PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of MAGTECH Ammo?

macguyver77
07-07-2008, 2:12 AM
I have shot some in the past but I thought it was super dirty, lots of smoke and residue. It could have been the circumstances so I want to give them a fare shake.

Secondly what do you think is the cleanest burning ammo out there? Am I safe to say that Federal is the best? I want to hear your comments.

Thanks

gwl
07-07-2008, 6:56 AM
I've fired roughly 500 rounds of Magtech ammo in 9mm and .40 cal each in SIGS, GLOCKS, Berettas and XD pistols. Also about 300 rounds of .308 with an M1A (not the most accurate round I might add).

IMHO, as far as clean burning or lots of residue in the weapon, it's right there with Federal AE. I found it much cleaner than Wolf, UMC, Fiocchi and S&B.

Dirty ammo or not, I do a good cleaning of my firearms after a shooting session anyway.

By the way, I like your avatar.

GTXR390
07-07-2008, 7:49 AM
I'd like to also know what other people think of Magtech. It's cheaper than Federal...and i've read around that it's just as good and clean. Just looking for another alternative to shoot a lil cheaper with good quality ammo.

Other than that i've been stickin' with WWB.

i gotta agree that is one coo avatar

DeeL2003
07-07-2008, 8:02 AM
Magtech ammo is just as clean or a little bit cleaner than WWB. I've tried WWB, Magtech, and Blazer Brass. I kept sticking to the last two because you can't beat Walmart's price. It's always 3-5 bucks cheaper than the other stores.

creampuff
07-07-2008, 8:23 AM
I've used Magtech, whenever I can't buy Federal, UMC or WWB. I haven't had any problems with the 9mm or 0.40. I haven't tried any of their other calibers. I haven't noticed too much difference during or afterwards in terms of fouling. For whatever reason for me, WWB has the most fouling, and Federal the least. Magtech seems to fall somewhere in between. I suspect other people's experiences will differ from mine.

nic
07-07-2008, 8:34 AM
The only magtech ammo I've used has been their .45ACP 230gr offering. Works just fine in my 1911. At least as accurate as Fiocchi, WWB, et al, and I don't find it to be any dirtier than any other ammo. I will echo creampuff's experience that the WWB makes me do the most cleaning after a firing session.
YMMV, of course.
-Nic

yzernie
07-07-2008, 8:51 AM
My experience with MagTech has been good. I don't find it any dirtier than any other brand of ammo and most of the time a bit cleaner than most.

69Mach1
07-07-2008, 9:02 AM
Magtech .44 magnum (240 grn) is the recommended ammo for my Desert Eagle. It works great. I've also shot some .40 cal and it doesn't seem any more dirty than normal. Now Wolf on the other hand.......

Guntech
07-07-2008, 9:54 AM
Magtech .44 magnum (240 grn) is the recommended ammo for my Desert Eagle. It works great. I've also shot some .40 cal and it doesn't seem any more dirty than normal. Now Wolf on the other hand.......

Don't get me started on Wolf! I clean my AR-15 for an hour after I shoot Wolf, gotta completely take the gun apart and scrub everything and lube everything! Takes forever!

gose
07-07-2008, 9:59 AM
In 9mm, the Magtech 95gr and 115gr JHPs are some of the most accurate factory loads you can buy. From a rest, they both produce ~1" 5shot groups at 50y in my 210s. I've had great results in other guns as well.

rabbitstew
07-07-2008, 2:51 PM
I just got back from the range shooting a box of magtech 45 acp. It does produce a lot of smoke in comparison to the winchester white box I was shooting. I noticed myself shooting better with the winchester too. I'd put magtech in the same category as some of the high quality reloads. Oh I'v got a really picky 1911 and I got 2 FTF's with the magtech and 0 with winchester.

BillCA
07-07-2008, 3:26 PM
My use of Magtech is limited, but I don't find it to be much cleaner or dirtier than WWB. On the other hand, reliability seems to be hit & miss. A box of their .32 S&W Long had 3 duds (6%) but a box of .38 Special were 100%. I had problems feeding MagTech in my S&W 1911SC and found the OAL varied. Ejection was fine.

For factory practice ammo, Fiocchi seems to do fine and in my experience is a noticeably cleaner than WWB. Plus it's a tad hotter in many of their loads.

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 5:18 PM
I've shot over 5000+ rounds of 9mm and .45acp Magtech last year with no problems... John of www.proload.com highly recommends it.

sb_pete
07-07-2008, 6:27 PM
In 9mm, the Magtech 95gr and 115gr JHPs are some of the most accurate factory loads you can buy. From a rest, they both produce ~1" 5shot groups at 50y in my 210s. I've had great results in other guns as well.
You have more than one 210? You lucky bastard!:D

halifax
07-07-2008, 8:13 PM
I bought 1000 rds of .30 carbine for my cmp. It shots fine but does leave the brass and rifle dirtier than I expected.

