PDA

View Full Version : Internet Ammo Sales

Coda
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Are there any CA laws regarding buying ammunition over the internet?

M. D. Van Norman
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
There may soon be.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=101928

Slayer
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Stock up while you still can.

SB2062 is going to make internet ammo purchases illegal. After the Heller decision, there's hope it wont pass.

mrkam
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep, and since shelf life is pretty good.... I second the stock up now vote... but still, probably nothing will happen quickly....

06-30-2008, 1:40 PM
Certain cities and possibly counties have ordinances against mail order ammo. You need to check your area to be sure but as for the state itself, not yet.

Gland
06-30-2008, 3:13 PM
1. what exactly is the shelf life of handgun ammunition?
2. how long can i store it before they become unsafe to use?
3. what happens when you try to fire old ammunition?

thanks.

762cavalier
06-30-2008, 4:05 PM
1. what exactly is the shelf life of handgun ammunition?
2. how long can i store it before they become unsafe to use?
3. what happens when you try to fire old ammunition?

thanks.
1. depends on storage conditions. Cool and dry is better.
2. I have been using some military surplus 8mm from the 40's and 50's and it works great
3. usually just hangfires or no fires.

Ironchef
06-30-2008, 4:12 PM
SB2062 is going to make internet ammo purchases require a permit.

I think this is what you meant to say.

leitung
06-30-2008, 4:36 PM
I just picked up a box of 7.62x54R off my doorstep from ammo to go.. no issues..
These are some nasty looking rounds, I can't wait to shoot them out of my friends mosin soon.

Bacardi151
06-30-2008, 5:03 PM
I think this is what you meant to say.

I don't see any exception relating to a permit, so I think your correction is incorrect.

"12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of
ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
transaction with the seller or transferor being provided bona fide
evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee. A
violation of this section is a misdemeanor."

OP:
I do not know of any restrictions and have purchased thousands of rounds from the internet.

Southbay
06-30-2008, 7:47 PM
I don't see any exception relating to a permit, so I think your correction is incorrect.

"12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of

OP:
I do not know of any restrictions and have purchased thousands of rounds from the internet.

Internet sales will not be illegal, they will need a permit, face to face is not required providing you give a bona fide evidence of identity, (copy of your Drivers license)

Its inconvenient but doable.

Hunter158
06-30-2008, 8:05 PM
Internet sales will not be illegal, they will need a permit, face to face is not required providing you give a bona fide evidence of identity, (copy of your Drivers license)

Its inconvenient but doable.

Where do you get Face-to-face is not required out of "may only occur in a face-to-face transaction"?

Unless I'm reading something wrong, or there is some other quotable section from elsewhere in the bill, I think we'll be stuck with face-to-face, IF it passes, or isn't challenged.

Southbay
06-30-2008, 8:12 PM
Where do you get Face-to-face is not required out of "may only occur in a face-to-face transaction"?

Unless I'm reading something wrong, or there is some other quotable section from elsewhere in the bill, I think we'll be stuck with face-to-face, IF it passes, or isn't challenged.

12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of

Face to face OR

N_S
06-30-2008, 8:20 PM
How do you get a permit to buy ammo online?

Librarian
06-30-2008, 8:46 PM
12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of

Face to face OR
I think you're parsing that incorrectly. Should go:

(a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of
ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur

in a face-to-face transaction

with the [ seller or transferor ] (that is, the person who has the ammo at the beginning of the transaction, whether it is a sale, gift, trade or whatever)

being provided bona fide evidence of identity

from the purchaser or other transferee.

Lissauer
06-30-2008, 8:53 PM
I wonder if this will be able to be circumvented with a C&R license.

Rule .308
06-30-2008, 9:11 PM

with the [ seller or transferor ] (that is, the person who has the ammo at the beginning of the transaction, whether it is a sale, gift, trade or whatever)

You've got that right, it not only means that it must be face to face but you must also provide some form of identification to the person providing the ammo.

