PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Shotgun(edited)

DeeL2003
07-07-2008, 8:35 AM
I got a Remington "Security" 8 shot shotgun from Big 5 yesterday and have to do their "11 day" wait. This is basically Remington's 870 line and all the aftermarket stuff will fit onto this "Security" model too? I did notice that the receiver did have "870" engraved, but wanted to make sure.

Any advice on maintenance, handling, etc. that you guys can recommend?

I read on another forum that this particular model is a rust magnet. Is that true? If so, know of any reputable shotgun refinishers?

What I got lined up so far for the 870 is the Knoxx Spec Ops stock and power pack. And plan to get a Mesa Tactical shell holder on the receiver. Is it better to just get the 6 shell or 8 shell holder?

Also I plan to get some sort of sling attachment, preferably a single point sling. Will the GG&G single point mount work with the Knoxx setup? Looks like it's mounted between the receiver and stock. Any thoughts on this.

Sorry for all the questions. Can't wait to pick this 870 up.

Vin496
07-07-2008, 8:38 AM
Shotty Hmmm?
:lurk5:

randy
07-07-2008, 8:45 AM
Save the $$$ from the stock and spend it on training. Learn the basic platform before you change it.

You can be the guy with the mall ninja gun or first be the guy that knows how to use his gun. If you do the latter you might then find out you are better off without the first.

When "ehancing your firearms KISS is the way to go.

If you put on a 8 round side saddle you might have to take a hack saw to the fore end.

Good luck

AJAX22
07-07-2008, 9:03 AM
Hey don't bug the guy too much, I still call em a 'gauge' now and then...

Its cooler than that b.s. denzell movie where they called it a 'crowd pleaser'

But its still not as cool as what my bro calls his... the "Dr. Phill" it solves all your problems ;)

69Mach1
07-07-2008, 9:06 AM
My Remington "street howitzer" can attract rust, so I oil it down when I put it in the safe. So far so good, and yes, all of the 870 line is the same.

AJAX22
07-07-2008, 9:07 AM
My Remington "street howitzer" can attract rust, so I oil it down when I put it in the safe. So far so good.

heh... tombstone was a great movie

69Mach1
07-07-2008, 9:09 AM

Ah, you're quick. My favorite western.

DeeL2003
07-07-2008, 9:31 AM
Thanks for the tips so far fellas.

Hahaha....my buddies kept calling them "shotty" and it kinda stuck to me. I guess I'll just call it a shotgun just so I don't offend some of you. j/k. Naah, I'll just call it the "870". Better?:)

Randy: I already ordered the Knoxx, so I'm kinda late there. But will definitely get some training or practice first. Got an ex-Marine buddy who'll show me the ropes and now has a partner to go to the range with. It should be fun. My thinking behind the Knoxx setup was to reduce the amount of felt recoil so I can take better shots and learn quicker I guess. Getting a shotgun was near the middle of my list, but after reading all the great reviews on the Knoxx I thought I'd give the 870 a try. But I understand what you're saying.

Guntech
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I got a Remington "Security" 8 shot shotgun from Big 5 yesterday and have to do their "11 day" wait. This is basically Remington's 870 line and all the aftermarket stuff will fit onto this "Security" model too? I did notice that the receiver did have "870" engraved, but wanted to make sure.

Any advice on maintenance, handling, etc. that you guys can recommend?

I read on another forum that this particular model is a rust magnet. Is that true? If so, know of any reputable shotgun refinishers?

What I got lined up so far for the 870 is the Knoxx Spec Ops stock and power pack. And plan to get a Mesa Tactical shell holder on the receiver. Is it better to just get the 6 shell or 8 shell holder?

Also I plan to get some sort of sling attachment, preferably a single point sling. Will the GG&G single point mount work with the Knoxx setup? Looks like it's mounted between the receiver and stock. Any thoughts on this.

Sorry for all the questions. Can't wait to pick this 870 up.

Their waiting period is bull **** they when I bought my .22 their they said they forgot to send the DROS and they made me wait 19 days

Jeff.
07-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I recently bought an "on ad" shotgun from Big 5 and my 10 day wait will be over today around 5:00. But I have to wait until tomorrow according to their policy. I told the guy that the law was 10 - 24 hour periods. Period. I told him I'd be there tonight and F the 11 day company policy - the law is 10 days. He said, and I quote "if a customer is really insistant, we'll give them their gun after 10 days." So go argue your way into YOUR gun after 10 days instead of waiting 11. I will be tonight.

