PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS or Glock 17?

NVR SRNDR
07-02-2008, 6:46 PM
I need help choosing a 9. I love the simplicity of the Glock but I also love how the 92FS looks. I've been looking around at Glock 17 prices and I know how much they go for but how much does a 92FS go for in the Bay? To me there's nothing more simple and easy to work with (as far as semi autos go) than a G17, especially during an unfortunate incident of a home invasion. On the other hand I have 2 kids so the multiple safeties on the Beretta are appealing as well. I'm not knocking the Glock but it seems like everyone and their Mamma has one. Especially in my age group (I'm 26). Then again everyone has one for a reason.. they're great guns. Obviously I'm torn between the two so I'm looking for help to sway me one way or the other. What do you guys consider the pros and cons of each?

LAK Supply
07-02-2008, 6:59 PM
Both are nice, but I'm partial to the Glock. Many people say the Beretta is the "easiest" gun to shoot.... feels natural for a lot of folks. I really prefer the Glock myself; not a huge Beretta fan. I do own H&K, SIG, KelTec, Smith and Ruger handguns besides the Glocks, so I'm not a G-kool aid drinker either.

Black Majik
07-02-2008, 7:04 PM
Everyone and their mom has a G17 cuz they're that good. Beretta's 92FS is also a great gun, but for some reason not all that popular. The 92FS will have one of the smoothest actions around, racking the 92FS is like sliding two butter coated glass panes together. Absolute slickness. On the other hand, I got rid of my 92FS for a few reasons.

Their backwards safety system. I'm used to 1911s, so Up should be safe, down should be fire. Beretta's gone done it the opposite, down to safe, up to fire. Plus the fact that it's frame mounted poses an obstruction to chamber checking. Careful not to decock that gun while chamber checking. Not to also forget the very, very long double action trigger. A D-spring will help some lighten the weight, but that first DA stroke is not pleasant.

Otherwise it's accurate, great looking and very fun to shoot. The Glock will be plain jane, simple, reliable, durable and ugly. But, the trigger can be lightened, it has a very short slack, and reset. The grip angle is bothersome to some, but it's an exaggerated complaint. The trigger is mushy and stacks out of the box, but for litterally under $20, you can significantly lighten the pull with a 3.5# connector, competition springs for the trigger, striker and plunger, and polish the surfaces yourself.

Detail stripping the Glock is a breeze compared to the 92FS. If you do detail strip the 92FS, mind the sear spring. It's a truly PITA to get back in.

I vote for the G17, but.. you really cant go wrong.

Good luck!

11Z50
07-02-2008, 7:08 PM
I've owned and shot both, my vote is for Beretta.

glockman19
07-02-2008, 7:10 PM
I have a Glock 19 & 26. Instead of a 17 I got a Beretta 92FS INOX. It's a beautiful gun...but...I only have it because it looks good. I prefer the Glock 17 and plan on getting one.

Get the Glock 17.

Bukowski
07-02-2008, 7:12 PM
Both are nice so shoot both and grab the one that feels best to you.

As far as safety goes a quick opening pistol safe next to the bed is a good bet.

When I was using my G19 as a "bedside" gun in my night stand with kids in the house, I just kept the slide off the frame. With practice you can put it back together in the dark faster than you may think.

goathead
07-02-2008, 7:16 PM

i own a glock 19 and a beretta 92 vertec go for the 92 fs or M9 i have use a beretta in a GUN FIGHT no BS ill take the beretta ANY DAY:eek:

What Just Happened?
07-02-2008, 7:21 PM
Do you like plastic or steel?

Do you prefer one grip style over the other?

SJgunguy24
07-02-2008, 7:35 PM
Under stress will you flip the switch(off safe). How many mags do you want Beretta mags 40-50$ Glock mags 20-25$ will the mag work in your back up. Px compact ????? Glock 26 yup slam it home. Dont like the sights on your Beretta,gunsmith here we come. Glock, off to the cop-shop (where I live) 5 min swap. If something were to break Beretta,once again gunsmith. Glock 5/32" punch and 5 mins to switch out part and then your rockin' and rollin'. I own both and like one of the other post said Beretta is smooth but K.I.S.S. no B.S. no flip flap all buisness.

virulosity
07-02-2008, 7:38 PM
If you do a search you will find that there is a thread with this very same topic. I remember it going to over 10 pages in length! Very disputed.

