PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 Loaded Champion problems

hamsalad
07-06-2008, 1:42 PM
I have a less than one year old SA 1911. After about 500-600 rounds I have been having feed issues. When I rack a round from a magazine it will begin to slide the round in, but about halfway through the process the extractor will hang up the round and it will not feed. It will also do it in the middle of a mag and slow or rapid fire make no difference. Different mags have mode no difference and it also does it on reloads or factory ammo.

The gun has always been kept in perfect condition.

Any ideas before I send it in?

IH8CALAWS
07-06-2008, 2:02 PM
have you removed the extractor and cleaned it and the hole it sits in?

hamsalad
07-06-2008, 2:03 PM
have you removed the extractor and cleaned it and the hole it sits in?

Yep, squeaky clean.

IH8CALAWS
07-06-2008, 2:14 PM
I have no idea then.I had problems with my full size s/s springfield and had to go over some of the surfaces wih some 200 grit wet sand paper and now she runs like a top.If you are a decent home smith you can probably fix it you'r self. I would start by coloring all the metal surfaces that touch with a sharpie or magic marker and cycle the gun through a round at a time and look to see where the ink is rubbed off the worst( if you only rack the slide once the only place that will rub off will be here it is jamming up). When you find it sand a little at a time until it stops. unless it is the extractor and if it is then I would send it in or have a smith fix it. My 1911 started jamming up after about 200 rounds and after heating up the tolerances got tight in a few spots but now after some smoothing it out she is still so tight there is absolutely no side to side slide movement.

hamsalad
07-06-2008, 2:18 PM
Right on. Thanks for the response. I may polish the face a bit near where it is hanging up to see if that helps. If not then I will contact SA and see if they can help.

Thanks again.

USN CHIEF
07-06-2008, 8:30 PM
Not to hijack your thread but I just about lost all hope for my Spring Field Operator. I finally took her out shooting today after I got the rear sight fixed by SA. Well when I initially took her out shooting I noticed that with some reloads it was doing the same thing as your gun. I thought to myself that maybe it did not like reloads.
So today I went to the range and inserted full magazine of American Eagle .45 and after the first round I noticed that the slide did not go forward all the way, it still had about a quarter of an inch. I removed the magazine. I then tried locking the slide to the rear but I was not able to do it with my hand. I finally grabbed a plastic mallet and gently tapped the slide so that it could close fully. I then squeezed the round. I inserted another magazine with different ammo and it did the same thing after each round. I only shot 5 rounds and I stopped. WTF is going on? Should I send the whole gun back to SA?

ojisan
07-06-2008, 9:26 PM
Yup, I got tired of sending guns back to be fixed and have them come back worse than when they left. Lots of guns have these problems.
hamsalad also look at the firing pin hole...a small champher on it's upper edge to break the corner here also helps. Adjust the extractor tension, polish it and radius the lower edges.
Chief wow dangerous for sure. Any smiths that can help in out in SD?
Seems like so many of these new CNC made pistols are quite good but lack that oh so necessary final hand fitting. And not just 1911s, either. All brands. Send 'em back for warranty if you can, but I have learned to just fix 'em myself whenever possible.

hamsalad
07-06-2008, 9:31 PM
Oh man...Chief, sorry about your Operator. Hmm, what gives? All other aspects of this gun are great, but this feed issue is bugging me. I'm going to polish it up and radius the edges as instructed to see if that helps. I think it should. The firing pin hole is perfect with no problems. The rounds actually hang up just before the center of the round is aligned with the hole so the primer would be almost in line with the firing pin hole.

IH8CALAWS
07-06-2008, 9:37 PM
Not to hijack your thread but I just about lost all hope for my Spring Field Operator. I finally took her out shooting today after I got the rear sight fixed by SA. Well when I initially took her out shooting I noticed that with some reloads it was doing the same thing as your gun. I thought to myself that maybe it did not like reloads.
So today I went to the range and inserted full magazine of American Eagle .45 and after the first round I noticed that the slide did not go forward all the way, it still had about a quarter of an inch. I removed the magazine. I then tried locking the slide to the rear but I was not able to do it with my hand. I finally grabbed a plastic mallet and gently tapped the slide so that it could close fully. I then squeezed the round. I inserted another magazine with different ammo and it did the same thing after each round. I only shot 5 rounds and I stopped. WTF is going on? Should I send the whole gun back to SA?

Thats exactly what happened to mine,it locked about 1 inch out of battery. I took it back to my local shop where I purchased it and they told me to do what I posted earlier or wait a month or more for it to come back. Do the magic marker trick and find the high spots. Then sand them with some 200 grit wet with oil. She will run fine, after doing mine I have had not one jam or FTE just smooth shootin'.