil). I've got a bunch of other lubes, but this is what I've used on everything for a few years now.

tonelar
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
funny thing
I was in the desert this weekend and a new pistol had no oil on it. I went for the oil dipstick on my car, but it looked kinda dirty so I just put it back and shot a different pistol. I remember looking at the ATF stick (trans fluid stays cleaner longer) but passed on the idea.

Great topic btw

kalibear
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM

Its what I use as well. Great stuff!

BlackDrop50
07-08-2008, 4:50 PM
hoppes elite but it doesn't seem to last too long. CLP Breakfreefor cleaning/oiling on the go or sometimes when storing it I'll spray it liberally.

TMC
07-08-2008, 5:34 PM
I use Mobil 1, $4.00 per quart. Its really cheap compared to most "gun oil" you buy in a little 5-6 oz bottle for $3-4.

Guns are just little machines so any oil will do and if its good enough for your 30-40K car it should work fine on your $500+ pistol. Think about it.

STAGE 2
07-08-2008, 9:15 PM
Firearm lubrication. A subject I'm passionate about. Without getting into a large tirade, here are my 2 biggest pet peeves.

1) Because the military uses CLP doesn't mean its the best.

Actually far from it. The best way to describe CLP is "jack of all trades, master of none". The military choses things based first on cost, and second on ease of issue. Instead of carrying around a bottle of solvent, bore cleaner and lube, each soldier gets a bottle of CLP. It isn't great at anything, but it can do everything. So unless you're in the sandbox rucking 100+ pounds of stuff and are limited to a single bottle for everything, do yourself a favor and get a really good lube, a really good solvent and a really good bore cleaner.

2) Motor oil is for engines, gun oil is for guns.

Sure, its all slippery stuff, but thats not the point. Firearms and engines are about as different as you can get. An engine's main problem is overheating. Its a closed system so oil can flow freely and is constantly circulating, not to mentioned continually filtered. Finally, there are not any issues with corrosion with engines.

Firearms, on the other hand need just about the opposite. There are specific areas that require lubrication and others that shouldnt have any. Overheating isn't an isue but corrosion is. There are no filters so the oil needs to be able to retain its lubricity while trapping contaminants. Thats why motor oil will have additives that gun oil wont and vice versa.

Anybody can use anything they wish, and I have no doubt that many people successfully use motor oil. However there are significant differences between the two and they are real. There really isn't any reason not to use these benefits epsecially when it means longevity for your firearm or having it not crap out on you at the wrong time.

Shenaniguns
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Just an FYI Stage2, Weaponshield CLP is not Breakfree CLP which is used by the military... It's much better :)

Sobriquet
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Just an FYI Stage2, Weaponshield CLP is not Breakfree CLP which is used by the military... It's much better :)

MUCH better. It also stinks a heck of a lot less and leaves a nice film on metal.

STAGE 2
07-09-2008, 1:30 PM

I know. When I use 'CLP' I'm referring to breakfree. That said, there isn't any all in one product that will out perform three separate specific products.

Nemo
07-09-2008, 4:27 PM
Weaponshield as posted above is created by the guy who created FP-10... He calls Weaponshield FP-10 version 4 ;)

Where are you guys getting Weaponshield? I'd like to try some, but it doesn't seem to be available at the local shops.

Sobriquet
07-09-2008, 6:30 PM
I called them directly and ordered some. The guys that work there - including the president - are very down to earth and good folks. I was shocked their management was answering the phone like that and he was happy to take my order since it was the end of the day and he'd sent the office staff home.

I'm going to try some of their Lithi-Shield on my next order, too. I've been hearing good things about it on HKPro. I'm satisfied with Weaponshield alone, but something thicker would be nice, too.

If you haven't tried WS, I'd suggest you do. I actually threw out my Breakfree because I wasn't using it anymore.