toneman
07-02-2008, 7:41 PM
I think it is important that which gun fit you better,
everybody have their own best gun,
but don't you worry you'll buy both gun, it just the matter of time,
but hardest decision is which gun you will dros first :D

Stanze
07-02-2008, 7:45 PM
I've shot both, only broke one. It was the Beretta, cracked locking lug. FAIL! Beretta USA rep. acted like I was on crack when I tried to explain my issue. Turns out this is a known/common issue.:rolleyes:

GLOCK 17 FTW!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZy0Dz1tk8E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZy0Dz1tk8E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NVR SRNDR
07-02-2008, 7:47 PM
All very good points. I've never held a Beretta but the G17 feels nice in my hands. I like that Glocks are simple to detail strip but I enjoy the challenge of taking things apart and trying to figure out why the hell it was so easy to take apart and so damn hard to put back together lol. I do plan on getting a pistol safe for my nightstand so I guess the external safety point is moot.

What do you guys mean when you say the Beretta is smooth? Smooth to rack the slide or just plain smooth to shoot? I actually like long trigger pulls. For some reason I feel like I'm more in control that way. I know they're just 9's so kick back isn't a big issue but out of curiosity which one has less recoil? I'm assuming the Beretta because it's heavier. I think in a stressful panic situation the last thing I'd be worried about is recoil but I'd like to get my follow up shots as accurate and quick as possible especially seeing that a 9 is all I'd be working w/. I have a couple of rifles in 7.62x 39 but I wouldn't use that in the house.

Quiet
07-02-2008, 7:48 PM
I perfer the Glock Model 17 over the Beretta Model 92FS.

For me the Glock could take more abuse and is more reliable than the Beretta.

Black Majik
07-02-2008, 7:55 PM
What do you guys mean when you say the Beretta is smooth? Smooth to rack the slide or just plain smooth to shoot? I actually like long trigger pulls. For some reason I feel like I'm more in control that way. I know they're just 9's so kick back isn't a big issue but out of curiosity which one has less recoil? I'm assuming the Beretta because it's heavier. I think in a stressful panic situation the last thing I'd be worried about is recoil but I'd like to get my follow up shots as accurate and quick as possible especially seeing that a 9 is all I'd be working w/. I have a couple of rifles in 7.62x 39 but I wouldn't use that in the house.

Recoil is subjective between the two, although the 92FS is all metal, the frame is alloy so it's similar in weight to a Glock. The Glock has a lower bore axis to the Beretta, so it'll help a little bit in muzzle rise.

You also mentioned quick follow up shots. The short reset is very favorable to shooting controlled pairs. It'll require more consistant practice to shoot pairs on guns with long resets such as the USP, 92FS, SIG P-series or all other DA/SA guns. Starting out, if you shoot a pair with the 92FS, you might experience trigger freeze, or not releasing the trigger far enough to the reset point. It'll take more patience and training to prep the trigger through each shot instead of slapping the length of the slack to break each shot.

Just something else to consider.

45R
07-02-2008, 8:16 PM
I love both guns however I would opt for the Glock 17. It works on the KISS principal, magazines are cheap and the pistol is rock solid reliable and accurate.

dichter
07-02-2008, 8:17 PM
Multiple safety doesn't mean a thing if your kids can get to the gun easily... You probably need to work on how you are going to secure (either one) in your home.

You'll do fine with either one.... I am partial to Glock though.

Guntech
07-02-2008, 8:19 PM
What are you going to be using it for? IMHO (and I have two 92FS and G17 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen) if your going to use it when your hiking or camping and are going to abuse it get the G17. It wont scratch as easily plus its lighter and built like a tank. The 92FS is a gun that works and looks great plus the trigger is pretty good. The 92FS does get dinged easily though I dropped an empty mag on one of mine and its got a ding on the frame now. As far as trigger freeze on the 92FS I have never experienced it and i shoot pairs, and do 15 round dumps pretty often( may be a problem if you have smaller hands as the 92FS frame is rather large. I believe both guns are about par as far as eating anything you feed them.

NVR SRNDR
07-02-2008, 8:29 PM
Multiple safety doesn't mean a thing if your kids can get to the gun easily... You probably need to work on that....

You'll do fine with either one.... I am partial to Glock though.

