PDA

View Full Version : Lending a Handgun to a friend?

BlackReef
07-06-2008, 7:32 PM
Just curious about what the law says about loaning a Handgun to a friend for a few days. I searched on this and the only thing I found was that it has to be less than 30 days, and both over 21 years of age (which we are) but I don't know if the rules apply to all Firearms or just long guns, etc.

Please help, thanks

spsellars
07-06-2008, 7:35 PM
HSC is required for handgun loans too.

Greg-Dawg
07-06-2008, 7:53 PM
It's fine with me (DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer), but I hope your friend doesn't have a criminal record....does he?

Julians4x4
07-06-2008, 7:57 PM
It's fine with me (DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer), but I hope your friend doesn't have a criminal record....does he?

+1:eek:

BlackReef
07-06-2008, 8:16 PM
He's got a clean record. He wanted to borrow my Glock 35 for a few days. He has a HSC (he got it the same time I got mine)

Thanks for the help

bwiese
07-06-2008, 9:11 PM
A section of 12078PC deals with 'infrequent loans' of firerarms.

Requirements:
- the recipient is nonprohibited;
- the loan is for a lawful purpose;
- the length of loan is for under 30 days (perhaps 30 days or less, not sure);
- the loan is 'infrequent' (so this loan should not happen every other month);
- if the gun is a handgun, the borrower needs to have a valid HSC card;.

Note that if the lent firearm were illegally transported such that it resulted in a CCW violation/charge, the gun would not be DROSed to the borrower and would likely result in an initial felony charge.

leitung
07-07-2008, 2:52 PM
Note,
As long as the loan is less than 30days, he is not prohibited from possessing a gun, and he has a HSC or valid exemption (I.E PC.832).

Note you can also loan someone 18 and older a handgun.. My dad loans me his handguns all the time.. I am 19 with a valid HSC exemption..

Moonclip
07-07-2008, 3:50 PM
If you are 18-20 with an HSC though, if it's not your dad, I think the person loaning you the handgun can only do so for 10 days.

Miltiades
07-07-2008, 5:16 PM
The comments on this question have dealt with the legality of loaning a handgun to someone. I would also be concerned about the liability involved.

I think we can assume that the person borrowing the gun has no significant assets, otherwise they would buy their own gun and not borrow yours. What if they accidentally discharge the gun and the bullet strikes someone, killing or injuring them? Do you think there will be a lawsuit for damages? Do you think the gun's owner (you) might also be named in the suit, along with the person who borrowed the gun and had the accidental discharge?

The allegation would be that the gun's owner recklessly loaned the gun to an inexperienced person who did not understand guns, leading to an accident that caused great damage to the plaintiff. The owner would probably be found liable and have to pay a large amount to the plaintiff.

This is why I wouldn't loan a gun to anybody. Let them buy their own gun for $400 or $500 and not involve you in a potential liability disaster.

NoobShooter
07-07-2008, 5:24 PM
Liability is the primary reason I wouldn't loan any of my guns to friends.

If you're a good friend, loan him the money to purchase a gun for himself. Then you'll both be able to enjoy the shooting sports together.
:13::73:

savs2k
07-07-2008, 8:40 PM
Note,
As long as the loan is less than 30days, he is not prohibited from possessing a gun, and he has a HSC or valid exemption (I.E PC.832).

Note you can also loan someone 18 and older a handgun.. My dad loans me his handguns all the time.. I am 19 with a valid HSC exemption..

can somebody confirm this? If I wanted to lend my 20 year old my handgun and he had a HSC there would be no problems?

savs2k
07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
intresting.. I read this thread and thought just incase my brother wanted to borrow my handguns that I would let him borrow after I confirmed that you can lend a person under 21 a handgun is they had a HSC. So i sent him down to target masters west just incase to take his test and apperently they wont let him take the test because he is not 21. BS anyone? I read a few times that it was legal for a person under 21 to take the test.

Moonclip
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
It is BS, an 18-20 year old can take the HSC test. Call DOJ/BOF for mor einfo on this if you want. I did.

savs2k
07-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Thats what I thought. I remember being on the DOJ and it said the only req was to be 18 years of age to take the test. Guess I will have him do it else where

hk4ca
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I agreed with some of the earlier posts. I would never ever lend any guns to anybody. I know your intention is to lend it to him to begin with so there's stopping you there i guess. Just looking out for fellow gun owners :D I would lend him $500 to buy it and take his rolex as a collateral. :43: