PDA

View Full Version : Which pistol for my Sister?

sammy
07-03-2008, 9:06 PM
My single sister is moving to Oceanside in a month. She is moving to a crappy neighborhood which has me worried, so I offered her one of my handguns to bring with her. She is a decent shot, we have been out on 10 or so occasions for an informal shoot in the woods. She is equally comfortable with my Glock 34 9mm and H&K P2000 9mm. She has shot both pistols but has no preference to either one. I am tempted to give her the Glock because of it's simplicity and sight radius but I have had some FTE issues with it in the past (one out of 200 or so). I have never ran self defense ammo in the Glock and don't have time to because we need to complete the transfer tomorrow. It was going to be my IDPA gun but I found my 1911 better suited for the task. The P2000 has run 200 rounds of 124g Gold Dot ammo just fine which is the ammo I was going to set her up with. The P2000 on the other hand is the only pistol I own that has been 100% (2000 rounds). I am taking her down to Contra Costa Collectables in the morning get the HSC card and the transfer on whatever pistol we decide on. Which would you choose and why?

What Just Happened?
07-03-2008, 9:13 PM
For her, I'd go with whichever she likes better and is more comfortable shooting. But yeah, the Glock has nice simple controls.

sammy
07-03-2008, 9:18 PM
For her, I'd go with whichever she likes better and is more comfortable shooting. But yeah, the Glock has nice simple controls.

She has no preference. She spent time dry firing and going over both pistols and she says "whatever is cheapest".

domokun
07-03-2008, 9:24 PM
She has no preference. She spent time dry firing and going over both pistols and she says "whatever is cheapest".

9mm it is then if her preference is whatever is "cheapest".

sammy
07-03-2008, 9:31 PM
9mm it is then if her preference is whatever is "cheapest".

They are both 9mm. When she said "whatever is cheapest" she was refering to the gun.

What Just Happened?
07-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Well, I believe that the Glock is cheaper, although not of lesser quality. She should be careful, cost should be a lesser factor when considering one's safety.

I would take the Glock 34, but that's only because I would want to turn it into a competition gun.

pl408
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
in a world of compromise some dont!!!!!!!

dude! you know the hk is 100% reliable

zman
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Give her the Glock and a box of high quality ammo.

USN CHIEF
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I would strongly suggest the H&K over the glock for her. She will love it and it is a lot user friendly than the Glock.

slowfire
07-03-2008, 10:54 PM
She should be 100% safe, 100% of the time. If you know that the HK will always be reliable then that is what you should hand her. Would you risk the chance on that one time that she may need it most?

JTROKS
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
It will be nice if you have a revolver for her, but since you have to do the transfer in a hurry I say the HK will be an excellent choice.

ivanimal
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Both nice and reliable guns the HK would be my choice but there is nothing wrong with the Glock.

jjefrey
07-04-2008, 8:49 AM
She should be 100% safe, 100% of the time. If you know that the HK will always be reliable then that is what you should hand her. Would you risk the chance on that one time that she may need it most?

Pretty much sums it up. Why take the chance.

Sobriquet
07-04-2008, 8:55 AM
in a world of compromise some dont!!!!!!!

dude! you know the hk is 100% reliable

Huge +1. For a home defense/self-defense gun, accept no substitutes.

Plus, as a woman with potentially smaller hands, the fact that the P2000 has customizable backstraps might help her a lot. p2000 FTW.

Vin496
07-04-2008, 9:12 AM
HK P2000 9mm or maybe even the p2000SK, If your worried about it be too complicated go with the LEM trigger. I have one in .40 and love that gun, accurate, reliable and fits me like a glove, and with the replaceable back straps, should be able to find a good fit for her.

Utha Schleigle
07-04-2008, 9:13 AM
Wheel gun. 357mag that can shoot 38specail or 38psecial +P.

Generally HK over glock.

Not the question - Ruger 357mag or 38spc.

Digital_Hate
07-04-2008, 9:19 AM
i vote S&W 500

jerryg1776
07-04-2008, 9:23 AM
Tell her not to move to a crappy neighborhood in O'slime... failing that, I would get the glock set up right for her (have a glock armorer look it over/fix it). I am an HK fan but I will say glocks are good for self defense. All that aside, small (hammer covered preferably) S&W revolver with 38+ps would be my first choice if possible.

HCz
07-04-2008, 9:35 AM
+1
I'd NEVER give my sister an unreliable weapon to defend herself.

duenor
07-04-2008, 9:44 AM
aren't both guns pretty reliable?
glocks are quality guns if tupperwarish. whatever she likes best will be good enough. i gave my own sister a 12g shotgun and she is all of 105lbs =)

Greg-Dawg
07-04-2008, 9:47 AM
She must be a big girl to handle a long slide G34...get her a G19.

Saigon1965
07-04-2008, 9:50 AM
i vote S&W 500

Ok.

CALI-gula
07-04-2008, 10:13 AM
My single sister is moving to Oceanside in a month.

Can't really add to what others have said, as it's hard to say; but since you care enough about her to protect her, why give her a gun you think has FTE issues at all? My inclination would be to give her a Glock for the simplicity as well, but in knowing it has issues? Not a chance - give her the HK. It's not a hard decision at all. Keep the Glock and work it out as you intended to do anyway; slicking it up and hot-rodding it will likely correct that FTE issues. You can experiment with it - she won't, and no need for her experimentation to occur as some jack-hole is following her from her car to her front door at 2:00AM.

