PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like double barreled Shotguns?

Mac Attack
07-06-2008, 8:59 PM
I do not own a shotty but have been thinking about buying one for many years. I primarily was interested in the 870 or the 590A1 but since I would not shoot them as much as a handgun or muzzleloader I never got around to buying one. Lately, I have been having the urge to purchase a shotty but now my ideals have switched from a pump gun to a old school double barreled side by side double trigger shotty.

Does anyone else like side by side shotguns? I am interested in an older shotty that has a nice patina, worn wood... basically an antique version. I think I might check out a few gun stores and pawnshops and see if I can find one for a decent price.

sorensen440
07-06-2008, 9:00 PM
yes

bohoki
07-06-2008, 9:05 PM
i got a winchester double, really makes me feel like a granny hillbilly when i shoot it; as odd as it sounds i prefer firing it over my 1897

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_6218.jpg

Pugster
07-06-2008, 9:25 PM
I too like the SxS although I currently dont own one. It's on my to-do list.

I have been eyeing the Norinco clone or the Remington SPR SxS.

I do not own a shotty but have been thinking about buying one for many years. I primarily was interested in the 870 or the 590A1 but since I would not shoot them as much as a handgun or muzzleloader I never got around to buying one. Lately, I have been having the urge to purchase a shotty but now my ideals have switched from a pump gun to a old school double barreled side by side double trigger shotty.

Does anyone else like side by side shotguns? I am interested in an older shotty that has a nice patina, worn wood... basically an antique version. I think I might check out a few gun stores and pawnshops and see if I can find one for a decent price.

Beelzy
07-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Nothing quite like hitting the field with a nice SxS. I prefer mine with a sweet
plum patina and double triggers.

savasyn
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Hehe, he said "shotty".
;)

Two Shots
07-06-2008, 11:03 PM
If you find a Old SxS beware of Damascus barrels (A barrel formed by twisting and welding strips of metal around a hard die. Not commonly used now due to its inablitiy to handle high cartridge pressure on modern ammunition) They were made for Black powder.

Mikeb
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I've got a win 24 ... I think it's the same as the photo Bohoki posted above. I don't shoot it much. I'm a member out at Richond Rod and Gun Club and they don't allow lead shot and I'm not sure my gun likes steel. It shoots 2 3/4 " shells. I think the win 21 is considered a better model. I think mine is from the 30's.
take care
Mike

11Z50
07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I have a Stevens 12 ga SXS that I shot for many years. My wife bought me a Remington Spartan a couple years ago that is really a beautiful piece.

The SXS is a classic platform that is a must have in every serious shooter's collection. I own pump guns and semi-autos, but there are times I enjoy the feel and nostalgia of the traditional side-by-side.

duenor
07-07-2008, 12:15 AM
You know, SxS shotguns have been around for so long that I figured it would be easy to find cheap SXS guns on gunbroker on a C&R.

NOPE!

it is easier to find cheap pumps of good quality than cheap SXS of good quality. i dont get it, but whatever =(

randy
07-07-2008, 6:06 AM
There are some reproductions out there the one I liked and I don't remember the model but it had dogs head? dog ears hammers and two triggers.

sargenv
07-07-2008, 8:14 AM
I've never really been a fan of the side by side. I'm really not sure why since I was a big fan of western movies. I guess I've always been spoiled by the over/unders. I prefer a single trigger and the mechanical (not recoil) resets. Just personal preference I guess. They seem to point and reload better since the O/U's usually have shell ejectors as opposed to the S/S guns I've handled.

Jeff.
07-07-2008, 9:05 AM
I've got a Stevens Model 311 side by side in 20g. It's nothing special, but a fun gun nonetheless, also has sentimental value. Pulling both triggers at the same time is always fun to any new shooters I take out. Haha.

Jamez
07-07-2008, 5:15 PM
Anyone have a review of Stoeger coach guns?

trykp
07-07-2008, 5:43 PM
i used to like S/S a lot. i still like them but ive taken a liking to the Over/Unders.

I want to get but they are still rather pricey.

5150Marcelo
07-07-2008, 6:06 PM
i used to like S/S a lot. i still like them but ive taken a liking to the Over/Unders.

I want to get but they are still rather pricey.

Exactly...
I also will e looking for an O/U here pretty soon. Not to thread jack but, anybody got any recommendations for a decent one without paying too much more then 1k-ish?

future9er24
07-13-2008, 11:54 PM
:D

Yes sir I do

http://photos-114.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v194/170/16/1062510114/n1062510114_30069681_9854.jpg

Mine's an Interstate side by side that I got at Big 5

Moonclip
07-14-2008, 2:27 AM
Exactly...
I also will e looking for an O/U here pretty soon. Not to thread jack but, anybody got any recommendations for a decent one without paying too much more then 1k-ish?

What do you want to do with it, trap? If you want a cool o/u check out a Stoeger Outback. A riot short barrel version of an o/u!

07-14-2008, 2:30 AM
I too am a sucker for a good ole SxS.

yellowfin
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
If you do a bit of shopping see if you can snag a Belgian made Browning. There hasn't been a better gun made for the money before or since. On the new end the CZ's are looking pretty good.