PDA

View Full Version : My First handgun

gsxtt
07-02-2008, 9:21 PM
I bought a new Walther P99 a couple days ago, as a late 21st birthday present to myself (july 8th pickup date can't come fast enough) and I had a couple of questions so I can get started the right way with it.

What is good practice ammo for it? I've seen brown bear, seller and bellot, federal american eagle, and remington umc all priced around the same, and wondering what would be the best to buy in bulk.

What is a good 'tac' light for it?

Thanks for the input...

Bacardi151
07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Gratz. Buy all three and see what shoots best. Dunno on the light.

happy_gunner
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Congrats on the Walther, did you get a 9 or 40? My suggestion seeing how this is your first handgun, if you are still new to shooting, I would save the money on the tac light and buy a grip master to build a better grip.

Sobriquet
07-03-2008, 1:14 AM
Your profile doesn't say where you are. If you're outside of Los Angeles County, go to Wal-Mart and buy Winchester White Box. It's non-corrosive, cheap, relatively clean, and accurate. You won't find a better price on factory ammo.

gsxtt
07-03-2008, 7:05 AM
Congrats on the Walther, did you get a 9 or 40? My suggestion seeing how this is your first handgun, if you are still new to shooting, I would save the money on the tac light and buy a grip master to build a better grip.
Its a 9mm. I wanted to get something that was cheap to shoot. I've been shooting for years with my dad so Im pretty comfortable with my ability. The main purpose for the tac light is that the primary function of this gun will be home protection, and its for just in case purposes. But most I find are for glocks and Sigs

Your profile doesn't say where you are. If you're outside of Los Angeles County, go to Wal-Mart and buy Winchester White Box. It's non-corrosive, cheap, relatively clean, and accurate. You won't find a better price on factory ammo.
I live in the Inland Empire. I wasn't sure if Wal-Mart sold ammo here, I'll have to go check them out today, thanks

happy_gunner
07-03-2008, 7:20 AM
in that case, if you can get it to fit, Streamlight TLR1 or 2

gir007
07-03-2008, 7:56 AM
Congrats on your new walther. I bought one of their last double actions here in olive drab frame in .40 sw. The only thing I can warn you about is the maazine plate. Ours broke off while shooting and all rounds fell in the dirt. but only 1 but still weird. I have shot pmc, winchester, and american eagle. all fired fine. actually I have yet to have any malfunctions with this gun, so very nice choice. give us a range report with pics!

Slayer
07-03-2008, 8:07 AM
I bought a new Walther P99 a couple days ago, as a late 21st birthday present to myself (july 8th pickup date can't come fast enough) and I had a couple of questions so I can get started the right way with it.

What is good practice ammo for it? I've seen brown bear, seller and bellot, federal american eagle, and remington umc all priced around the same, and wondering what would be the best to buy in bulk.

What is a good 'tac' light for it?

Thanks for the input...

Winchester 100 round "value packs" from wal mart are your best bet. Accurate, clean and cheap. If the rail is 1913 (picatinny/weaver), get a Streamlight TLR-1. Great light, have one on my primary HD gun. Stays on firm even while shooting.

Frostbite
07-03-2008, 5:57 PM
I've shot American Eagle and Winchester White Box through my P99AS and both fired flawlessly. True story about going to Wal-Mart for WWB. I just picked up a box of 100 for under $19.

Greg-Dawg
07-03-2008, 6:50 PM
It sounds like your VERY new to the world of handguns. I'd highly recommend taking an NRA class to be more familiar with stuff.