PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Charter Arms

Heatseeker
07-01-2008, 9:27 PM
I'm working on a boat for a guy who is a retired LEO. I was joking with him that I would "work for guns." He surprised me by saying that he wasn't really a gun guy, but he did have a few old pieces hanging around. Apparently one of them is an early Charter Arms .38 Undercover. He's going to bring it down next time we meet at the boat for my inspection.

What would be the general value range on one of these guns? I looked around on Gunbroker and Guns America but only found new Charters listed. Any ideas?

I won't even go into the story he told me about recently selling a Colt select fire AR 15 to a "buddy" for $200...

dfletcher
07-01-2008, 9:52 PM
Probably blued steel, skinny walnut grips & 2" bbl. If he's a nice guy, he'd sell it for about $150.00.

slowfire
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Charter Arms is not really considered on the upper end of the $$$$ scale.

tonelar
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Back when new S&W small frame revolvers were going for $350, Charter Arms bulldogs (5 shot) were just over $100.

bubbaskyjacker
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
you better watch out, a gun and a boat mmm. "your gonna take a swim wit the fishys" if your price upsets him. lol

Heatseeker
07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
you better watch out, a gun and a boat mmm. "your gonna take a swim wit the fishys" if your price upsets him. lol
Too funny!

I know the Charters aren't real desirable collector's pieces, but they are a small piece of history in their own rite. The latest issue of American Rifleman has a cool article on them. Since I really like snubs, I'll offer him a $100 credit on it and see where it goes.

This guy said he carried it in his riot bag as a "throwdown" :eek: .

Moonclip
07-02-2008, 1:04 AM
I'd go $100-150 if I wanted it but Charter Arms is known for poor QC and is beared out by the ones I have owned. This guy seems to be someone I'd not want to deal with though. I wonder if him and his "buddy" legally transferred or owned that AR, somehow I doubt it.