PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Sp101 327 mag

STAGE 2
07-04-2008, 1:19 AM
Anyone know if ruger has any plans to submit this for testing.

Moonclip
07-04-2008, 1:26 AM
I have a feeling they will but I think the cartridge will go the way of the 10mm and .41mag at the best but more likely it will go the way of the .45GAP or the 9mm Federal.

STAGE 2
07-04-2008, 2:23 AM
Thats doesn't bother me very much. I actually like quirky calibers. Besides, the .327 is one of several you can shoot out of this pistol.

STAGE 2
07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Any other info?

07-04-2008, 1:08 PM
Ruger is very good about submitting their guns for testing so I imagine this one will get here eventually. I'm also excited about it and have one in the works through custom channels. Ammo availability is pretty spotty right now but hopefully it's just initial production shortages. Time will tell.

ivanimal
07-04-2008, 1:20 PM
I think the 327 was invented for the concealed carry crowd. Smaller round smaller pressures mean smaller profile guns. I think Ruger makes their stuff so strong it creates an oxymoron in this regard. It would be nice to see a varmint rifle handgun combo in this round it seems perfect for it.

dfletcher
07-04-2008, 7:23 PM
I think the 327 was invented for the concealed carry crowd. Smaller round smaller pressures mean smaller profile guns. I think Ruger makes their stuff so strong it creates an oxymoron in this regard. It would be nice to see a varmint rifle handgun combo in this round it seems perfect for it.

I think I'll go a different way on this one - provided the SP101 in 327 is the same size as their 38 Special/357 Magnum, which I believe it is. I think the round & gun combo is intended for the girls who may want to do concealed carry or home defense. Compact package but less recoil. And if the gun in 327 is the same size as 38/357, I'd guess the thing will weigh a bit more also which will lessen recoil.

I think selling a 357 Magnum to a woman by telling her "you can shoot 38s" comes across as giving her 2nd best. Offering a 327 Magnum is I think a stronger selling point, even if hot 38s are better than the 327.

I like oddball cartridges, I'd like to see this in a Marlin 1894 and a T/C Super 14 barrel also.

07-04-2008, 8:37 PM
This cartridge screams for a Marlin levergun and a Single-Six. The .32H&R is already an awesome round and the .327 promises more of a good thing. I know they're marketing it as a self defense round and the numbers are very good in that respect but I think it'll be a great woods cartridge. I'll see what I think of it after my .327 comes in and I've had a chance to play with it.

STAGE 2
07-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I think I'll go a different way on this one - provided the SP101 in 327 is the same size as their 38 Special/357 Magnum, which I believe it is. I think the round & gun combo is intended for the girls who may want to do concealed carry or home defense.

Youd be right except for the fact that I'm not a girl. :D

I like it because its a quirky caliber, flat shooting, better terminal ballistics than a .38 +P and has far less muzzle blast than a .357. As far as revolvers go its really an all around gun. Its great for SD/carry, but also great for plinking as you have the option of shooting several different calibers in it.

I'm really giving serious consideration to it as my new nightstand gun for all the reasons above as well as the fact that the wife isn't a gunny and approaches firearms with a major reluctance. This way she has something nice and controlable with 6 shots with a simple manual of arms.

Its far easier to have someone simply pull the trigger again rather than tap rack bang.

dfletcher
07-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Youd be right except for the fact that I'm not a girl. :D

I like it because its a quirky caliber, flat shooting, better terminal ballistics than a .38 +P and has far less muzzle blast than a .357. As far as revolvers go its really an all around gun. Its great for SD/carry, but also great for plinking as you have the option of shooting several different calibers in it.

I'm really giving serious consideration to it as my new nightstand gun for all the reasons above as well as the fact that the wife isn't a gunny and approaches firearms with a major reluctance. This way she has something nice and controlable with 6 shots with a simple manual of arms.

Its far easier to have someone simply pull the trigger again rather than tap rack bang.

I knew I should have put a qualifier in front of the "for the girls" comment. I was actually holding out for an SP in 327 (and I also forgot about the 6th round) but found a VG deal on a used one in 357.

Knauga
07-05-2008, 1:47 AM
I think selling a 357 Magnum to a woman by telling her "you can shoot 38s" comes across as giving her 2nd best.

