PDA

View Full Version : Thigh Holsters: Functionally Crap?

workinwifdakids
07-02-2008, 1:03 PM
For those of you who have actually USED a thigh holster (or drop-leg platform, or whatever they're calling them), what is your opinion: nonsense, or leap forward? Do you have a favorite make and model?

USN CHIEF
07-02-2008, 1:06 PM
I used one for about 4 years. Really worked great on land and on vessels. Kind of hard to get through the scuttles with a regular rig. I used the safariland brand.

JTROKS
07-02-2008, 1:14 PM
I used to think that the thigh holsters were crap until I got assigned to a mobile unit. With the pistol holstered on your thigh it doesn't get in the way of seatbelts. In tactical situations where you'd be crouching, sitting, kneeling or rolling around, it is easier to access and it won't give you that pain on your side when you have to roll out of harms way.

Spyder
07-02-2008, 1:15 PM
Tried a few different things for my backup pistol during hunting season. Thigh worked great, much better than underarm or standard strong side. Comfy and out of the way of the rifle. Catches on brush sometimes, but no worse than any other position I've tried.

Jeff.
07-02-2008, 1:30 PM
I use one during hunting season for my backup. It's out of the way, and easily reachable. I prefer it x10 over any waist holster.

And I accidentally voted nonsense. Haha.

ldivinag
07-02-2008, 1:45 PM
a family relative who's a K9 cop for a local PD uses one...

Juicymeat
07-02-2008, 2:53 PM
If you get a drop leg, make sure you get a good one and don't skimp. Cheap drop leg holsters tend to wobble around (in which case you'll tighten it to the point where it's constricting) and feel uncomfortable. A great holster is the Safariland 6004 series, after awhile you don't even notice it's there. Serpas aren't bad either.

emc002
07-02-2008, 2:59 PM
Great for fishing or backpacking as they're out of your way.
Just make sure you have a gun that doesn't mind the water! (XD or Glock)

Danield
07-02-2008, 3:05 PM
I use a thigh holster, cause i'm fat and with a belt holster, my gun will get sucked into my roll.

Stockton
07-02-2008, 3:20 PM
Have used them for a long time now. Most recently in iraq. Safariland 6004. Did its job very well. A few guys wore the BHI drop leg and liked them as well especially when getting in and out of that front pocket. I've tried the SpecOps Vapor rig and a few others from BHI. Would have to say the Safariland has been the best for me.

Rem1492
07-02-2008, 3:34 PM
I have used the regular blackhawk type. They work great like the others said, just size it up right and tighten it down, the first time you go running you will find out where the pistol butt hits you on each step :)

1911su16b870
07-02-2008, 3:52 PM
I think the drop leg rig is the best way to go when you have a longarm and all the associated things on your belt/vest area. If you wear them a little higher on the thigh, you'll end up running less like a duck. I have only used the Safariland product, so can not comment on the BHI stuff.

workinwifdakids
07-02-2008, 3:53 PM
:drool5:
I use a thigh holster, cause i'm fat and with a belt holster, my gun will get sucked into my roll.
:useless:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

TonyM
07-02-2008, 4:03 PM

Nomination for the "Most Shameless, True Statement" award?

:D

emc002
07-02-2008, 4:05 PM

I'd add it to my sig line, but I'm already quoting you! Somebody ought to snatch this up!
(And my quote is even better than this quote)

Danield
07-02-2008, 4:06 PM
I'd add it to my sig line, but I'm already quoting you! Somebody ought to snatch this up!
(And my quote is even better than this quote)

I do come up with some good ones.

emc002
07-02-2008, 4:08 PM
I do come up with some good ones.

Yes you do! I'd say you're probably the most quotable here... At least for the threads that still exist!

Oh yeah, and sorry OP!

leitung
07-02-2008, 5:06 PM
The drop legs look dumb, but I like where it rides, the one I have sits nicely right where my hand drops..

8200rpm
07-02-2008, 5:11 PM
http://www.safariland.com/media/pop.asp?model=6004

workinwifdakids
07-02-2008, 6:43 PM
Oh yeah, and sorry OP!

It's all good, man. The minute things get too sterile here, I'm gone!