360PA
07-09-2008, 6:33 PM
I always wondered about how CLP can be a cleaner and lubricant at the same time. I mean if you're trying to get ride of the "L" with the "C" how can they co-exist in the same medium and do their respective duties?

STAGE 2
07-09-2008, 6:38 PM
I always wondered about how CLP can be a cleaner and lubricant at the same time. I mean if you're trying to get ride of the "L" with the "C" how can they co-exist in the same medium and do their respective duties?

They can do both, but as you suspect, they can't do both well. Again, CLP is a good solution to the problem that the military faces. Regular folks don't have this problem.

WokMaster1
07-09-2008, 8:01 PM
Bacon grease.....smelled great after shooting 30-40 rounds...:D Makes me hungry, too.

J/K I use white lithum grease on my handguns because I have a whole tube that I used to lube the bolt o-rings on my Bob Long Intimidator,.....

Sobriquet
07-09-2008, 8:03 PM
They can do both, but as you suspect, they can't do both well. Again, CLP is a good solution to the problem that the military faces. Regular folks don't have this problem.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you haven't tried the product yet, you'll never know. It cleans and lubricates better than Breakfree.

I don't enjoy sounding like a paid spokesman, but I've got to give credit where it's due. The stuff just works.

Shenaniguns
07-09-2008, 8:29 PM

It's pretty simple actually, once you fully clean and coat than the next time you go shooting you can simply wipe off the carbon/dirt and reapply. The formula bonds with the metal to provide a protective layer to keep anything from really sticking it.

STAGE 2
07-09-2008, 9:09 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. If you haven't tried the product yet, you'll never know. It cleans and lubricates better than Breakfree.

I never said it didn't. And I never said it wasn't better than breakfree. What I said was that an all in one solvent will never do as well as using three specific products. Thats just simple chemistry/physics.

The definition of a clp requires that there is going to be some compromise. You simply can't get around that.

dgey
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Kimber gives out a sample of FP-10 with all of their new guns. SA uses this stuff in house, even though they are contracted to use another product. SA was getting a 68% pass rate of their handguns before trying FP-10. If the gun didn't pass their test, it would go back to the gunshop for additional work. Once SA started using FP-10 as a trial, they were amazed with the new results. 98% pass rate... Just to be sure that there wasn't a mistake, the engineers went back to the old lube they were using. and once again, the pass rate of the handguns went to 68%... They use FP-10 in house but can not endorse the product because of a contract with another company.
Read up about FP-10, then try some... It'll make a believer out of you...:rolleyes:

Shenaniguns
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Kimber gives out a sample of FP-10 with all of their new guns. SA uses this stuff in house, even though they are contracted to use another product. SA was getting a 68% pass rate of their handguns before trying FP-10. If the gun didn't pass their test, it would go back to the gunshop for additional work. Once SA started using FP-10 as a trial, they were amazed with the new results. 98% pass rate... Just to be sure that there wasn't a mistake, the engineers went back to the old lube they were using. and once again, the pass rate of the handguns went to 68%... They use FP-10 in house but can not endorse the product because of a contract with another company.
Read up about FP-10, then try some... It'll make a believer out of you...:rolleyes:

You should read up on FP-10 as well, it's gone thru a few generations with the first one being the best according to it's creator, and now he's started his own company and product called Weaponshield like has been stated numerous times.

Do people not read responses before posting?

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 1:01 AM
Do people not read responses before posting?

That's expecting too much. :rolleyes:

Guntech
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I use Hoppes No. 9 Solvent to clean the whole gun and barrel, than I use FP-10 gun lube to lubricate all surfaces and put lube in the barrel and use a bore snake or patch to disperse it through the whole barrel FP-10 seems to lube good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=189955

DrjonesUSA
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I've heard of people using synthetic motor oil anyone tried that?

I've read that some of the compounds in motor oil can harm the finish of your gun.

Use gun oil for your guns and car oil for your cars - use the right tool for the job.