You're absoultly right. My kids wont be able to get to it easily. Thats the first concern any sane parent considers when planning a firearm purchase. I plan on picking up a pistol safe when I finally decide which gun to buy.

What are you going to be using it for? IMHO (and I have two 92FS and G17 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen) if your going to use it when your hiking or camping and are going to abuse it get the G17. It wont scratch as easily plus its lighter and built like a tank. The 92FS is a gun that works and looks great plus the trigger is pretty good. The 92FS does get dinged easily though I dropped an empty mag on one of mine and its got a ding on the lower receiver now. I believe both guns are about par as far as eating anything you feed them.

My main uses will be for taking to the range and home defense.

It looks like I won't regret either choice. Like someone mentioned earlier I probably will end up with both. So I guess what will really sway my decision is price and availability. So much much do the Berettas go for? Anyone seen any at your local shop in the Bay? I know a few places to go to if I decide on the Glock. I was really close to buying one this month but wanted to make sure that is what I 100% wanted to get.

Suvorov
07-02-2008, 8:56 PM

I'll second this. The M-9/92FS is a solid piece of kit that will give you years of reliable service. The Glock is a great gun as well, and certainly has a cult like following, but my Beretta has never let me down.

slowfire
07-02-2008, 9:19 PM
On the other hand I have 2 kids so the multiple safeties on the Beretta are appealing as well.

I think that the safety of your children are your primary priorities. Get a good child-proof safe and then the glock. The money that you save can be spent on ammo.

aca72
07-02-2008, 9:24 PM
Both are champs. Choose the one that you shoot best.

Oldnoob
07-02-2008, 9:38 PM
I need help choosing a 9. I love the simplicity of the Glock but I also love how the 92FS looks. I've been looking around at Glock 17 prices and I know how much they go for but how much does a 92FS go for in the Bay? To me there's nothing more simple and easy to work with (as far as semi autos go) than a G17, especially during an unfortunate incident of a home invasion. On the other hand I have 2 kids so the multiple safeties on the Beretta are appealing as well. I'm not knocking the Glock but it seems like everyone and their Mamma has one. Especially in my age group (I'm 26). Then again everyone has one for a reason.. they're great guns. Obviously I'm torn between the two so I'm looking for help to sway me one way or the other. What do you guys consider the pros and cons of each?

This is going to be difficult. Both are such great guns.
Reliability are equally great, same with accuracy, and durability. Find a rental range and try both at the same setting. See which one you shoot better, which grip feel better.

ap3572001
07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I carry a Glock 23 ( .40) and also carry a Beretta 92FS 9mm. Both are great. In favor of Beretta : IT IS MORE RELIABLE. I taught tons of LEO's and other folks. Shoot in matches. Its very tough to get a more RELIABLE pistol than a 92FS in 9mm. When I say this I assume good FACTORY AMMO and FACTORY magazines. 92FS can be loaded QUICKLY if You lose a magazine. Also Beretta makes THE BEST 10 rd mags for people in CA. 92FS can fired with "Limp wrist" and it will still work. So if You have to fire in emergency, with a week hand and w/o much support the will still work. Because of the design it has a very light felt recoil. In favor of a Glock. The trigger pull is THE SAME fro the beginning to the end of the magazine. It will last several lifetimes. ( in 9mm). It is VERY easy to repair by anyone who take an 8 hour course from Glock . So if there is something wrong with Your Glock with a parts kit and a single tool I CAN make it work while You wait. And I go not need any special "giff or skill " to get it done. To conclude this A G17 and 92fs are great pistols both are used by cops and other units all over the world. Both in many cases have replaced my old favorite a 1911.

domokun
07-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Have you considered a "Croatian Glock" aka Springfield XD-9? It's built similarly except for the grip angle and is less expensive than the Glock 17. The pistol comes in a ported (V-10) and non-ported configuration.

Fobjoe
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
+1 on the XD. Awesome guns. You really can't go wrong with it. On the other hand, between your choices I'd say the beretta is a good choice. They are priced decently these days and I'm a bigger fan of the single action break you get on the trigger. Berettas feel similar to Sigs IMO :hide:

a few downsides to the beretta:
One thing that I don't like about the beretta is the grip. For newer shooters, it's very common to have an improper grip since it's less intuitive. I dislike the GLOCK's even more though. People also may accidentally "pinch" their hands while racking the slide if they grap the slide more towards the front. A buddy of mine still hasn't cleaned off the blood.

