PDA

View Full Version : pump vs semi

Jamez
07-04-2008, 5:44 PM
Are the pumps usualy more accurate then semi's? Like how bolt rifles are?

Trying to figure out if I want the Rem 11-87 (semi) or the Rem 870 (pump) for the season.

CSACANNONEER
07-04-2008, 5:56 PM
I'd say it depends on which one fits you better. They will shoot about the same. The pump might have a slight advantage in that all of the force from the charge is going to project your shotcup forward. Where as, A small portion of energy is used to cycle the action of a semi auto.

spitter3
07-04-2008, 6:00 PM
Are the pumps usualy more accurate then semi's? Like how bolt rifles are?

Trying to figure out if I want the Rem 11-87 (semi) or the Rem 870 (pump) for the season.

No, it's a shotgun!!

REDHORSE
07-04-2008, 6:35 PM
Biggest advantages of an Remington 870 is, it'll shoot practically any type of shotgun ammo, very reliable with an experienced shooter. You can also install a pistol grip stock on it or even a folding stock.

Remington 11-87 advantages are, you'll be able to shoot faster and the felt recoil will be much less than a pump with the same ammo. Depending with what 11-87 model you get, it may be finicky with the lighter shotgun loads. You can still shoot about any shotgun ammo in the 11-87, but if it's too weak to cycle the action, you may have to manually cycle the bolt. No pistol grip stock or folding stock allowed on a semi-auto shotgun, unless it was registered as an AW.

If you go to my YouTube channel, I have video clips of me shooting my 870 (March '07 stage 1) and a 11-87 (June '08) at a match.

slowfire
07-04-2008, 6:48 PM
Depending with what 11-87 model you get, it may be finicky with the lighter shotgun loads. You can still shoot about any shotgun ammo in the 11-87, but if it's too weak to cycle the action, you may have to manually cycle the bolt.

This is the main reason for my choosing a pump

REDHORSE
07-04-2008, 6:58 PM
Like the arfcom saying goes...

"Get both!"

Each model has it purposes. I'm comfortable with using either. When you find ammo that the 11-87 like to eat, it's hard to beat. I let the noobs shoot the 11-87, as they can shoot several boxes of shotgun ammo without getting a sore shoulder.

If you get an 870, get a Limbsaver R3 recoil pad! It is one of the best mods you can do for an 870 to save your shoulder from being sore. The recoil pad works like magic. lol

Crusader
07-05-2008, 11:43 AM
The 11-87 may not cycle with low-recoil loads, so if you plan on shooting lighter rounds, it may be a better idea to get the 870.

ZOMBIEHUNTER
07-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a Benelli super 90 m-1 that even with low wall birdshot cycles perfect through autos are the way to go for defense

dw1784
07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Depending with what 11-87 model you get, it may be finicky with the lighter shotgun loads. You can still shoot about any shotgun ammo in the 11-87, but if it's too weak to cycle the action, you may have to manually cycle the bolt.

This is the main reason for my choosing a pump

plus 11-87's on the heavy side(lots of steel) and the gas system needs cleaning lot more often. 870 only needs to be cleaned if and only if you feel like it:)

Jamez
07-06-2008, 5:17 AM
Like the arfcom saying goes...

"Get both!"

I CAN'T DECIDE! I may just have to get both... so...which do i buy FIRST?

ar15barrels
07-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Get the pump first.
It will make you appreciate the auto more when you finally move up to it.
If you got the auto first, you would probably never find a need for the pump so you would never end up getting both. ;)

Blwnbwtie
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM

get em both at the same time and save yourself the extra dros fee

Sumo99
07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
No pistol grip stock or folding stock allowed on a semi-auto shotgun, unless it was registered as an AW.

Pistol grips are legal on semi's.

Jeff.
07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Get the 870 first. I used one for my first 3 seasons of hunting everything with a shotgun. I love my 870. Then I bought my 11-87 this year and look forward to a lot of good times with it. Get both - 870 first.

rastro
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Pistol grips are legal on semi's.

Yep!

SB23 (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php)
6.A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

A folding or telescoping stock.
A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

As long as you don't have a pistol grip AND a folding/telescoping stock you are good to go.

1919A4
07-09-2008, 1:15 PM
I used pumps for years. I took the plung and purchased this. Best move I ever made. Can shoot any kind of ammo through it and I can shoot it faster then the AR. Loves low recoil 00Buck.
Holds 9 rounds
H&K M1 tactical.
Its an oldy but goody. Made in 1991 I believe.

edited to add, I am sorry. I didnt realize you mentioned for the season. Mine would not be a good choice. I was thinking more in the lines of protection. A nince 1187 would be my choice. wide choice of options.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/the_lynch_family/benelli.jpg

randy
07-09-2008, 1:29 PM
If you are buying a pump gun for hunting the 870 is my choice. If you are buying a semi auto for hunting then the Benelli Super Black Eagle is what I would buy.

If you want a ghetto blaster the Benelli M2 is at the top of the heap for me. It's easy to make the case for the Benelli M4 it's just going to cost you more.

Good luck.

BroncoBob
07-09-2008, 2:39 PM
get em both at the same time and save yourself the extra dros fee

I agree, get both and save yourself some money.:iagree:

kroniclove
07-09-2008, 2:41 PM
Which of these two shotguns would be a better choice for clay shooting?

BlackDrop50
07-09-2008, 4:30 PM
Shoot a pump and a semi and see which one you like better.

I like semis for some reason....that's what I went with.

BroncoBob
07-09-2008, 7:36 PM
Which of these two shotguns would be a better choice for clay shooting?

I've used my Benelli Super Nova Pump and my Remington 1100 semi auto and I enjoy both of them for clays. Semi's sometimes need a bit more load to work the action. If you use low recoil or even some Wallymart cheap loads the action won't cycle. My Remington must have at a minimum 1.25 oz. loads. With a pump it doesn't matter. Heck you can shoot mini shells out of your pump which are a kick to use.

Pumps are cheaper then the semi's if $$$$ is an issue. You can get a nice Remington 870 for under $400. I have a Remington 870 tactical 18" pipe with extended 4 shot tube which I use strictly for home defense. Nothing like the sound of racking a shotgun to get the badguys knees shaking and their BH to pucker.

:patriot:

duenor
07-09-2008, 7:44 PM
There are things that I appreciate about pumps that I will never appreciate in a semi (and I own several of each). Pumps are so simplistic, so undeniably functional. You really have to own one, and break it in well, to appreciate this.

Further, a high quality pump can be easily had for under $100.
Can you say the same for semis? Both of my M1s were bargains at $600 each... MSRP on both would have been about $1300 (due to all Benelli/HK accessories, parts, etc).

Kev

ps: the urban "myth" about how you can get all 8 shells into the air before the first hits the ground is true. the RO at angeles did not like that one bit though....

SteveH
07-10-2008, 8:56 PM
My M1 Super 90 is only reliable with slugs and full power buckshot. No low recoil "tactical" buckshot.