PDA

View Full Version : My First 1911

tom_92673
07-04-2008, 9:33 AM
Well I picked up my first 1911 from a local FFL. Got the Kimber Ultra CDP II. NIB for 1075 +fees. I was planning on doing a CCW in OC, but that has all changed now with the new Sheriff, but I gotta say, I'm still really happy with it. I took it to the range on the way home and put 50 rounds through it. That is one smooth little gun. One FRTB, but I think it was me. My first 7 were all left, so I thought the sights might be off. So I got the RO who I've shot with before to try it, and all three of his shots were dead center, so I adjusted my grip a little and all I can say is, that thing in 3" is more accurate than I am. I've got a lot of work to do on my shooting, but 7 out of 7 rounds were hitting in the 10 ring at the first line, and all on paper at 25 yards which I couldn't do with any of my other hand guns. I'm shooting grids, so I'm pretty confident in this gun. Of course the first thing I thought after firing it was that I want a full size now as well. And after reading Leelaws build thread, I fear that I have a new sickness. This is going to be an expensive hobby.

Here's what it looks like, not mine, but exactly the same.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/ultra_cdp_II/

RAD-CDPII
07-04-2008, 9:53 AM
Great choice, I have 4 1911's and that's my favorite.

Black Majik
07-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats Tom!!

Welcome to the 1911 frat. :D

VegasND
07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Congratulations on a great pistol. I hope you like it as much as I do mine!

Saigon1965
07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
That's a nice pistola.

hkfooey
07-04-2008, 2:20 PM
Welcome to the 1911 "gang"... :)

Full Clip
07-04-2008, 2:39 PM
I only have one 1911, but I do love it so... congrats.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/DSCN1199.gif

ojisan
07-04-2008, 2:45 PM
You are lucky that this model already has most of the "goodies" on it. However, you will soon have to purchase a low cost plain jane version so you can have something to fix up and work on. You have 1911 Fever. It's a good thing! Be sure to check the Brownell's catalog 1911 section for an endless amount of options. But don't try to read all of it on the throne in one visit 'cause your legs will fall asleep and you won't be able to get up.

leelaw
07-04-2008, 2:52 PM
Nice. The only Ultra size Kimber that I've been able to play aroud with is the Ultra Raptor, and they sure felt like nice guns.

Kimbers are good 1911s, but you're right in your prediction that this will be an expensive addiction. ;)

redcliff
07-04-2008, 3:41 PM
I have an Ultra CDP II also and shot it for the first time last Sunday. It was very accurate but I had a couple occasions where the slide locked open like it was empty, but there were still rounds in the magazine.

I chalked it up to break-in issues, it only occured with my two stainless kimber magazines, not my blue kimber magazine. Interestingly it never happened when I was only loading 5 rounds in the magazine, but happened when I put 6 or more in.

I've orderred 3 Wilson Combat magazines for it and hopefully that will resolve the problem. I know Kimber magazines don't have a good reputation.

I'm hoping to get my CCW soon and won't carry a pistol that I don't trust, and I have a number of others I could choose from. However the Ultra CDP II has all the features I want in a carry gun.

Any one else ever have this problem with a 1911? I've got about 8 other 1911's and I've never encounterred a pre-mature slide lock before.

ojisan
07-04-2008, 4:34 PM
Premature slide lock back is usually due to the slide stop going up too early.
Slide stop goes up too early because:
improper fit of ss plunger or weak / binding ss / thumb safety spring
or (more likely):
As the ammo comes up in the mag, it is possible for the rising rounds to bump the slide stop up. The tip of the slide stop that touches the mag follower to lock the slide back when mag is empty is likely a little too long. Different ammo has different bullet front shapes, you may need to shorten the slide stop tip a little to make sure it clears the sides / ogive of the bullets in your favorite ammo.
Wilson mags just plain awesome. Well worth the $.

Greg-Dawg
07-04-2008, 4:37 PM
Congrats!

redcliff
07-04-2008, 5:03 PM
Premature slide lock back is usually due to the slide stop going up too early.
Slide stop goes up too early because:
improper fit of ss plunger or weak / binding ss / thumb safety spring
or (more likely):
As the ammo comes up in the mag, it is possible for the rising rounds to bump the slide stop up. The tip of the slide stop that touches the mag follower to lock the slide back when mag is empty is likely a little too long. Different ammo has different bullet front shapes, you may need to shorten the slide stop tip a little to make sure it clears the sides / ogive of the bullets in your favorite ammo.
Wilson mags just plain awesome. Well worth the $.

Thank you for the information, very helpful. I thought perhaps there was a detent issue, but that didn't make sense since it only occured with certain magazines and then only with fully loaded magazines.

I'll take a look at the slide stop and bring my own ammunition next time, as I was using range ammo at the time and I don't know it's origin. Looking forward to receiving the Wilson mags also.

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 5:27 PM
I took my $300 Rock Island out to Angeles yesterday after I upgraded it with about $150 worth of fire control and small parts, fitted a match grade bushing etc...
I hit the 12" plate at 90yds on the first shot.
It still has the original GI style sights too.

tom_92673
07-04-2008, 5:39 PM
I took my $300 Rock Island out to Angeles yesterday after I upgraded it with about $150 worth of fire control and small parts, fitted a match grade bushing etc...
I hit the 12" plate at 90yds on the first shot.
It still has the original GI style sights too.

Well why don't we all line up and kiss your behind? :)

I think the platform is more accurate than anything else I've fired, regardless of the manufacturer. That being said, I still have a lot of work to do on my accuracy.

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 5:47 PM
I think the platform is more accurate than anything else I've fired, regardless of the manufacturer. That being said, I still have a lot of work to do on my accuracy.

I failed to mention that I hit that plate with 6 out of 8 rounds in one mag too.
This is all from standing freestyle, not from any sort of rest.
There's still lots of room for improvement on this gun.
I'm pleased with the first trip to the range with it since the upgrades.

CSACANNONEER
07-04-2008, 5:47 PM
I have a pair of Custom Pro CDP IIs and love them. One has well over 20K through it and was just gone through by Kimber and is back in as new condition. I'd suggest that you order a couple recoil spring assemblies now. That way, when you wear out the first one while your breaking the gun in, youll be able to replace it and still have a back-up on hand.