Two Shots
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I like the 870's the way they come, Unless you plan on Zombies the 8 rounds will be plenty who needs a saddle. Hey you got a nice SHOTTY!:43: No matter what you or others call it. Congrats and that 11 day wait is just wrong when your itching to shoot it.

VOD
07-07-2008, 5:22 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d926b3127ccec4da4120321200000040O02AbtWTZy2asg e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d926b3127ccec4db5322936500000040O02AbtWTZy2asg e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d926b3127ccec4dbbad0d37b00000040O02AbtWTZy2asg e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

Ive got pretty much what you described and i love it. Plus it impresses all teh ladyz and thats all that matters. :cool:

trykp
07-07-2008, 5:40 PM
tac star side saddle..? touchey.. :P

DeeL2003
07-07-2008, 9:09 PM
What do you guys think about the single point sling? i was looking at the GG&G mount that installs between the receiver and stock. Will this work with the Knoxx stock too?

VOD: Nice pics...that's what i want my 870 to look like. Simple, clean, and tacticool. :43:

VOD
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
What do you guys think about the single point sling? i was looking at the GG&G mount that installs between the receiver and stock. Will this work with the Knoxx stock too?

Yes, it works and its still quite comfy with the KNoxx stock, if you look close you might be able to see mine.

DeeL2003
07-08-2008, 8:16 AM
Yes, it works and its still quite comfy with the KNoxx stock, if you look close you might be able to see mine.

Oh ok, I see it. So you're going for the 3 point sling setup? I noticed the attachment on the front. You have a GG&G on the back, what's on the front?

E. Fudd
07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Wrt rust, just be sure to wipe it down after use with a rag (or paper towerl) with something like Break-Free CLP. Later, when you've worn the finish out, you can re-finish with something more anti-corrosive...

DeeL2003
07-11-2008, 3:57 PM
Still very new to 12g shotguns. Need advice on ammo for:

1. Range use for indoor/outdoor targets
2. Clays(The Big 5 employee told me the Security model is not that good for clays due to the shorter barrel. Oh well, I'm sure it will suffice.)
3. Home defense, SHTF scenarios.

Thanks.

duenor
07-11-2008, 6:57 PM
Extreme Shock shotgun ammunition. They are proven manstoppers and can also take down any animal on the African continent.

http://i34.tinypic.com/28cdr42.jpg

fusionstar
07-11-2008, 6:59 PM
If its just practice, I like to just get the cheapest birdshot they have at walmart $4/25rds and have a buddy toss clays $7.66/90disks for me. Then you can work your way up to buckshot. Right now I'm practicing with some bulk Seller & Belliot #1 buck I picked up at ammunitiontogo, So far, the S&B makes decent patterns and I will have several boxes in reserve but for HD, I have Federal Premium Tactical LE 9-00 Buck w/ Flite Control Wad. 3" patterns out of a 18" cylinder bore at 10 yards is fun.

The good thing about preparing for zombie and Iranian invasion scenarios are stocking up on ammo before they become even more ridiculously over priced.

PS: S&B shells are longer than 2 3/4" but shorter than 3" so cycling in 2 3/4" semi-autos might be an issue.

DeeL2003
07-19-2008, 8:55 AM
If its just practice, I like to just get the cheapest birdshot they have at walmart $4/25rds and have a buddy toss clays $7.66/90disks for me. Then you can work your way up to buckshot. Right now I'm practicing with some bulk Seller & Belliot #1 buck I picked up at ammunitiontogo, So far, the S&B makes decent patterns and I will have several boxes in reserve but for HD, I have Federal Premium Tactical LE 9-00 Buck w/ Flite Control Wad. 3" patterns out of a 18" cylinder bore at 10 yards is fun.

The good thing about preparing for zombie and Iranian invasion scenarios are stocking up on ammo before they become even more ridiculously over priced.

PS: S&B shells are longer than 2 3/4" but shorter than 3" so cycling in 2 3/4" semi-autos might be an issue.

So any cheap birdshot will do for clays?

How about for indoor/outdoor targets? Birdshot and your HD buckshot?

