PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Ruger MK III. What barrel length? Bull barrel or normal?

SeANMcBAY
07-01-2008, 8:30 PM
What would you guys recommend. I would like a shorter barrel because its smaller, easier for me to store but I'll get a longer one if its worth it. What's the difference? Also what's the difference between bull and normal barrels? What is better?

Kruzr
07-01-2008, 8:35 PM
The 5 1/2" bull barrels are the most balanced. The bull barrels have less flex to them and are considered slightly more accurate but it would be hard to prove. :)

xjz
07-01-2008, 8:45 PM
I got the P512MKIII 22/45 which is the 5.5 inch bull barrell pistol and I love it. It doesn't feel too heavy and is very ballanced. I personally think the shorter barrels look funny. I put a red dot on it for a while but ended up shooting better with the adjustable irons that came with it. I really love the little gun. I did almost want to throw it out the window the first time I took it apart because all the parts fit together extremely tight and it took me 3 hours or so of trying but now its easy to dissasemble and reassemble.

jakethesnake
07-01-2008, 9:31 PM
I just bought a RUGER P512MKIII 22/45 TARGET 22LR 5.5" BLUE for $274.95 + $25 DROS.

There's probably no better price/performance 22LR handgun you can buy. Ruger has this market nailed as far as I know.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10107

If you're getting a fun little 22 for target practice I think it makes sense to go for a longish barrel. You're going to get somewhat higher velocity/accuracy and it's not like you have to conceal it. I thought every inch of barrel usually adds around 100 FPS, but that might not be correct.

I also think the longer barrel looks a lot nicer.

Joe Register
07-01-2008, 9:32 PM
I like the regular barrel as it isn't so nose heavy and is easier to plink with for extended periods. The weight of the bull barrel does make it a bit easier to hold steady for precision. The trigger on my govt. is way better than my standard.

CHS
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I've got a Mark II Government Competition model.

It's fantastic! Sometimes it's a little boring to shoot with, because it's so hard to miss your target with it :)

It's big, it's heavy, but it has a great balance and feel. It's stupid accurate, the trigger is smooth and crisp and real light.

If you're considering a Mark II, go for broke and nice a nice one with a longer/heavier barrel. Try for the gov. competition if you can.

If you're just considering a gun for plinking, save some money and get a little guy like the mosquito or walther P22. I'm actually looking at getting a mosquito next for a fun plinker and some extra challenge while shooting.

Moonclip
07-02-2008, 1:10 AM
I'd go bull unless you will be carrying it a lot. I'd look for a older MKII but thats just me, no thanks to mag disconnets or integral locks. I like the look of the bull MKIII with the barrel flutes though.

In have a MKII stainless with a 5 1/2 bull which is serviceable. I didn't like a 4" bull stainless 22/45 I had. I like a 6 7/8" 22/45 blued slab side barrel I have a lot. I'd like to try a 6" MK with the skinny barrel and adj sights, I have a MKI like that I may give away to a friend. As well as a 4" MKI circa 1957 I may keep.