And on Oceanside... really? This is the second or third time I've heard of Oceanside mentioned in such a light. When I came to California 16 years ago, it seemed that Oceanside was the next up-and-coming Malibu or Palos Verdes. I was even down there several times in 1993 and I thought it was a beautiful area - even thought about buying a home down there. What happened? :confused:

JTROKS
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I still vote for the DA wheelgun as long as she doesn't have any curious kids. A wheelgun has no mags to worry about. All it needs is familiarization, shoot it at the range to get proficent, load the cylinder full and also a couple of speedloaders and you'll never have the worry of thinking, "Will my mags work?" Well, you already narrowed the choice down to two pistols and my vote still goes to the HK. I'm not a Glock hater, just judging with the facts you gave.

NoobShooter
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Like Cali-gula... I thought Oceanside was a nice place to live. How bad is it really?

I would set her up with better security. Better window locks, security bar across sliding door, and alarm if you can.

Since she probably can't get a CCW... get her a small keychain mace/kubotan. Teach her how to use the kubotan.

Then give her the HK. The other should not be considered if there is FTE issues.

Good luck to her! Hope all is good.

rkt88edmo
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd vote for the glock if you hadn't been having FTE problems.

sammy
07-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Well thanks all. I am giving her the H&K. I am also going to sign her up for a self defense class in her area. I don't like the idea of her moving to the bad neighborhood she is moving to but it is her choice and it all comes down to money (or the lack their of) $850 a month.

LAK Supply
07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Although I would generally recommend Glock (that's what I got my sister) for simplicity and reliability, in your case I would give her the HK.

That said, there is something wrong with your G34. I've had Glocks for years, and they have been more reliable than my HK's, although the HK's have been pretty damn reliable as well. My current USP9 had a few issues relating to springs being worn... light strikes from a weak mainspring and a striker safety spring that had spread itself out enough to hang up on the channel it rides in. That's the only reason both brands haven't been 99.999% reliable for me.

You really need to go through your G34 and see what's broken or worn... with factory parts it should never have FTE issues.

My single sister is moving to Oceanside in a month. She is moving to a crappy neighborhood which has me worried, so I offered her one of my handguns to bring with her. She is a decent shot, we have been out on 10 or so occasions for an informal shoot in the woods. She is equally comfortable with my Glock 34 9mm and H&K P2000 9mm. She has shot both pistols but has no preference to either one. I am tempted to give her the Glock because of it's simplicity and sight radius but I have had some FTE issues with it in the past (one out of 200 or so). I have never ran self defense ammo in the Glock and don't have time to because we need to complete the transfer tomorrow. It was going to be my IDPA gun but I found my 1911 better suited for the task. The P2000 has run 200 rounds of 124g Gold Dot ammo just fine which is the ammo I was going to set her up with. The P2000 on the other hand is the only pistol I own that has been 100% (2000 rounds). I am taking her down to Contra Costa Collectables in the morning get the HSC card and the transfer on whatever pistol we decide on. Which would you choose and why?

Sobriquet
07-04-2008, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't use a Glock 19 for anything other than a paperweight.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

NickN27
07-04-2008, 12:20 PM
:useless:

LOL, sorry the first thing that came to mind was, when am I gonna see the this thread is worthless without pics post!

IMO you cant go wrong with either gun, just give her what she is most comfortable with, price shouldn't matter. But I agree the best thing to do is put her a in a situation where she doesnt have to use the gun, so more security, mace, etc.

JTROKS
07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Glock 19s aren't perfect? Oh! No! I just traded for another Glock to join my battery of guns. I will have to put it through the test to ensure reliability.

jerryg1776
07-04-2008, 1:42 PM
:useless:

LOL, sorry the first thing that came to mind was, when am I gonna see the this thread is worthless without pics post!

IMO you cant go wrong with either gun, just give her what she is most comfortable with, price shouldn't matter. But I agree the best thing to do is put her a in a situation where she doesnt have to use the gun, so more security, mace, etc.

Pictures of the guns or the girl.......

Vin496
07-04-2008, 1:56 PM
Pictures of the guns or the girl.......

Yeah were going to need sister picks for verification reasons.:D

sammy
07-04-2008, 3:04 PM
Maybe tomorrow. It looks like we are going to head out to Concord Diablo range to go over the gun and run a hundred more Gold Dots through it.

djp7558
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I think..If you truly love your Sis...You should give her the 1911. :eek:

Dan

sammy
07-05-2008, 7:19 AM
I think..If you truly love your Sis...You should give her the 1911. :eek:

Dan

Never happen. Got to draw the line somewhere. She thinks they are purty though. :)

doc66
07-05-2008, 9:55 AM
You already have your answer. The HK is 100%! Im not too big of an HK fan but 100% versus anything with "Fail to- ANYTHING" is the route to go. FTE will mean more time needed to fix the failure. I wouldn't leave it to chance. Just my opinion. Either way, I know you will make a good choice.

CSACANNONEER
07-05-2008, 10:17 AM

WHAT? Typically , bigger handguns are far easier to shoot than smaller handguns of the same caliber and design.

BTT, I would not suggest a handgun for personal protection unless, potability and concealbility was needed. If it's just a house gun, a reliable shotgun would be a better choice. Otherwise, it's really about which gun fits her the best and which one she is most proficient with. But, I'd opt for a wheel gun as the best choice in handguns.

glockman19
07-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I could see a Glock 17 or 19 but a 34 is a little large. Of your choices I'd pick the Hk.