PDA

View Full Version : Is Stoeger Cougar legal in CA?

Oldnoob
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I can't seem to fine Stoeger on CA roster. I know it's the same gun, make by same machine as Beretta Cougar, and Beretta no longer make Cougar. But on CA roster, there is still a Cougar under Beretta's name and no Stoeger anywhere I look. So is Stoeger Cougar legal in CA?

bwiese
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
No, you cannot buy a new Stoeger Cougar from a CA FFL. Beretta Cougars are Rostered, but ones from Stoeger are not. Simple as that.

If someone somehow had one (intrafamily transfer, LEO, inheritance, moved into CA with one) he could PPT it to you though.

[A separate question might be why you even want one.]

Oldnoob
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks. Sigh.... kalifornia...

1911su16b870
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
...A separate question might be why you even want one...

IIRC it is similar ops to the 92/96 and rostered 45ACP for LAPD and Sheriffs.

bruss01
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
[A separate question might be why you even want one.]

One aspect of collecting is to acquire an array of firearms that function in distinct or unique ways. The rotating barrel (as opposed to tip-up) makes the Cougar function in an intriguingly different way than most side-arms, which appeals to those of us with an interest in how a gun functions mechanically.

Also they are a good design, not un-handsome, and not too hard on the pocketbook. Someone who's into high-end 1911's or classic revolvers may not appreciate them, but they are "different" enough to be interesting to a lot of people.

Overkill
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
The beretta PX-4 uses a similar rotating barrel, ad they are readily available here (not too costly either)

dfletcher
06-30-2008, 1:44 PM
I can't seem to fine Stoeger on CA roster. I know it's the same gun, make by same machine as Beretta Cougar, and Beretta no longer make Cougar. But on CA roster, there is still a Cougar under Beretta's name and no Stoeger anywhere I look. So is Stoeger Cougar legal in CA?

Hmmmm.

Reliable. Safe. Less expensive. An exact copy of the Beretta.

Well, there's your answer ....:mad:

Moonclip
06-30-2008, 4:38 PM
If they were available in CA for low 3's like the 9's are in other states and chambered in .45acp or .357sig I'd buy one. I'm not the biggest fan of Turk guns but this 1 seems interesting.

Can anyone name the other guns operating on the rotating barrel lock principle? Mexican Obregon .45acp, the French MAN Pa-15 and I think the CZ27 and/or the 24 come to mind.

pTa
06-30-2008, 4:57 PM
the ex boyfriend had a bereta cougar. i thoiught it was different, but had no concept of the rotateing barrel

Quiet
06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
If they were available in CA for low 3's like the 9's are in other states and chambered in .45acp or .357sig I'd buy one. I'm not the biggest fan of Turk guns but this 1 seems interesting.
But, these Turk guns are made on the actual Beretta machinery/tooling that Beretta used when they made the Cougar.

Beretta owns Stoeger and shipped all the Cougar stuff to them.

Moonclip
07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
But, these Turk guns are made on the actual Beretta machinery/tooling that Beretta used when they made the Cougar.

Beretta owns Stoeger and shipped all the Cougar stuff to them.

One of the reasons I'd be more likely to own one. Also Taurus bought the original Beretta machinery to make 92 type 9mm pistols for the Brazilian military and people love to bash Taurus.

Just having the original machinery doesn't mean you get a quality product. I never understood people buying the Turkish clone of the CZ75 for a price higher than an original CZ75.

cluznar
04-29-2012, 9:14 AM
I know this is an old thread but I own a Stoeger Cougar 9mm and I feel sorry for you Californians who can't buy one. It is one very nice gun. Low recoil, accurate, dependable.

Get your laws changed! :cool2: