PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with my Beretta?

random3576
07-06-2008, 2:29 PM
A little back story. This gun started out as a model 96D, and I then converted it to SA/DA. It still had no safety, so I eventually ended up putting a model 92fs top end on it to have a safety and save some money on ammo. The safety works but does not decock it so I can have it cocked and locked if I want. I also had to put in a 92 ejector after dealing with ejection issues. I have been using the original model 96 mags with it. My questions are -

It wont load the last round from the mag, the slide locks back with one round still in the mag, what causes this?

Why doesn't the safety decock the hammer when engaged?

There seems to be some uneven wear on the frame rails, possibly from the new slide, how bad is this and can it be fixed?

Thanks

ojisan
07-06-2008, 2:42 PM
Generic answer from a non Beretta owner who has swapped a lot of gun pieces around:
Get a 9mm 92 follower for the magazines, or look for follower or bullet noses hitting the slide stop early.
Sounds like a piece to push the sear / drop the hammer is missing from your SA DA linkage
Need pics what material etc. Got lube?

Guntech
07-06-2008, 6:17 PM
Thats a magazine problem get 92 follower and or mags

random3576
07-06-2008, 6:51 PM
Thanks for the replies, the gun is lubed and im not sure what you mean by what material?

I was thinking it could be the mags too even though the 96 mags fed fine until that last round, is the follower the only different thing between the .40 and 9mm or are the mag bodies different?

AK4me
07-06-2008, 7:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, the gun is lubed and im not sure what you mean by what material?

I was thinking it could be the mags too even though the 96 mags fed fine until that last round, is the follower the only different thing between the .40 and 9mm or are the mag bodies different?

The mag bodies are the same, be careful, If you have 10rd .40 cal mags they can be loaded with more then 10rds of 9mm and you could possibly get into trouble for using them in a 9mm.

Guntech
07-07-2008, 8:57 AM
The follower is what holds open the slide after the last round, and since .40s are larger the mag/follower could be set up differently than a 9mm

random3576
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Ill change out the followers and hopefully that'll fix it. Anybody got any idea about the wear on the frame rails? The slide doesn't feel loose or floppy on the frame, but there does seem to be the most wear on the front right and left rear of the frame rails and I'm worried its because its not the original top end and what kinda damage it could be doing. Again thanks for the advice guys

random3576
07-08-2008, 8:42 AM
shameless bump for myself

Guntech
07-08-2008, 9:42 AM
If it seems to be causing odd wear patterns than don't use the 9mm top end on it any more. But most people will tell you that they are interchangeable and you shouldn't worry about it.

ojisan
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Re: what material? Stainless slides on stainless frames are known to gall and chew each other to death. Special lubes and smoothing down rough spots is needed. Scuffing and wear-through of blueing or alloy anodizing is normal in SS / carbon steel / alloy mixed metal types guns. If you put a galled stainless slide on an alloy frame the damge can be bad quick. I have no favorites but I like light teflon greases for frame rails the best.

360PA
07-09-2008, 5:23 PM
I suggest another gun.