PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Prismatic?

Socal04CoBra
07-02-2008, 6:14 AM
Anybody have any experience with this optic? It's new, but also leupold so you know you are getting a quality product. I am just exploring my options for optics. Thanks.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/prismatic-riflescope/prismatic-1x14mm-tactical-illum-reticle/

jimbo1747
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I asked the very same question just a week or so ago. Unfortunately not too many folks have had a chance to handle one yet?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=107371

Socal04CoBra
07-02-2008, 3:31 PM
Seems a lot of people a not on board with this. Wierd.....

PIRATE14
07-02-2008, 4:49 PM
Well we got a few in and sold our first one today......

I haven't shot w/ one yet......

But the glass is good....picks up light and the surroundings look brighter...

It does come w/ a mount.....not a big as a Aimpoint....

I don't think it'll dissapoint you if you picked one up.....

lehn20
07-02-2008, 7:13 PM
Buy a T-1 instead

maxicon
07-03-2008, 6:57 AM
The big drawback I see to this is that it's a 1x magnification, so you have the standard eye relief issues with any traditional scope, rather than the unlimited eye relief of an Aimpoint or Eotech.

On the upside, you get the etched reticle, so it's still useful if your batteries give out or the electronics die, and you can run it without the illumination module if you want.

Blacktail 8541
07-06-2008, 8:09 AM
The big drawback I see to this is that it's a 1x magnification, so you have the standard eye relief issues with any traditional scope, rather than the unlimited eye relief of an Aimpoint or Eotech.

On the upside, you get the etched reticle, so it's still useful if your batteries give out or the electronics die, and you can run it without the illumination module if you want.

I have news for you, aimpoints and eotechs are 1x as well. The 1X designation means no magnification. There are some scopes listed as 1x that are not true 1x, but this is not the case with the leupold prismactic. The eye relief issue you pointed out is based on the optic being of prismatic design..

maxicon
07-08-2008, 9:01 AM
I was specifically differentiating between no magnification and 1x magnification. It may seem like a fine point, but it's an important one.

That is, an Aimpoint, Eotech, whatever, has no optical magnification - just a piece of glass or plastic with the reticle displayed on it. It's like looking through a window, which has no magnification. Yes, it's 1x, but it's not 1x magnification.

A Prismatic, like a DMS-1 (or any scope with true 1x capabitily) set at 1x, has 1x magnification due to the design of the optical elements. As a result, there's a focal length and a focal point, giving a specific point for eye relief and an eyebox, like on all magnified optics.

A non-magnified optic can be used at any distance from the eye that allows you to still see the reticle through the window. A 1x magnification optic needs the eye somewhere near the exit focal point to be useful, which limits where it can be mounted and how the eye can align with it.

PIRATE14
07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I was specifically differentiating between no magnification and 1x magnification. It may seem like a fine point, but it's an important one.

That is, an Aimpoint, Eotech, whatever, has no optical magnification - just a piece of glass or plastic with the reticle displayed on it. It's like looking through a window, which has no magnification. Yes, it's 1x, but it's not 1x magnification.

A Prismatic, like a DMS-1 (or any scope with true 1x capabitily) set at 1x, has 1x magnification due to the design of the optical elements. As a result, there's a focal length and a focal point, giving a specific point for eye relief and an eyebox, like on all magnified optics.

A non-magnified optic can be used at any distance from the eye that allows you to still see the reticle through the window. A 1x magnification optic needs the eye somewhere near the exit focal point to be useful, which limits where it can be mounted and how the eye can align with it.

This is very true and the Prismatic more similar to scope but the reticle is very clear unlike a EOTECH.......and doesn't need to be on for a reticle....

HHHMMM.....if I was kickin in Doors all the time.....EOTECH and Aimpoint....

But I think it's a very excellent sight for most people....

bobfried
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I have news for you, aimpoints and eotechs are 1x as well. The 1X designation means no magnification. There are some scopes listed as 1x that are not true 1x, but this is not the case with the leupold prismactic. The eye relief issue you pointed out is based on the optic being of prismatic design..

Like maxicon already stated, 1x means it is MAGNIFIED 1x. As in the image has been filtered through glass elements to create a 1 to 1 representation on the rear element of the optic. The initial light waves hit the front element, than it is focused and pass through the optic to the rear element where it retains it's original magnification of 1x. The problem with 1x is that the image will be SMALLER at the rear element since it has traveled approximately 2 inches inside the Prismatic body. So the image presented at the rear element, whilst 1x, is actually 2 inches FARTHER AWAY than what is being seen by your eye. Put your hand in front of your face than move it out 2 inches, notice that it will look different.

And as maxicon has already said, there is a HUGE eye relief issue, this is what the Leupold website said:

Eye Relief (in) 3.0 (5.0)

That ain't much considering the Aimpoint/Eotech has INFINITE eye relief. Heck, a TA-11 ACOG has 2.5 inches of eye relief and it has 3.5x magnification. And scopes that are 1-4x generally have eye relief of over 3".

CSTactical
07-09-2008, 6:22 PM
I really like the sight.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/CSGUNWORKS308/SBqUeYKCaYI/AAAAAAAAAKM/ZfyggoBtVes/P1030499.JPG?imgmax=512

Here is link to our review.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1346515#post1346515