Very un-American shooting 38's out of a perfectly good 357. :D If you're worried about the cost of ammo, start reloading. The difference in price between 38 and 357 is almost non-existent.

If you are trying to sneak the little lady into shooting it, you can start her out with 38's, but then start sneaking in the occasional 357 until you work her up to shooting the gun "properly" ;)

While I like the idea of oddball or wildcat cartridges, I'm not sure I want to invest in something that is going to start costing me an arm and a leg to shoot when it falls by the wayside. I think this 327 will fade away in the next few years.

dfletcher
07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Very un-American shooting 38's out of a perfectly good 357. :D If you're worried about the cost of ammo, start reloading. The difference in price between 38 and 357 is almost non-existent.

If you are trying to sneak the little lady into shooting it, you can start her out with 38's, but then start sneaking in the occasional 357 until you work her up to shooting the gun "properly" ;)

While I like the idea of oddball or wildcat cartridges, I'm not sure I want to invest in something that is going to start costing me an arm and a leg to shoot when it falls by the wayside. I think this 327 will fade away in the next few years.

Actually there's an interesting combination. If the husband shoots and reloads (now there's a phrase that will bring out the Jan Murrays) he can gradually move from having her shoot mild 38s to hot 38s, then light 357 reloads to factory.

As an aside, in about 40 years of shooting I don't think I've known a woman reloader.

Squawfish
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM

I'm considering it seriously for the same reason Stage 2. I also do a bit of hiking with my dogs and the SP101 in 327 can shoot snake rounds as well (so I've heard).

One of the guys at Sportsman's Warehouse in Roseville said it was now on the safe list, but I couldn't find it.

ivanimal
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I think its safe to say we all love a screwball cartridge that is unproven so we can have it for our own. I would like to share the 5MM rem mag joys with everyone. Or should I start with the Ackley improved Whelen?

BillCA
07-09-2008, 12:23 AM

Not to pick on you, but the .327 Federal Magnum is no where near a "smaller pressure" round. It is a very high pressure round, running in the 40-45,000 psi category. That's 10k over the .357 Magnum.

As far as muzzle energy goes, some of the loads fall right between the 9mm and the .357 Mag 125g JHP. You can almost think of it as a pumped up .32-20 pistol load.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/misc/327FedMagEnergy.jpg
Comparison Chart for .327 Federal Magnum

The SP-101 chambered for .327 should be the same basic gun as the .38/.357 version, dimensionally.

Unfortunately, I don't think S&W will be able to do a 6-shot J-Frame with the .327's pressures. We'll have to wait and see.

If a J-Frame isn't available, a 3-inch 7-shot K-frame would do nicely, along with a 5-inch "target" model for outdoors work. Yet another variant of the Model 16! :D

The .327 may well prove to be an adequate fight stopper too. Lots of boy-howdy! at the muzzle and Gold Dot bullets too. Plus the low recoil and reduced blast over the .357 Mag. For women, the .327 Magnum will probably be a favorite "blaster" ... those wanting a milder load can use the .32 H&R Magnum loads.

461 - you're right. This cartridge does plead for a single-action and a levergun too. It'd be a light shooter in a lever gun but likely to hit like the old .32-20 Hi-speed too. :D

Knauga
07-09-2008, 9:06 AM
As an aside, in about 40 years of shooting I don't think I've known a woman reloader.

Yeah, girls aren't into that technical stuff. I was referring to the husband reloading for the wife ;) When you reload, 38 and 357 are just about the same money wise and the 357 is much more fun to shoot.

07-09-2008, 2:13 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the .32 H&R to be really honest, I look at this newby as just another performance bump that I can play with. Truth be told, I've been shooting "overpressure" H&R loads all along so I don't expect the results to be that dramatic. I see this round as a straight walled 32-20 and that's enough of an incentive for me to go for it. Do I need the power, no, but then again who really needs all the guns they have? :eek:

I just got in my first batch of .327 after waiting for months for it to be in stock at Midway and I should have my .327 platform (custom SP-101) next month so we'll see how it stacks up for me then. The .327 SP-101 is definitely not yet on the approved list for California