PDA

View Full Version : New Law and gun prices?

ap3572001
07-02-2008, 8:39 AM
I keep hearing that the July 1st law will effect the gun prices in CA? Any opinions on that?

Dirtbiker
07-02-2008, 8:42 AM
My guess is it won't change a thing. But that is just a SWAG (scientific wild *** guess)

ap3572001
07-02-2008, 8:49 AM
My understanding is that before anyone who knows a "friendly FF holder" can simply go on Gunbroker ( or other site) and buy whatever they want ( as long as its legal to own in CA). have it shipped and be done with it. Now, I am hearing it will be much more complicated for the SELLER. The whole situation may drive up the prices on desireable guns that are already in the State and can be PPT with out any complications.

drclark
07-02-2008, 8:52 AM
If the net effect of the new law is the reduction of out-of-state FFLs willing to deal with CA it will probably cut off internet deals (via gunbroker). If local FFLS no longer have to deal with competition from the internet then you might see prices drift upward. I don't think it will affect prices of new guns that much, but the used gun market could suffer.

drc

ap3572001
07-02-2008, 9:40 AM
Yes, that's what I was talking about . The used guns that are desireable WILL be more expensive.

Vin496
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
The new law does not affect used gun(person to person) sales from out of State. If you have a local FFL who will accepts transfers from an individual, it's business as usual.

The new law only applies to new gun(FFL to FFL) transfers from out of State.

My understanding is once a FFL is set up to be current with the new California law, it's not really a huge difference for them to sale to California Residents, and since we are a large gun market, I think the larger internet dealers will or are already set up to deal with us.

slick_711
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
The way the new law is worded, it says you cannot drive while holding your phone to your ear. Nowhere does it say that you cannot drive while erratically brandishing a firearm.

That said, if less people are holding phones, I believe this will drive gun sales up, via giving more people a free hand to wave about a firearm while they drive. I predict the majority of the sales increase will befall Glock, the Springfield XD line, and Sturm-Ruger.

If you look at it in that respect, by boosting firearms sales, and also arming more drivers; this new law is both good for combatting the recession and good for balancing the scales in road rage incidents. If Granny is waving a "Gat Deuce Deuce" while she drives, won't you think twice before flipping her the bird for doing 35 in the fast lane?

It's for the children people.

timmyb21
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
The way the new law is worded, it says you cannot drive while holding your phone to your ear. Nowhere does it say that you cannot drive while erratically brandishing a firearm.

That said, if less people are holding phones, I believe this will drive gun sales up, via giving more people a free hand to wave about a firearm while they drive. I predict the majority of the sales increase will befall Glock, the Springfield XD line, and Sturm-Ruger.

If you look at it in that respect, by boosting firearms sales, and also arming more drivers; this new law is both good for combatting the recession and good for balancing the scales in road rage incidents. If Granny is waving a "Gat Deuce Deuce" while she drives, won't you think twice before flipping her the bird for doing 35 in the fast lane?

I was just about to say that...

Vin496
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM

:confused::rofl2:

Ironchef
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Do you guys realize this effects FFLs INSIDE California too? Or are we not talking about the CFLC thing?

Because from the CFLC letter I read that my FFL shared with me, it's for ANY shipping of firearms that requires the permission slip from the CA DOJ prior to shipment. Of course many out of state FFLs will just write off CA sales because of the requirement (register, then get permission letters for every sale). They shouldn't raise gun prices, and they won't..but they'd likely charge a greater handling fee for going through the CFLC process...and of course they'll have a place to store CA purchased guns waiting for their permission letter from the CA DOJ..so that could get ugly.

dustoff31
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Do you guys realize this effects FFLs INSIDE California too? Or are we not talking about the CFLC thing?

Because from the CFLC letter I read that my FFL shared with me, it's for ANY shipping of firearms that requires the permission slip from the CA DOJ prior to shipment. Of course many out of state FFLs will just write off CA sales because of the requirement (register, then get permission letters for every sale). They shouldn't raise gun prices, and they won't..but they'd likely charge a greater handling fee for going through the CFLC process...and of course they'll have a place to store CA purchased guns waiting for their permission letter from the CA DOJ..so that could get ugly.

