PDA

View Full Version : Buck Mark .22 Hunter disassembly/cleaning

harpman1
07-06-2008, 3:30 PM
I have a Browning Buck Mark Hunter w/scope & am unable to find a youtube video re: disassembly & reassembly.
It came w/o a manual.

I only need to take it down for a good cleaning, not repairs.
Any suggestions?

Oh, and I am a semi-moron.

Thank you guys in advance.

I get the best advice here. Everytime.

fairfaxjim
07-06-2008, 4:02 PM
On mine, you remove the allen screw in the scope rail behind the rear sight, and loosen the slotted screw in the frame in front of the trigger guard and the barrel and rail come off. Then you remove the guide rod and recoil spring, there is also a little square buffer pad in there, and then the slide comes out. Super simple.

rabbitstew
07-06-2008, 4:07 PM
Watch out for the the flying square buffer when your removing the recoil spring, I took me hours to find it. Its harder putting it back-together. Heres a link to the parts.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0630zBUCKMARK

fairfaxjim
07-06-2008, 4:17 PM
Here is a clearer parts breakdown for the buckmark.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/schematics/buckmark_sch.pdf

They are also a source for parts, but shop around. If Brownells or one of the other big gunsmith suppliers has it, it will probably be cheaper than these guys.

I can't believe it. I checked the online version of the current Browning owner's manual for the Buck Mark, and they don't have an exploded or parts view, and tell you NOT TO TAKE IT APART! Wow! Looks like the litigators win again.

weekend_plinker
07-06-2008, 4:18 PM
here is a current owners manual for the buckmark from there web site
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/08_243_bfa_buckmark_pistol.pdf

ojisan
07-06-2008, 4:19 PM
Easy but you need a allen wrench for the sightmount screws, and a long flat blade screwdriver for the barrel mount screw. Make sure to use good tools that fit right!
1. UNLOAD GUN...check chamber, remove magazine, remove scope.
2. Pull slide back to cock hammer, let slide go back forward, do not pull trigger. (Hammer must be cocked to dis & reassemble).
3. Remove the allen screws that hold the sight base on...one at the top rear of the frame, one at the top rear of the barrel. Counter clockwise to loosen screws.
4. Remove sight / scope base. Lift out the long coiled spring / rod thing in the long notch in the top of the slide, you may need to gently pry this up. Don't loose the rubber rectangle piece at the back end of the spring/ rod assy that goes against the frame. Lift off the slide.
5. I prefer to clean barrels from the breech, so I remove the barrel by loosening the horizontal screw that is under the barrel at the front of the frame. Some have an allen screw here, most are straight slot screwdriver head. Counter clockwise to loosen. Or leave the barrel on and yeeech, clean from the muzzle...
6. Clean and lube time.
7. Put barrel back on first, loosen and tighten the mount screw a couple times so you know it is fully bedded.
8. Put slide on, hold it forward, slightly compress the recoil spring on the rod by pushing the black plastic triangle piece backwards and put it back in the long notch, rear end first. Be sure the pointed breech end of the rod is in the upper left corner of the rubber rectangle buffer, and the round knob on the back of the buffer is in its hole in the breech frame. The black plastic thingy has to fit into the cross ways notch in the long notch in the slide top nearest the breech face.
9. Put the sight base back on and tighten the screws, again, in and out a couple times with the screws to make sure everything lines up and is bedded together right.
Takes about 20 minutes tops.

harpman1
07-07-2008, 8:07 PM
Wow.
Thanks.
I'll be back with more silly questions soon.
You guys are deeply appreciated.

CrippledPidgeon
07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I was gonna make a youtube video a while back because I had to figure out disassembly on my own too. Maybe I'll put something together tonight.

jazman
07-08-2008, 3:12 PM
Does the gun not work or something? If it's good, why would you want to take it apart? Just clean it by following the recommendations in the manuel you can get to by the posted link and you are good to go. Why take a chance on screwing it up and having to pay someone or the factory to make it right?

jchen76@gmail.com
07-08-2008, 3:43 PM
Since it's closely related the browning buckmark pistol, one thing to look out for is make sure the recoil spring doesn't fly away. Might I suggest taking close up pics once you remove the sight cover.

Until you are familiar with the inner working of your buckmark, don't remove the grip panels since there small parts such as magazine catch held in by tension.