PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 vs. SA XD9 Tactical

cgmoe
07-02-2008, 1:29 PM
Glock 34 vs. Springfield-Armory XD9 Tactical

Has anyone shot both of these? If so, can you give an honest comparison?

From what I can tell here are the pros and cons to each:

Glock 34
+4.5lb factory trigger
+Extended Mag and Slide release
+Adjustable sights (this is subjective as they are cheap plastic)
+Spare parts readily available
+5.32" barrel
+lightened slide
+Proven competition gun
+Slide/barrel interchangeable with G17
-$100 more than SA XD9 Tactical
-factory plastic sights
-polygonal rifling (lead bullets)
Length: 8.15"
Height: 5.43"
*Glock lists this as 22.9 ounces empty, 32.79 ounces loaded
*Glock tenifer slide coating is a proven durable coating

Springfield-Armory XD9 Tactical
+$100 less than Glock 34
+dovetail sights
+ambi mag release
+5" barrel
-Slide/barrel not interchangeable with 4" Service model
-Spare parts not easily obtained
-Trigger pull may be 5.5-7.7lbs from factory, not ideal for competition shooting
*SA lists list as 30 ounces empty - heavier than G34
Length: 8.3"
Height: 5.5"

What Just Happened?
07-02-2008, 2:13 PM
I've only shot the G34, but I'll post a couple of my wandering thoughts.

Are you planning on shooting IDPA? If so, keep in mind that the XD9 is 'single-action' so you'll be bumped into the ESP category.

Don't worry about what's a 'proven' competition gun so long as you're not making it into an open gun. As long as you can get the trigger to where you like it and get the sights you want, that's all you need for production.

The interchangability of slides isn't something I'd worry too much about. I'd only concern myself if you really want to change calibers.

Spare parts aren't much of an issue if you aren't mucking around internally or if you shoot less than 5,000 rounds a year (which most people do).

So basically what's left is the weight and the grip. And that's pretty much a personal choice. I like my CZ SP-01 which weighs 41 ounces unloaded. I don't mind the weight and know that my grip isn't good enough where I can keep the muzzle rise down on my own.

All that said, I know that my next handgun will either be a Glock or another 1911.

Booshanky
07-02-2008, 2:27 PM
I think it comes down to whether you like the angle of the glock grip. I don't.

Black Majik
07-02-2008, 2:35 PM
I've shot both, and own a G34. Both are fantastic pistols.

Booskanky is correct in my opinion. Both platforms are very similiar. It'll come down to whether or not the shooter can use/get used to the Glock grip angle. With some dedication the "Glock grip angle" can be overcome. I was the same way, now the grip angle isn't an issue.

I enjoy shooting both, but they swing differently. I find the XD Tactical to very really front heavy. that is the biggest reason I lean towards the Glock 34. The trigger will also feel different, they stack differently in the slack. Both triggers suck out of the box, tolerable, but still pretty bad.

You'll have to shoot both and see which one you like more. They'll both be really accurate paper punchers. I'll toss in a vote for the G34 for "outdoor use." :D

lazyworm
07-02-2008, 2:36 PM
I have both. I like the Glock a lot more than the XD.
This is mostly due to the factory triggers. I could change
my mind if I ever get them trigger jobs.

Other pros/cons
* the glock has a thicker grip than the XD.
* due to the heavier glock slide, the glock jumps slightly less than the XD
* The cut on the top of the slide on the glock allow you to use ported barrels. My Glock with a lonewolf ported barrel shoots like a .22

domokun
07-02-2008, 2:44 PM
Look at the Springfield XD V10 series, they come ported from the factory with only catch that they only come in .40 S&W and 9mm right now.

slowfire
07-02-2008, 3:14 PM
You'll have to shoot both and see which one you like more. They'll both be really accurate paper punchers. I'll toss in a vote for the G34 for "outdoor use." :D

I have owned both. Black Majik is correct you will have to shoot both for yourself. They are both fun to shoot . . . I prefer the Glock 34. That and the 35 were their competition models.

apbrian112
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Glock 34 vs. Springfield-Armory XD9 Tactical

Has anyone shot both of these? If so, can you give an honest comparison?

From what I can tell here are the pros and cons to each:

Glock 34
+4.5lb factory trigger
+Extended Mag and Slide release
+Adjustable sights (this is subjective as they are cheap plastic)
+Spare parts readily available
+5.32" barrel
+lightened slide
+Proven competition gun
+Slide/barrel interchangeable with G17
-$100 more than SA XD9 Tactical
-factory plastic sights
-polygonal rifling (lead bullets)
Length: 8.15"
Height: 5.43"
*Glock lists this as 22.9 ounces empty, 32.79 ounces loaded
*Glock tenifer slide coating is a proven durable coating

Springfield-Armory XD9 Tactical
+$100 less than Glock 34
+dovetail sights
+ambi mag release
+5" barrel
-Slide/barrel ARE interchangeable with 4" Service model
-Spare parts not easily obtained
-Trigger pull may be 5.5-7.7lbs from factory, not ideal for competition shooting
*SA lists list as 30 ounces empty - heavier than G34
Length: 8.3"
Height: 5.5"

i've shot both, and currently have the SA XD9 service and xd40 tactical... here's my opinion on them in comparison to glock:
-less expensive and more readily available
-sights? if you're using it for competition you'll most likely change them out anyways so that's a tie (SA stock sights are notoriously difficult to remove, ask me how i know :mad:)
-production legal (USPSA) extended mag release (don't have to change the grip on your pistol to release the mag which is a HUGE advantage)
-SLIDE AND BARREL WILL FIT from a tactical to a service and vice versa, just not onto the XDSC... also, i took my xd9 service slide and slapped it on my xd40 tactical frame to test fire and it was good to go. not only are the frames the same (extractor and breechface obviously are different) the slides are compatible from 9 to 40 (pretty much once frame, 2 slides in 2 calibers and you're good to go)
-spare parts, while not as abundant as those for a glock are readily available (check out www.pistolgear.com for all your SA XD needs)
-trigger pull? if you're into competition shooting, you'll most likely get a trigger job done (or do it yourself) and there are several very good trigger jobs out there (SA pro shop, Canyon creek, Powder river, springer precision)
-springfields changed the finish (several years ago) to a new melonite finish which is durable and warrantied for the life of the pistol
-competition proven? while not as prevalant in USPSA/IPSC, Rob Leatham did win the Production Nationals with a XD. and i give all the "D" class shooters a run for their money when i shoot my xd9 (production) or xd40 (L10) :p
-plus the xd's have a 1911 type grip angle while the glock has the hump (which actually provides for greater control of muzzle flip since your wrists are in a forward-leaning position) and to be fair, the glock can undergo a grip reduction which would bring it more in line with the 1911 grip angle <however, if you're shooting production class, grip/frame mods other than grip tape are a BIG NO-NO!>
-bore axis, this is where the glock has the advantage... the glocks have a lower bore axis which in turn leads to less muzzle flip/easier recoil management. on a 9mm it's not to bad anyways, but when you move to a 40 (glock 35, xd40 tactical) it becomes more noticable...

and last but not least.... if you're planning on getting either the glock 34 or xd9 tactical... DON'T!! instead, buy their bigger brothers, the glock 35 or the xd40 tactical... it allows you to be more flexible (especially when comp shooting). there are readily available conversion barrels for both the block and the xd and will allow you to shoot in production, L10, Limited and even open for the glock (SJC convertible mount with built in comp and platform for mounting optics).

best suggestion? go to a range that carries both and shoot them both... then decide.

HeHateMe
07-03-2008, 5:47 PM
I currently own both. I put in the ghost rocket in my glock. The XD is stock. Both are accurate and I've had no malfunctions with either. If I had my way, I would but the XD grip on the glock upper. I don't know why, but the height of the XD annoys me. The XD is also a bit heavier up front. I dont' think you could go wrong with either. I put on Sevigny competition sights on he glock as well. You have a tough choice to make. I would lean towared the G34.

Greg-Dawg
07-03-2008, 8:04 PM
Glock.

X-NewYawker
07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Owned both. Kept XD-9
Glocks just don't naturally point right for me (and I lot of folks)
Trigger and feel better on XD. If price was the same, I'd still buy the XD. It's my house SHTF gun.

I just got one for my Captain buddy who returned form two tours in the sand box. He has relatively small hands and he LOVES the feel of the XD.
The Glock (even the 9s) either fit you or they don't.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/BSXD-2.jpg

3GunFunShooter
07-04-2008, 9:49 AM
I have a Glock 35, bought the XD9 5" My scores in competition improved over 50%, it is all about how the gun fits your hand. Had the Glock grip reduction. Great gun now. I would buy another Glock if they just offer the option on the grips, Wish I could get the CCF Glock in Cal.

Stockton
07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
XD for me because of the safety features of the 1911 and the grip angle. I did do a trigger job and installed Dawson adjustable sights. Really improved two major issues (other than me..LOL) when shooting competition which is trigger and sights.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/macarmy19d/Guns/XD9mm/DSC00467.jpg

Shenaniguns
07-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't like the XD series personally, but I love my Glock 34 :D It's my favorite of 6 other Glocks that I've owned and it's at the 10k round mark and has only had 1 fail to feed due to a weakened ISMI 15# spring or underpowered load at the 6k round mark, other that that I've shot 1000 rounds w/o cleaning it and it'll do a 1" group at 45 feet if it's a good day for me.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG_0061.jpg

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 5:33 PM
i give all the "D" class shooters a run for their money when i shoot my xd9 (production) or xd40 (L10) :p

That's it, I'm swearing off glocks and getting an XD...

NOT. :D

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/glock.jpg

X-NewYawker
07-04-2008, 9:57 PM
I think it has to be said in summation that this choice is 100 % about FEEL. Both guns are reliable or accurate, but some people (clearly with long fingers/hands) can handle the grip angle/size of the GLOCK. I cannot. It is embarrassing because I do some work for GLOCK every year, and I can't keep one because while I shot my Practical Tactical M34 VERY well at 50 yards, I was never comfortable doing it. I think it's noteworthy that most who love their GLOCKS have done SOMETHING to improve their handling.

Shenaniguns
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
This 11 year old girl did fine with a Glock 19 in Tactical Responses Fighting Pistol class... (The malfunctions were from dummy rounds placed purposely to teach you to clear malfunctions consistently)

Taken from http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/962106881/m/7701099844

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2rKj4eZgo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuvmbeX8t0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I think it has to be said in summation that this choice is 100 % about FEEL. Both guns are reliable or accurate, but some people (clearly with long fingers/hands) can handle the grip angle/size of the GLOCK. I cannot. It is embarrassing because I do some work for GLOCK every year, and I can't keep one because while I shot my Practical Tactical M34 VERY well at 50 yards, I was never comfortable doing it. I think it's noteworthy that most who love their GLOCKS have done SOMETHING to improve their handling.

If you have hobbit fingers, there's just not much that can be done beyond a grip reduction.
That would make the glock un-necessarily expensive though.
Get what you shoot best with.

I undercut my triggerguard to make the gun sit lower in my hand.
This helps to control muzzle flip and gets you back on target faster.
The same thing applies to all handguns though, not just glocks.