PDA

View Full Version : wtf? wooden dowel in mossberg?

Gland
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I read this on wikipedia:
All Mossberg models including the 835, 535, 500, 505 and 590 are shipped with a wooden dowel located in the tube magazine. This is to comply with U.S. migratory bird laws. This dowel reduces and regulates the number of shells that can be loaded in the gun. This can be removed by taking off the barrel and pointing the shotgun downward and shaking it back and forth lightly until the dowel falls out.

what does that even mean? why? what happens if i don't remove the barrel (for the 590, model 50660)? can someone show me some photos of this process? thank you.

randy
07-05-2008, 10:57 PM
It's really a pretty common way to reduce the the rounds in the mag tube. I haven't been hunting in years but there is a limit on how many rounds your shotgun can hold when shooting game birds. Maybe not all birds but some. If your shotgun holds 5 and the round limit is 3 then you need a "plug" to reduce the rounds in the tube.

m24armorer
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Firewood for when your lost. :D

bohoki
07-05-2008, 11:06 PM
yea i seen em fall out they need to be skinny on the 500 they look like a chopstick with a couple rubber o rings on it
since it has to fit out the little threaded hole

in the 590 its easier to get out since its design allows full access to the magazine spring

Gland
07-05-2008, 11:16 PM
so do you actually have to remove the barrel for the 590?
also... if you do have to remove the barrel, how do you put it back? how do you know you're putting it back with the same degree of tension, or the way it was?

bohoki
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
also... if you do have to remove the barrel, how do you put it back? how do you know you're putting it back with the same degree of tension, or the way it was?

sorry forgot you are a newbie

here is the skinny on most pump shotguns the barrel is only attached to the gun via the magazine ring on the front

it slips into the receiver and the magazine cap is what holds everything together these are just hand tight and have a little springloaded detent that keeps it from unscrewing

it may sound insecure to the uninformed but it is a good system which allows quick barrel changes and barrel removal for compact storage

huskydog
07-06-2008, 5:56 PM
I thought some thing was wrong with my 500 tactical crusier because I couldn't get it fully loaded. I unscrewed the magazine cap and the dowel fell out, didn't need to remove the barrel. Of course I still didn't know why it was in there till I read the manual.

Shane916
07-06-2008, 6:00 PM
Lol. If I had a dollar every time a customer asked about a "rattling noise" in their Mossberg :D All you do is unscrew the cap tilt the gun down and you should be able to grab and pull out the dowel rod.

Nate Haler
07-06-2008, 6:31 PM

And above all, know and adhere to the rules of gun safety.

1) Every gun is loaded.

2) Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

3) Never touch the trigger until you're ready to fire.

4) Always be sure of your target and what's behind it.

Guns are simple machines. But you can't be a simpleton when handling them.

Gator Monroe
07-06-2008, 6:34 PM
Original Dowel rods sell on Gunbroker for a good price (Maverick 88 one fetched $7.50 + 3.75 sHIPPING !)

-hanko
07-06-2008, 7:38 PM
Go to Mossberg's website and download a copy of the owner's manual.

-hanko

Guntech
07-06-2008, 8:26 PM
its so easy to remove the dowel and the barrel

TZL
07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
there is even a section in the mossberg manual about removing the dowel rod.....reading the manual is usually a good idea !

zcktomcat
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
The wooden dowel is just a plug, you need it if you go bird hunting cause if your gun is capable of holding more than 3 rounds in it (two in the mag one in the chamber) you can get in trouble. On Remington 870's its a big green plastic rod.

Sydwaiz
07-08-2008, 2:40 PM
I remember my Dad would forget it sometimes when we went dove or duck hunting. What would he do? Find a branch of appropriate diameter and length, shave all the bark off and install it! This was on Remmys.