PDA

View Full Version : Why is minimum legal bbl length 18" for a shotgun but 16" for rifles?

1022rimfire
07-01-2008, 7:11 PM
Just curious what logic was used to determine the difference in minimum barrel lengths between shotguns and rifles?

On the converse, why isn't 18" the minimum barrel length for rifles?

Guntech
07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
This is just my speculation-
The shorter you make a shotgun barrel the wider the pattern like a street sweeper(you could take out quite a few people with not so many rounds)
shortening the barrel also causes a loss of accuracy and a reduction in velocity of the shot.

M. Sage
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Random.

CHS
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
As far as I'm concerned, as long as handguns are legal, there is NO logical reason why rifles and shotguns can't have short barrels.

The laws make no sense. You can have as long a barrel as you want on a pistol, BUT JMB-FORBID YOU HAVE A STOCK!

You can have as big or as short a stock as you want on a rifle, BUT JMB-FORBID YOU HAVE A SHORT BARREL!

And the WORST part is that you can legally convert a pistol into a rifle, and back (following the 16" minimum barrel rule), but you can NEVER legally convert a rifle into a pistol.

None of these laws make any kind of sense whatsoever. And the tragic part is that violation of these laws are all terrible felonies.

Knight
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Because shotguns are scaaaaaary

Josh3239
07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Because shotguns are scaaaaaary

The shotgun definetly has made a unique reputation for itself.

:laugh: To quote the Gun Control Dictionary, the shotgun sounds a teensy bit more evil:

Rifle – A type of two-handed gun with a long Barrel firing generally more powerful Ammunition than a Handgun, and capable of greater Accuracy when shooting Police officers.

Shotgun – A gun with no Rifling that fires clouds of multiple deadly projectiles, each of which can independently seek out and hit innocent bystanders.

alex00
07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Rifle – A type of two-handed gun with a long Barrel firing generally more powerful Ammunition than a Handgun, and capable of greater Accuracy when shooting Police officers.

Shotgun – A gun with no Rifling that fires clouds of multiple deadly projectiles, each of which can independently seek out and hit innocent bystanders.

Now I'm really confused. I thought it was the evil features, like a pistol grip, that made the rifle deadly? This makes it sound like my Mini-14 is just as deadly as my AR-15.

ojisan
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
The laws on barrel length go back to the gangster days when a sawed off shotgun was the weapon of choice (unless you had a Tommy). So the longer barrel length law was written to make sawed off shotguns harder to conceal.
The feds were fighting the gangsters, so that is why the penalties are so high. It was hard to pin anything on the gangsters so felony penalties for gun law violations were a way to penalize them if caught with something like this.

Blwnbwtie
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
The laws on barrel length go back to the gangster days when a sawed off shotgun was the weapon of choice (unless you had a Tommy). So the longer barrel length law was written to make sawed off shotguns harder to conceal.
The feds were fighting the gangsters, so that is why the penalties are so high. It was hard to pin anything on the gangsters so felony penalties for gun law violations were a way to penalize them if caught with something like this.

so yet again we have to suffer for all of the criminals actions, even though we are the only ones to obey the laws. horray california!

CHS
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
so yet again we have to suffer for all of the criminals actions, even though we are the only ones to obey the laws. horray california!

It's a Federal thing, actually.

jimbo1747
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
It's a Federal thing, actually.

Exactly. The good old National Firearms Act of 1934. Why it's 18" for shotguns vs. 16" for rifles, I do not know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

natedogg1777
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Just curious what logic was used to determine the difference in minimum barrel lengths between shotguns and rifles?

I think you are in error in presupposing that there is "logic" behind gun control laws in the first place:D The same reason 50BMG rifles can't be purchased here anymore, the same reason bayonet lugs were once illegal...stupid people like DiFi and her predecessors who think that more laws are going to stop criminals from committing crimes!

That wasn't the answer you were looking for, was it?

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 5:15 PM
The way it was explained to me was that originally, it was 18" for both rifles and shotguns.
At some point, the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship (CMP today) had a bunch of M1 carbines that they wanted to offer for sale, but the barrels were only 16" long.
The DCM (then a true govt agency) asked the treasury department to modify the barrel length for rifles so that the M1 carbines could be sold to civilians.
The treasury department said yes and the regulations were modified to 16" for rifle barrels.

Fjold
07-04-2008, 6:53 PM
Now I'm really confused. I thought it was the evil features, like a pistol grip, that made the rifle deadly? This makes it sound like my Mini-14 is just as deadly as my AR-15.

Nope, pistol grips just allow you to spray bullets from the hip without reloading.

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 6:57 PM
Nope, pistol grips just allow you to spray bullets from the hip without reloading.

I thought it was large capacity mags that made you spray bullets from the hip without reloading.
If you only have 10 rounds, you have to reload more often when you spray bullets from the hip.

Rob454
07-04-2008, 9:31 PM
As far as I'm concerned, as long as handguns are legal, there is NO logical reason why rifles and shotguns can't have short barrels.

Because most rifles have a more powerful ammo load than a pistol? I mean imagine a 30-06 or 308 pistol. I dont know why its illegal but there has to be either a logical or Illogical reason for it. just a question of which one

p7m8jg
07-04-2008, 9:37 PM

Logic? You ask, "what logic?" This was done by the Kalifornia legislature, no? Logic went out the window with common sense a looooong time ago......:43:

Fjold
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Logic? You ask, "what logic?" This was done by the Kalifornia legislature, no? Logic went out the window with common sense a looooong time ago......:43:

It's federal, not state.

ar15barrels
07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
This was done by the Kalifornia legislature, no?

No.

AJAX22
07-04-2008, 10:46 PM
SBS and SBR regulaiton under the 1934 NFA resulted from an attempt to both ban handguns and ban the creation of handguns from rifles and shotguns.

The NFA was modified to remove the section which taxed/regulated handgun ownership, but the section about SBS/SBR's was left in.

At least thats what I heard

76231b
07-04-2008, 10:57 PM
The way it was explained to me was that originally, it was 18" for both rifles and shotguns.
At some point, the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship (CMP today) had a bunch of M1 carbines that they wanted to offer for sale, but the barrels were only 16" long.
The DCM (then a true govt agency) asked the treasury department to modify the barrel length for rifles so that the M1 carbines could be sold to civilians.
The treasury department said yes and the regulations were modified to 16" for rifle barrels.

Aren't M1 carbine barrels 18" though?

Mssr. Eleganté
07-05-2008, 2:36 AM

This is the exact same story that I read, but maybe ar15barrels and I read it off of the same web site. :D

As to the M1 Carbine having an 18 inch barrel, the story goes that the DCM had bunches of Carbines with barrels that had been shortened for some reason.

randy
07-05-2008, 5:43 AM
It doesn't matter why it is what it is.

ar15barrels
07-05-2008, 9:11 AM
This is the exact same story that I read, but maybe ar15barrels and I read it off of the same web site. :D

I heard the story before Al Gore invented the internet.

Mute
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Because in the eyes of idiots, +18" you're just a humble hunter, but -18" is EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!