Danield
07-02-2008, 7:03 PM
It's all good, man. The minute things get too sterile here, I'm gone!

hah. Too bad you weren't involved in the man card thread.... if you don't want sterile, that was the place to be.

Guntech
07-02-2008, 9:32 PM
Very few good thigh holsters in my experience...try Safariland or Blackhawk Serpa

happy_gunner
07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
safariland for drop leg, black hawk Serpa for hip holster

Jeff.
07-03-2008, 9:19 AM
This is kind of off-topic, but not really. When open carrying, can you open carry with a drop-leg holster? Mags still out and on opposite side obviously.

Stanze
07-03-2008, 9:22 AM
I'd like to try a quality one, the UTG Thigh holster I bought at the gun show for 17 bucks is sucky. It moves around and doesn't hold my GLOCK 17 too well. My Beretta M93R airsoft with forward hand grip fits good in there though.

But still, I think I might need a front cross draw holster or shoulder holster for my pistol to keep out of the way of my rifle.

WhiteDingo
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd like to try a quality one, the UTG Thigh holster I bought at the gun show for 17 bucks is sucky. It moves around and doesn't hold my GLOCK 17 too well. My Beretta M93R airsoft with forward hand grip fits good in there though.

But still, I think I might need a front cross draw holster or shoulder holster for my pistol to keep out of the way of my rifle.

The Safariland holsters are one of your best bets as far as holding it well, the SERPAs work well also.

For something a little bit lower profile (but just as comfy and secure), the SOTech Groundpounder rigs are right up there.

apbrian112
07-03-2008, 1:36 PM
i think they're great when you're using body armor of some sort... i used a crappy one while deployed (bought it off the iraqis, ironic eh?) and it would move around too much (plus i had so many different weapons to choose from in the hatch <HMMWV 1025> i just ended up strapping to my hatch cover and almost never pulled it out. i almost never got out of the hatch on patrol since i was the gunner.
now that i've started in USPSA i'm limited to hip holsters (unless multi-gunning) and have gotten used to drawing from the hip.

USMC_2651_E5
07-03-2008, 1:43 PM
I use the Safariland 6004 on a daily basis. It is very comfortable and stays in the same place (a plus when it comes to draws and muscle memory).

SteveH
07-03-2008, 1:45 PM
I used a Safariland thigh holster at a class and it was significantly slower than a good belt holster. YMMV.

Guntech
07-03-2008, 1:49 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but not really. When open carrying, can you open carry with a drop-leg holster? Mags still out and on opposite side obviously.

You code try, but code specifically says on the hip I think, you might get arrested but most likely no charges would be brought against you as it is not concealed.

Jeff.
07-03-2008, 1:57 PM
Thanks for your insight. I'd opviously err on the side of caution, but that's kind of too bad, since I very much prefer a drop-leg to a hip holster in damn near every scenario.

lehn20
07-03-2008, 6:53 PM
Tactical thigh holsters came about to fill a niece when Mil/Leo/IC etc started getting big bulky bodyarmor/tactical rigs. Regular holsters could no longer be accessed or carried and they were put on the thigh.
They work great. 6004 sets the standard so far.

HCz
07-04-2008, 1:19 AM

Done!:p

MustangO4
07-04-2008, 4:04 AM
I am in Iraq and a fobit most of the time this trip. When I do leave and have all my gear on and am sweating my *** off, I don't mind and wear a vapor holster. All other times, I just use an OWB holster because it is more comfortable and doesn't rub you leg raw schleping from the airconditioned palace, to the internet cafe, to the chowhall, to the gym and back to your airconditioned trailer. War is hell.

elsolo
07-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Putting the gun on a place that moves back and forth as much as your thigh, unless you are wearing body armor or such...

If you ever decide to play gun games like USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, etc., you'll have to use a hip holster, and they are faster and the gun doesn't move around nearly as much while running and such.

macguyver77
07-05-2008, 10:23 PM

I found that the Jacket slot holster from Uncle Mike's works well to counter act the "roll" factor. Try it, it works great for me.

MrEd
07-06-2008, 6:29 PM
I use the serpa thigh rig , used the safariland 6004 but switched due to one great feature on the serpa , you can put your hand in your pocket . Good thing in cold weather when you have to hurry up and wait .