Southbay
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM

So why did they put or in, (12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
violation of this section is a misdemeanor.) if they did not want to give us an alternative?

I realize that a face-to-face requires ID

Librarian
06-30-2008, 10:38 PM
So why did they put or in, (12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2009, the sale or other transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
violation of this section is a misdemeanor.) if they did not want to give us an alternative?

I realize that a face-to-face requires ID

De Leon doesn't want to give us an alternative.

The 'or' you are focusing on joins the two words 'seller' and 'transferor', and applies 'face to face transaction' to BOTH. It is not the case that 'face to face' applies only to 'seller', and that some other kind of transferor can accept 'evidence of identity' in some other manner, not face to face.

The current analysis of the bill (http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_2062&sess=CUR&house=A&search_type=bill_update) says the bill is supposed to
(12) provide that it is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6
months in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, or both, to transfer
handgun ammunition in anything other than a face-to-face
transaction with the transferor being provided with bona fide
evidence of the transferee's identity.

Southbay
06-30-2008, 10:46 PM
De Leon doesn't want to give us an alternative.

The 'or' you are focusing on joins the two words 'seller' and 'transferor', and applies 'face to face transaction' to BOTH. It is not the case that 'face to face' applies only to 'seller', and that some other kind of transferor can accept 'evidence of identity' in some other manner, not face to face.

I stand corrected. For some reason I read it incorrectly.

Coda
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
thanks for the help, does anyone know anything specifically about internet ammo sales to kern or yolo counties and their applicable cities?

and yes Mr. CA legislator, this ammo law will vastly reduce crime!

rayra
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I wonder if this will be able to be circumvented with a C&R license.

The whole point of the legislation is to be obstruct the act, so I doubt if that will happen. But considering how poorly the morons in sacramento craft even the most important of their disarmament efforts, it just well might.

To the original question, L.A. City (including all its consitituent named sub-regions) forbids mail-order ammo. But not reloading components, the last time I checked.
There are a few other municipalities that have done so, creating such a patchwork that some mail-order dealers have sworn off selling to CA altogether - which again is the intent of the legislation. Disarmament by other means.

domokun
07-01-2008, 1:45 AM
thanks for the help, does anyone know anything specifically about internet ammo sales to kern or yolo counties and their applicable cities?

and yes Mr. CA legislator, this ammo law will vastly reduce crime!

Lots of places won't ship to Yolo county if you're anywhere within Sacramento due to the city ordinance passed there. As far as I know, Kern county should be OK.

randy
07-01-2008, 3:18 AM
People are still shooting ammo from WWII I'd say it last a lifetime.

Slayer
07-01-2008, 8:08 AM
OP - Put it this way. STOCK UP NOW!! If AB2062 passes, you can bet your hat that ammo prices are going to skyrocket. The retailers who choose to continue to sell ammo (and put up with the headaches) are going to charge a premium.

fleegman
07-01-2008, 8:48 AM
UPS just delivered my latest shipment from AMMOBROS: 1000 rnds 9mm JHP, 1000 rnds 40s&w JHP, 1000 rnds XMAE223 SP, and 1000 rnds Wolf 7.62 mil-clsc JHP. This is in addition to what I already have stored up. Since the price of ammo mostly goes up, I consider it an investment, as well as a safeguard against future ammo restrictions. Gotta do it now.

corpsedub
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
UPS just delivered my latest shipment from AMMOBROS: 1000 rnds 9mm JHP, 1000 rnds 40s&w JHP, 1000 rnds XMAE223 SP, and 1000 rnds Wolf 7.62 mil-clsc JHP. This is in addition to what I already have stored up. Since the price of ammo mostly goes up, I consider it an investment, as well as a safeguard against future ammo restrictions. Gotta do it now.

im with you on that. i have been ordering a few cases every month and will continue to do so untill the bill either get's shot down or july 09.