Lissauer
07-03-2008, 4:34 AM
I have both platforms and both are reliable. Go try both and see which one fits you best. If I was to buy a new Beretta, I would get the 92G, but that is just personal preference.

cal_ar_shooter
07-03-2008, 5:05 AM
You're absoultly right. My kids wont be able to get to it easily. Thats the first concern any sane parent considers when planning a firearm purchase. I plan on picking up a pistol safe when I finally decide which gun to buy.

It looks like I won't regret either choice. Like someone mentioned earlier I probably will end up with both. So I guess what will really sway my decision is price and availability. So much much do the Berettas go for? Anyone seen any at your local shop in the Bay? I know a few places to go to if I decide on the Glock. I was really close to buying one this month but wanted to make sure that is what I 100% wanted to get.

Wild Sports in Orangevale (Sacramento) has them on add NIB for $499.97.
My brother in law wants to check them out today.:D

I may see you there.:D

savs2k
07-03-2008, 5:08 AM
the beretta is ab out 600ish and the glock 530ish in the bay. I went with the a g19 because i shoot it better. Beretta is a really nice gun too though

Shane916
07-03-2008, 5:11 AM
Wild Sports in Orangevale (Sacramento) has them on add NIB for $499.97.
My brother in law wants to check them out today.:D

I may see you there.:D

Might want to double check as I believe that ad expired.

ibanezfoo
07-03-2008, 6:29 AM

I have both. Did you shoot them both? Which was more comfortable? Which were you more accurate with? I like my 92FS better, I am slightly more accurate with it, but it is heavier. I've done trigger work on both but the Glock just feels a little less nice. Never jammed either (err, well one single stovepipe with the 92FS but that was with range reloads if I recall). 92FS is more complicated to operate. I don't buy guns based on looks but the Glock is uglier. You can stand in the mirror and pretend you are .30 cents or whatever that guys name is with the Glock. You will have street cred with gutter people with the Glock. :)

-Bryan

Mezcalfud
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
The flexibility of a glock's assembly has its limitations also. Yes the armorer can switch out sights easily but he shouldn't have to because they keep falling out as mine have.

oghl888
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
While I have more Glocks in my collection, I favor the 92SF for defense because I can shoot it better. The repeated advice in this thread to "try both and see which one fits you the best" is probably your best bet.

If you do end up with the 92SF, make sure that the operation of the safeties becomes second nature/muscle memory.

savage1
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a 92fs, and while I do not have a glock in 9mm, I do have a .45. I love both guns, but they are totally different animals. The fit and finish is far better on the 92fs. The action is much smoother and finish is much nicer. I am more accurrate with the 92fs in slow fire, but rapid fire goes to the glock. I can get back on target far quicker with the glock. The glock is far easier to service also. My advice, shoot both and get the one you like, or even get both.

jazman
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Get a Glock 19. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through mine with no failures. I have never pinched my hand nor have seen anyone else do that. Break it down to clean (if you want, I clean mine about once a year unless I forget, but it always fires) in about 5 seconds to a total of 4 pieces. Get them wet, they fire. Dirty, they fire. Carry them in your belt without a holster, no problem with sweat messing up the finish. Actually, mine still looks new and I treat it hard. I baby all of my other guns, it's nice to have one you can throw around, drop, etc, and have it still look good and always work.

Guntech
07-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Last time I went to the local shop here in bay area a G17 was $535 and 92FS was in the same range

1911su16b870
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I own both and like both. Currently I am using a 92FS. IMO it is more accurate out to 25 yards than the G17 due to the longer barrel. I really like the Glock slide and grips, which make them very "pointable". If you point in with the Glock and see the square back of the slide, you are now combat accurate. IMO you won't be disappointed with either.

CrippledPidgeon
07-03-2008, 3:41 PM
I'm going to add a

+1 on the XD 9mm. I don't personally own one, but I've shot both the full size XD and the Glock 17, and I would say that I prefer the XD over the two.

It has an M1911-style grip safety so that the gun has to be gripped properly for the gun to be fired. It's really not a problem in practice, and it adds safety against small kids' curiosity. Certainly enough so that you can teach them how to properly treat guns when they're old enough to know the difference.