Just bought these for HD: Federal PFC154-00LR Vital-Shok Bucks 12Ga 2-3/4 9 Pellet LowRecoil W/FC. Will this do? Couldn't find any Fed LE Tactical stuff.

Are the S&B's good quality rounds comapred to Federals? I was looking at getting some #1 buck also for HD(I like how they're potent enough and will have less over penetration) but Federal brand #1's are hard to find.

Bird of Fire
07-19-2008, 10:55 AM
So any cheap birdshot will do for clays?

How about for indoor/outdoor targets? Birdshot and your HD buckshot?

Just bought these for HD: Federal PFC154-00LR Vital-Shok Bucks 12Ga 2-3/4 9 Pellet LowRecoil W/FC. Will this do? Couldn't find any Fed LE Tactical stuff.

Are the S&B's good quality rounds comapred to Federals? I was looking at getting some #1 buck also for HD(I like how they're potent enough and will have less over penetration) but Federal brand #1's are hard to find.

IMO (and this is just mine) birdshot for plinking, clays, and paper targets are more than adequate. While yes you do have to aim a shotgun, getting comfortable with loading, racking, and shooting are more important than what round you're using for practice. It's dirt cheap for birdshot at your local walmart, and that allows you to practice as much as you want.

When you plan on using the shotgun for targets that have a heartbeat, then I'd worry more about ammunition selection. For home defense, I stick with 00 federal from good ol wally world. Relatively cheap, and readily available. :)

ZOMBIEHUNTER
07-19-2008, 4:09 PM
nice i have a 870 express from big 5

BroncoBob
07-19-2008, 8:17 PM
I recently bought an "on ad" shotgun from Big 5 and my 10 day wait will be over today around 5:00. But I have to wait until tomorrow according to their policy. I told the guy that the law was 10 - 24 hour periods. Period. I told him I'd be there tonight and F the 11 day company policy - the law is 10 days. He said, and I quote "if a customer is really insistant, we'll give them their gun after 10 days." So go argue your way into YOUR gun after 10 days instead of waiting 11. I will be tonight.

Don't take their 11 day crap. Good job on reminding them what the law is not what their store/company policy is.

Quick Nick
07-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't take their 11 day crap. Good job on reminding them what the law is not what their store/company policy is.

Strange, when I went to pick up my mosin nagant rifle from them it was exactly on the 10th day. Probably because I work there part time though ;)

doc66
07-20-2008, 8:44 PM

Great shotgun to the OP. The stock recoil pad that it came with is decent. But I agree that learning to shoot it and knowing what to expect is important.

As for Tombstone, think back to the scene where the gunfight at OK Corral is about to start and "Doc" shrugs off the trench coat and pulls out the "howitzer". Its a short, side-by-side, shotgun. WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE? What brand is it? Probably Winchester right? I was in Lake Tahoe last week and visited the antique gun store by Zepher Cove and there were a bunch of side-by-side rifles there. The store owner showed some that were carried by Wells Fargo and so on. They looked really old and he said they still fired. The cheapest one I saw was $1500 and the finish was rusted. Sorry to go off track on the OP, but I just had to inquire about the Tombstone howitzer.

DeeL2003
07-29-2008, 8:08 AM
I noticed in the Knoxx packaging, I found a rubber O-ring not attached to anything. Does this go at the end of the long bolt that will attach the stock to the receiver?

Also, how much blue loctite,if any, is applied to the bolt?

Regarding form, when holding the forend, do you guys grip it firm and apply pressure towards the bbl to prevent the forend from opening the action?

Any links on the net that give great tips on proper shotgun shooting form?

Thanks

vinny_land
07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
As for Tombstone, think back to the scene where the gunfight at OK Corral is about to start and "Doc" shrugs off the trench coat and pulls out the "howitzer". Its a short, side-by-side, shotgun. WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE? What brand is it? Probably Winchester right? I was in Lake Tahoe last week and visited the antique gun store by Zepher Cove and there were a bunch of side-by-side rifles there. The store owner showed some that were carried by Wells Fargo and so on. They looked really old and he said they still fired. The cheapest one I saw was $1500 and the finish was rusted. Sorry to go off track on the OP, but I just had to inquire about the Tombstone howitzer.

A Norinco SxS (model-99 or JW2000) is a big hit with the CAS crowd. Should be under $300.