PDA

View Full Version : Quick handgun question

Observer
07-07-2008, 7:01 PM
Just wondering, if you have a semi auto handgun which is unloaded with the slide locked back, what is the proper method to lock the slide back into place? Can I just press on the slide stop and have the slide shoot forward? I read somewhere that doing this in an unloaded gun causes undue stress on the internals, and that you should guide the slide with your hand slowly into place. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

Slayer
07-07-2008, 7:23 PM
Pull the slide back and release it. Not fast like you're trying to win a competition or slow like the po po is tellin ya to do it. Just hold the slide, pull it back and follow it forward.

USN CHIEF
07-07-2008, 7:24 PM
What slayer said.

slowfire
07-07-2008, 8:14 PM
Make sure that the magazine is empty first unless, there is no magazine in the mag well at all.

Observer
07-07-2008, 8:32 PM
Thanks, appreciate the info.

redcliff
07-08-2008, 6:24 AM
Pull the slide back and release it. Not fast like you're trying to win a competition or slow like the po po is tellin ya to do it. Just hold the slide, pull it back and follow it forward.

I follow this method also. Years ago I used to shoot a Colt Ace a lot and I actually wore the slide stop and slide stop notch in the slide from releasing the slide onto a loaded magazine via the slide stop lever and had to have them recut. I'd still do it that way for a tactical reload, but I try to take it easy on my pistols at the range.

liketoshoot
07-08-2008, 6:34 AM
Yep! no slammin' just nice and relaxed.

heycorey
07-08-2008, 6:54 AM
It's a gun ... don't worry about it.

JTROKS
07-08-2008, 8:35 AM
Make sure that the magazine is empty first unless, there is no magazine in the mag well at all.

If you have fired the last round and you are about to bag/case the gun.
Upon slide lock
-Remove magazine
-Visual check chamber ensuring no majical round jumped in there.
-Tug/pull on the slide and follow it to battery preventing the slide slamming home.
-If you are still at the range, keep the gun pointed downrange and pull the trigger.
-The gun is now safe and ready for bagging.

Safety, safety, safety.

Army
07-08-2008, 1:56 PM
It's a gun ... don't worry about it.
Wrong. It's a machine, and like any other machine it will fail from abuse.

Ride the slide or bolt forward on any semi auto firearm that has no ammo.

Turbinator
07-08-2008, 1:57 PM
Wrong. It's a machine, and like any other machine it will fail from abuse.

Ride the slide or bolt forward on any semi auto firearm that has no ammo.

Agreed here.

Turby

bohoki
07-08-2008, 3:31 PM
Just wondering, if you have a semi auto handgun which is unloaded with the slide locked back, what is the proper method to lock the slide back into place?

wail if the slide is locked back its locked back in place?

if your car is parked how do you park it?

if you want to put it slide foward i normally push down on the slide stop with my right thumb and ease it foward with my left hand i do it this way because i normally keep an empty mag in the pistol

if you dont have a left hand you can place the barrel against the side of a table and the front of the slide on the top of the table and use it to ease it foward