And I just prefer the XD's grip angle better than the glock's. All my other guns have similar angles, so it pointed more naturally FOR ME.

Guntech
07-03-2008, 4:01 PM
I'm going to add a

+1 on the XD 9mm. I don't personally own one, but I've shot both the full size XD and the Glock 17, and I would say that I prefer the XD over the two.

It has an M1911-style grip safety so that the gun has to be gripped properly for the gun to be fired. It's really not a problem in practice, and it adds safety against small kids' curiosity. Certainly enough so that you can teach them how to properly treat guns when they're old enough to know the difference.

And I just prefer the XD's grip angle better than the glock's. All my other guns have similar angles, so it pointed more naturally FOR ME.

Uh I think he said 92FS vs. G17....don't make the man wait any longer to purchase a gun by suggesting another great gun!!:D

Teletiger7
07-03-2008, 4:20 PM
As others have said which feels and shoots better for YOU? Not the other guy or a friend but YOU. That is what matters most. I like my Glock but that's becuz I prefer same trigger pul every time and enjoy some of the options the Glock offers for self customizing and ridiculously easy maintenance.

NVR SRNDR
07-03-2008, 4:27 PM
I think I'm going to buy the Glock because its a little cheaper. And guess what I'll get after 30 days... the Beretta! Seriously though I'm already familiar with the Glock so that is what I'll get first. I'll try renting the Beretta and if I like it I'll get that too. Just don't tell my wife! I've heard nothing but good things about the XD's but if I was going to get that type of gun I'd get the Glock. I've been wanting a Glock for a while. But when I was researching 9's I really grew to like the way the Beretta looks so that is what made it hard to decide.

chico.cm
07-03-2008, 8:02 PM
Buy both. I did.

gdr_11
07-03-2008, 8:05 PM
My vote is for the 92 fs. I have owned many different handguns and found three that fit my hand perfectly; the K/L frame S&W, the 1911, and the Beretta 92 fs. One rental session at the range with a Beretta and I was sold! I have an INOX that cost me $629 at Cordova Range in Sacramento. I use a airsoft replica daily in my backyard, which has really helped my one hand and weak hand accuracy. But, buy what you can shoot best.

ar15barrels
07-03-2008, 9:37 PM
Both are champs. Choose the one that you shoot best.

Short, sweet and to the point.
Shoot both.
Buy the one that calls you.

NVR SRNDR
07-03-2008, 9:50 PM
Short, sweet and to the point.
Shoot both.
Buy the one that calls you.

Buy the one that calls you. I like that! I'm pretty much set on buying both eventually.

ar15barrels
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Buy the one that calls you. I like that! I'm pretty much set on buying both eventually.

I bought 5 large capacity mags for a Beretta 92 back in 1999 because I knew I eventually wanted to get one.

I finally ran into a deal on one a few years ago.
I took it shooting a couple times and it's just not that good ergonomically.
The bore is very high from your grip.
The safety works backwards of most others.
I'm also not a fan of traditional DA/SA guns.

I doubt I will ever shoot the 92 again.
I'll sell it someday and that's saying a lot because a rarely sell guns out of my collection.
I only sell them if they are utterly useless to me.
My 92 currently fits that description.

My glock 17 on the other hand, I shoot in every match.
It sits lower in the hand which makes for faster double-taps.
It's infinetly customizable.
The trigger pull is the same every time (under 3lbs on my gun after I re-worked it)
I shoot it very well and the only reason I will be stopping is that I am building a Glock 34 clone of it right now.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/glock.jpg

randy
07-03-2008, 10:52 PM
No brainer in my book I'd take the Glock everytime.

Oldnoob
07-03-2008, 11:07 PM
http://products.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/92FS_S_maxi.jpg

http://www.famous-guns.com/wp-content/uploads/glock-17-03.jpg

RaceDay
07-04-2008, 8:55 AM
I think I'm going to buy the Glock because its a little cheaper. And guess what I'll get after 30 days... the Beretta! Seriously though I'm already familiar with the Glock so that is what I'll get first. I'll try renting the Beretta and if I like it I'll get that too. Just don't tell my wife! I've heard nothing but good things about the XD's but if I was going to get that type of gun I'd get the Glock. I've been wanting a Glock for a while. But when I was researching 9's I really grew to like the way the Beretta looks so that is what made it hard to decide.

That sounds like the best decision of all-- buy both.