DrjonesUSA
07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
To answer the original post, I've been using Eezox on all my guns for years now and could not be happier with it - all my guns look & work like new, never had even a spot of rust.

1911su16b870
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
+1 on Breakfree CLP. I was watching a AGI armorer video and they recommended Simple Green for cleaning/degreasing using a tooth brush, then rinsing in water, drying with cloth followed by dry compressed air, then they sprayed CLP on the parts, wiped with a cloth and reassembled.

Satex
07-10-2008, 12:48 PM

CL

Very good article. One note that I have is that in general oil should be used on captive assemblies and grease should be used on open assemblies. So I use thin grease to lube firearms, and avoid oil as it tends to leak away.

Sobriquet
07-10-2008, 8:10 PM
To answer the original post, I've been using Eezox on all my guns for years now and could not be happier with it - all my guns look & work like new, never had even a spot of rust.

That stuff may work well, but it's toxic as hell. No thanks. Permanent nerve damage isn't something I'm willing to endure for a cleaner weapon.

ibanezfoo
07-11-2008, 7:48 AM
Anyone like Break free for auto pistols.I've tried slide glide makes the gun pretty dirty.What say you.

cheers

I use it all the time. When I do a full tear down and lube I will usually use something like Remoil but for everyday lube I use Break Free.

-Bryan

Suvorov
07-11-2008, 8:07 AM
Mil-Comm TW-25B.

Break Free as mentioned is a good jack of all trades lube and good for field work, but when I bring the guns in for cleaning, they get the Mil-Comm treatment.

http://www.mil-comm.com/

DrjonesUSA
07-11-2008, 2:56 PM
That stuff may work well, but it's toxic as hell. No thanks. Permanent nerve damage isn't something I'm willing to endure for a cleaner weapon.

Uh, I put it on my guns, not over ice in a tumbler. ;)

I'm sure Hoppe's No. 9 isn't exactly drinkable either yet it's easily the most popular gun cleaner out there and I've never heard of people keeling over from it.

:)

Sobriquet
07-11-2008, 8:04 PM
Uh, I put it on my guns, not over ice in a tumbler. ;)

I'm sure Hoppe's No. 9 isn't exactly drinkable either yet it's easily the most popular gun cleaner out there and I've never heard of people keeling over from it.

:)

Your call. I'm not using it - especially when there are non-toxic alternatives that have no odor that work just as well (if not better).

pdq_wizzard
07-11-2008, 8:13 PM
I use slide glide, found it when I was a brake mechanic, never found anything better to stop brake noise. I was having problems with my 1911 jamming (new slide/barel) gave it a try and it works great! no more jamming.

oghl888
07-11-2008, 9:08 PM
In my first few years of car ownership, I obsessed over motor oil. The car I drive today has 4x the horse power and sees the upper end of the RPM range much more often, and yet these day I put whatever major brands is on sale in the car.

Same thing happened to me with gun lube. I used to spend money on the super-duper stuff. But now-a-days I use whatever major brand that's the cheapest. The latest stuff I've used are CLP, and the Hoppe's oil that came with the cleaning kit. And I still have a tube of Lubriplate grease that I started using for slide rails 9 years ago. And in the past, I've used left-over motor oil, transmission fluids, Tetra-gun, moly-grease from auto shops (leaves black spots all over, but good lube), rem-oil, light lithium grease, etc.

So far, not a single lubrication related problem in any of my cars or guns.

Sig226
07-11-2008, 9:12 PM
Mil-Comm TW-25B.

Break Free as mentioned is a good jack of all trades lube and good for field work, but when I bring the guns in for cleaning, they get the Mil-Comm treatment.

http://www.mil-comm.com/

Truer words.....

Exiledviking
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I am quite fond of Slide Glide.

elsolo
07-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Slide Glide is great.

I use it on frame rails, bolt lugs, you name it; mobil-1 0-15 on the rest.