The most disappointing thing is I intended to reload the brass but some of the primer pockets on the CBC brass is so loose they won't even hold a primer. I've had four primers just fall out as the rounds came off the press. :mad:

Slayer
07-07-2008, 8:24 PM
Made in Brazil. No thanks.

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 9:55 PM
Made in Brazil. No thanks.

So you'd rather have WWB value pack where some is contracted out in the Czech republic? :eek:

Magtech also doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd tier like Winchester (WWB and WWB Value Pack) and Federal (American Eagle, Independence).

John Koppel who is an Ordinance Engineer and made the once fabulous Proload Ammo highly recommends this stuff, and if you want to know exactly why give him a call from the page I posted above.

Slayer
07-07-2008, 10:00 PM
So you'd rather have WWB value pack where some is contracted out in the Czech republic? :eek:

Magtech also doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd tier like Winchester (WWB and WWB Value Pack) and Federal (American Eagle, Independence).

John Koppel who is an Ordinance Engineer and made the once fabulous Proload Ammo highly recommends this stuff, and if you want to know exactly why give him a call from the page I posted above.

All the Winchester I've bought says MADE IN USA. Value Pack or not. Fail to prove your point much?

aca72
07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I give Magtech two thumbs up!

bear308
07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I've has some inconsistency in their .223 55gr. offering, rounds looked a little hinky to the naked eye, and to this day the only malfunctions I've had with my olls have been with magtech. The handgun stuff has seemed fine every time I've tried it.

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
All the Winchester I've bought says MADE IN USA. Value Pack or not. Fail to prove your point much?

Live in ignorance, it doesn't hurt me :) With some of the Value Pack, not 100% of the bullet is made in the USA... It's like the Toyota Camry's that are considered made in the USA with 70% or so US made content and assembled here.

Slayer
07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Live in ignorance, it doesn't hurt me :) With some of the Value Pack, not 100% of the bullet is made in the USA... It's like the Toyota Camry's that are considered made in the USA with 70% or so US made content and assembled here.

Let's see a link, amigo. Those toyotas are assembled here, from chicom parts. Not the same

bohoki
07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
i think it is great better than s&b in my opinion

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I can only find some old threads that show what I'm talking about, some are marked made in the USA some aren't and some say made somewhere else. I've known of this for years and thought it was common knowledge by now.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=3671
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=3053

bswp
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I got a box of MagTech and a box of Fiocchi when I picked up my P6, and look forward to running them through in some practice at Chabot. FMJ 115 gr.

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Let's see a link, amigo. Those toyotas are assembled here, from chicom parts. Not the same

Read this article before you think that anymore...
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/inthenews/07-10-06.html

Blue
07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I've burned up about 2500 rounds of it between my 9mm AR and my XD9. Haven't had any real problems to speak of.

Slayer
07-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I can only find some old threads that show what I'm talking about, some are marked made in the USA some aren't and some say made somewhere else. I've known of this for years and thought it was common knowledge by now.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=3671
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=3053

Yeah, you got me :rolleyes:

Shenaniguns
07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, you got me :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to "get you", this is pretty well known actually, not my fault you missed it. BTW, I have over a case of WWB 9mm that I love using in my Glocks though I'm cautious about using it in my harder to replace 1911.

hkfooey
07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
No problem with Magtech... good price, just like S&B... I still think Wolf is the "dirtiest"... IMHO... :)

BillCA
07-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I've shot over 5000+ rounds of 9mm and .45acp Magtech last year with no problems... John of www.proload.com (http://www.proload.com) highly recommends it.

Based on my past experiences with Proload, that's not much of a recommendation.

lehn20
07-08-2008, 2:46 AM
If your gun goes bang, then who cares!
Magtech has always served me fine.

Shenaniguns
07-08-2008, 6:19 AM
Based on my past experiences with Proload, that's not much of a recommendation.

I rarely find any unsatisfied customers of Proload, do tell of your experience...

BillCA
07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
If this is the same Pro-Load that reloads ammo, I quit using their stuff in 1996. That was because I had some of their .357 158g loads with widely varying charges. They ranged from .38 Special recoil levels to one round which caused the primer to flow into the FP hole and split the case neck.

A friend later bought some .45ACP that appeared to be a mixed batch of full power and target loads. He pulled some apart and found 230, 200 and 185 gr bullets in the same lot of 250.

