PDA

View Full Version : Buying a First Handgun, CA laws help!!

lmudave
07-01-2008, 2:01 PM
Well,

I'm looking to buy a CZ-75b 9mm handgun. I have owned many guns, all of which were in Texas so this would be my first California Handgun. Now I know I have to take the handgun safety test (no problem). The background check should be no problem as well. My main question is that I recently moved to the Bay area with my fiance. The bills are all in her name and my drivers license address still has my Los Angeles address. I've read that you can bring in a car registration that matches the address on your drivers license, does anyone know if this is true? Does it have to be recently issued? I believe I got mine renewed in February. Is there any other way that I can prove my residency? thanks!!

mblat
07-01-2008, 2:08 PM
car registrations always worked for me, but I have heard stories about some FFL not taking them ( even if law says - any governmental agency? )
just ask your FFL if he will take it as proof of residency.

Bacardi151
07-01-2008, 2:45 PM
As long as the registration is current it should be fine, even if 11 months old. However as noted above, talk to the FFL you plan on using to be sure.

Ironchef
07-01-2008, 2:45 PM
Explain to the FFL doing the transfer what he'll take. I think I used auto reg for my proof of residence once.

lmudave
07-01-2008, 2:50 PM
GREAT! thanks guys! really appreciate it!

Fjold
07-01-2008, 3:42 PM
Any current vehicle registration is fine. Your Driver's License is identification, (Fill out the on-line change of address form from the DMV and you can print it out and keep it with your license) your vehicle registration is proof of residency.

AraiGuma
07-01-2008, 4:04 PM
car registrations always worked for me, but I have heard stories about some FFL not taking them ( even if law says - any governmental agency? )
just ask your FFL if he will take it as proof of residency.

Probably the buyer was not an US citizen. Car registration is only good for US citizens, and foreigners must provide 3 months utility bills.

rayra
07-01-2008, 6:49 PM
CA DOJ Handgun Proof of Residency regs, right from the horse's mouth

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

PRint that out and take suitable proofs with you to your FFL of choice.

savs2k
07-01-2008, 6:55 PM
car reg has to match your liceanse i believe

barrykay
07-01-2008, 8:41 PM
[QUOTE=savs2k;1327142]car reg has to match your liceanse i believe[/QUO

Sorry, Not true

barrykay
07-01-2008, 8:47 PM
Any current vehicle registration is fine. Your Driver's License is identification, (Fill out the on-line change of address form from the DMV and you can print it out and keep it with your license) your vehicle registration is proof of residency.

In the OP's case this is not true UNLESS he lies on the 4473.

The OP states that BOTH his CDL AND Ca. registration have the SAME address and he no longer lives there. In that case it is either fraud or a lie on the 4473.

Once and for all lets get this straight. A POR DOES NOT have to match your CDL. What it does have to match is the address on the 4473. The address on the DROS has to be the same as the 4473 so that the POR matches both.
That's it.