PDA

View Full Version : Glandular SABOT slugs, and steel shot and the mossberg 590

Gland
07-01-2008, 5:38 PM
i've a few questions...
1. what happens if you try to fire a sabot slug using a smoothbore shotgun? for example, a sabot slug designed for a rifled barrel shotgun, fired out of the mossberg 590 instead
2. can you fire steel shot with the mossberg 590??

thanks

M. Sage
07-01-2008, 5:50 PM
1: They won't fly as straight... But they'll leave the barrel.

2: Does the 590 even have a choke? Steel is probably Ok in a 590, but why would you? Plan on hunting waterfowl with one....?

3: I moved this to the shotgun forum, since 2A wasn't the right place for it.

G17GUY
07-01-2008, 5:53 PM
No spin on the projectile usually means inaccuracy and flipping end over end through the air.

"Can I shoot steel shot through all barrels ?
No, not all barrels. Barrels with an interchangeable Accu-Choke™ or Accu-Mag™ choke tube system, yes (with proper tubes installed.) However, steel shot is not recommended for older "C-Lect Choke®" or fixed-choke barrels. "

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:5QZ-bZtwFL0J:www.mossberg.com/content.asp%3FID%3D508%26section%3Dresources+mossb erg+590+steel+shot&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

CHS
07-01-2008, 6:06 PM
You can fire steel out of any shotgun, rifled or smooth, with less than a full choke.

There are some steel loads that advertise being acceptable out of a full choke, so those would be ok. But unless they are actually advertised as being acceptable, go with something less restrictive than a full.

I don't think the 590 is choked at all, or if it is, probably a modified machined into the barrel. Steel would be just fine out of this.

As to sabot'ed slugs, yeah what the other guy said. If you have them, they'll work just fine. If you are contemplating buying them, don't waste your money unless you have a rifled barrel.

Gland
07-01-2008, 9:28 PM
1. is lead shot illegal in CA?
2. can you use sabot slugs in a smoothbore shotgun in a home defensive scenario?

M. Sage
07-01-2008, 9:34 PM
is lead shot illegal in CA?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Depends on what you're using it for. Hunting waterfowl is illegal with lead shot, and has been for years. Hunting in Condor range is now illegal with lead. Target shooting (in most areas) is legal with lead shot. It seems to vary somewhat from range to range, with most ranges right on the water being "no-lead only".

2: Slugs aren't something I'd really advise in a HD scenario unless your neighbors are a long ways off. If you must use slugs for HD, stick with a standard-style slug, IMO. Buckshot in sizes #4 and up (not #4 birdshot, #4 buckshot. Important difference) are all excellent HD ammunition that will put a BG down hard and fast.

Moonclip
07-01-2008, 11:55 PM
You can fire steel out of any shotgun, rifled or smooth, with less than a full choke.

There are some older shotguns out there that should not be fired with steel shot. "Any" shotgun is too broad a statement. I have fired sabot slugs out of smoothbores at range out to about 15-25 yards with of accuracy.

Gland
07-02-2008, 4:35 AM
thanks