Perhaps their Q.C. has improved in the last decade, but I'd approach them with caution. It was this experience that pushed me to MagTech for a short time, until I had problems with their products too.

hk4ca
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I found magtech, wwb, and umc to be dirty. I got so use to the dirtiness from practice ammo that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Shenaniguns
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
If this is the same Pro-Load that reloads ammo, I quit using their stuff in 1996. That was because I had some of their .357 158g loads with widely varying charges. They ranged from .38 Special recoil levels to one round which caused the primer to flow into the FP hole and split the case neck.

A friend later bought some .45ACP that appeared to be a mixed batch of full power and target loads. He pulled some apart and found 230, 200 and 185 gr bullets in the same lot of 250.

Perhaps their Q.C. has improved in the last decade, but I'd approach them with caution. It was this experience that pushed me to MagTech for a short time, until I had problems with their products too.

I'm not aware of Pro-Load reloads though their newly made ammo was highly regarded until John closed up 5 or so years ago.

Here's some testimonial:
http://www.ammobank.com/pl-endorse.html

PROLOAD ENSIGN

BULLETEndorsements

We could go on and on about how good "Pro Load Tactical Grade Ammunition" is, you know things like exceptional accuracy, deep penetration, consistent velocities etc... However, it might be more convincing if you heard from some of the folks who use "Pro Load" on a daily basis, some of whom stake their lives or business reputation on it's performance!

Wayne Novak

"At Novak's we strive to maintain the highest standards of accuracy and reliability on the handguns we service. We take pleasure in recommending Pro Load Professional Grade Ammunition, because in our experience, it has proven to be accurate, reliable and consistent therefor allowing clients to realize the full potential."

Wayne Novak, Proprietor of Novak's - Parkersburg, WV.

Wiley Clapp

"Over the past dozen years, I have fired literally tens of thousands of rounds of Pro Load Ammo. This came in the course of preparing many different magazine articles, as well as when I have attended some of the best shooting schools in the country. I cannot recall even a single failure --- the ammo is totally reliable. Itís also among the top choices for both consistency and accuracy. Pro Load gets my unqualified endorsement."

Wiley Clapp - Nationally recognized gun writer

Gunsite Training Center

I can easily give the highest recommendations for "Pro Load Ammunition" Gunsite endorses "Pro Load Ammunition" because of the quality of performance, our students deserve the best.

Richard Jee, President - Gunsite Training Center

Lethal Force Institute

"Pro Load ammunition, one of Americaís most highly acclaimed manufacturers has a reputation for superb accuracy and quality control. I have never been disappointed with their ammunition"

Massad Ayoob - Lethal Force Institute

Aro-Tek Ltd

"As you know we use "Pro Load" for all our range testing . The consistent uniformity of the load is conducive to our purpose. We have found it to be very clean ammunition. The high accuracy and reliability are such that we can, and do recommend "Pro Load" to our customers."

Morris Dagley, Aro-Tek Ltd.

Rangemaster-Police Training Ctr., Burbank, CA

"Pro Load Ammunition is our authorized training and duty ammunition. Burbank's range staff conducts research and testing each year and has found "Pro Load Ammunition to be exceptional. The slightly increased expense of high quality training and or duty ammunition is more than repaid by improved weapon/cartridge performance, officer safety, and the protection of the department's investment in its handguns."

Larry J. Nichols, Rangemaster-Police Training Ctr., Burbank, CA.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_152_25/ai_72293275/print

FindArticles > American Handgunner > May, 2001 > Article > Print friendly

Pro Load Ammunition
Charles E. Petty

Pro Load ammunition is one of the best kept secrets in the ammunition industry. Compared to the biggies, Pro Load is a small outfit. That is their charm. And because of that, they turn out some very fine ammo. The ammo that comes from this small Idaho company makes no claims for warp speed velocities or dragon-slaying bullets--it's just good stuff.

Pro Load offers 30 handgun cartridges from .380 ACP up to .44 Magnum. None of them are "reloads" since Pro Load uses only new brass. Although made for them by Starline, most cases have the Pro Load headstamp. A few have the Starline stamp, but all of Pro Load's ammo is loaded in shiny, bright, nickel-plated cases.

While Pro Load has some bullets made specifically for them, most of their hollowpoints look very familiar. I don't think we're supposed to say this, but many have an appearance that looks strikingly like Speer Gold Dots. If that guess is accurate, it would contribute to the fact that the majority of their duty and defense loads shoot so accurately.

It isn't always easy to find Pro Load ammo, so if there isn't a dealer nearby, you can buy direct from the factory. Quantity pricing is available and orders over $50 are shipped prepaid. A complete list is available on their website.

COPYRIGHT 2001 Publishers' Development Corporation
COPYRIGHT 2001 Gale Group