PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP101

dfletcher
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 - 2" bbl, 357 Mag - and it's double action only. Has the spurless hammer. I have a set of Wolff springs, already installed the lighter trigger return spring, did a little parts polishing to the DA sear & fly, nothing unusual. The Wolff spring package comes with 3 different strength mainsprings - 9lb, 10lb & 12 lb. I'm wondering if anyone with the spurless hammer has used the springs, does the lighter mainspring hammer result it a misfire if using the 9lb spring - anyone with a 101 DAO who can provide specific results?

oghl888
07-02-2008, 7:20 PM
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 - 2" bbl, 357 Mag - and it's double action only. Has the spurless hammer. I have a set of Wolff springs, already installed the lighter trigger return spring, did a little parts polishing to the DA sear & fly, nothing unusual. The Wolff spring package comes with 3 different strength mainsprings - 9lb, 10lb & 12 lb. I'm wondering if anyone with the spurless hammer has used the springs, does the lighter mainspring hammer result it a misfire if using the 9lb spring - anyone with a 101 DAO who can provide specific results?

I have one and had a trigger job done by a smith. I don't know exactly what spring weight was used, but it's much lighter than factory. The only way to really be sure is to test it and see how much the primer dimples. Each gun is slightly different, and some are different enough that what works on one doesn't work on another. For example, one of my S&W 686's hammer was slanted to the left. It drags on the frame a little as it falls. The primer dimple was noticeably shallower compare to my other S&W wheel guns. It was finally fixed by S&W under warranty.

hd0642
07-03-2008, 3:19 AM
ive got it with a spur and used the 9 lb spring. its gone to the range 3 times for around 250 rounds without incident.