Your right. I don't see the price of guns changing too much other than normal inflation. But dealers on both ends will probably be increasing shipping and handling and/or transfers costs.

Vin496
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
It seems that a few are unaware of what the new law actually is, so feel free to read it.

As you see it only relates to FFL to FFL out of state transfers, it has no affect on Private Party out of state transfers.

Once a FFL from out of state is set up to deal with the new law, they have 24/7 access to the California database. Besides the hassle of the initial sign up and having to go online to enter the info for each gun transfer, there are no cost to FFLs, and should add just a few minutes to each order.

Here is the link to the CLFC. Do yourself a favor and read it, so you actually know what it is, and that way people can't try to pass off "extra fees" to you, as it cost your local FFL zero time and zero money, and only adds a minute or 2 to out of state FFLS.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

Ironchef
07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
It seems that a few are unaware of what the new law actually is, so feel free to read it.

As you see it only relates to FFL to FFL out of state transfers, it has no affect on Private Party out of state transfers.

Once a FFL from out of state is set up to deal with the new law, they have 24/7 access to the California database. Besides the hassle of the initial sign up and having to go online to enter the info for each gun transfer, there are no cost to FFLs, and should add just a few minutes to each order.

Here is the link to the CLFC. Do yourself a favor and read it, so you actually know what it is, and that way people can't try to pass off "extra fees" to you, as it cost your local FFL zero time and zero money, and only adds a minute or 2 to out of state FFLS.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

Oh, so it's an electronic process? I was under the impression that there was actual snail-mail used to send letters approving of a transfer.

And it is not just interstate transfers..it's in state according to this faq:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php#3

I am an FFL in California. How does the CFLC program affect me?

If you receive firearms, you must either be listed on the Centralized List of firearms dealers pursuant to Penal Code Section 12071, or the Centralized List of exempted federal firearms licensees permanent to Section 12083. (Pen. Code, 12083, subd. (c)(1).) Anytime you receive a firearm from an FFL (whether the other FFL is located within, or outside of California) a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the FFL shipper must be included with the firearm. (Pen. Code, 12070, subd., (f)(1)(A).) If you are not a licensed dealer, but are an FFL on DOJ's Centralized List of exempt FFLs, you must retain each Firearms Shipment Approval number on file for three years. (Pen. Code, 12083, subd., (d)(1).) When you ship/transfer a firearm to another California FFL, you must obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms. In order to obtain Firearms Shipment Approval numbers, you must enroll in the CFLC program.

Vin496
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I stand corrected about the Out Of State only Part.

Still it does not affect the receiving FFL, and only adds a minute or 2 to the sending FFLs. In this day and age I imagine almost all will be set up for online verification, as they are for DROS(in State) and for FBI background INSTANT BACKGROUND CHECK(everywhere else).

This is another of the goofiest gun laws, just meant to add more paperwork and discourage people from dealing with this State. It does nothing else, all it does is verify to receiving FFL and require you to log it. We really needed another law for that, being that you can go on the Federal FFL website and do the same.

Ironchef
07-02-2008, 3:51 PM
We'll see, won't we? FFLs are not always the brightest or most ethical tools in the shed. It wouldn't be surprising to see one charge handling for having to go through the hoop of registering cflc. People have noticed alot more "No sales to CA" on sites and to some it would be a nice excuse to gouge. If not, cool.

I just bought an AR lower from Spike's in June to avoid any inconveniences arising from this. I'm sure we'll hear from others here who bought from reluctant sellers out of state (or in) who got hassled or charged even for the inconvenience they put on a seller out of state requiring them to register with the CA DOJ. I know I probably wouldn't play the CA DOJ game if were a weapon seller out of state.

slick_711
07-02-2008, 8:05 PM
Look guys, just buy a headset or a bluetooth, it's not that big a deal. :chris: