PDA

View Full Version : 44mg Desert Eagle

LMS
06-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I just ordered a 44mg desert eagle today from a dealer. We tried to get it in brushed/polished chrome but it seemed that it wasn't possible in CA. At least in Orange County. So, I ordered it in black oxide. I know I can get a conversion kit so i can have a 50ae eagle but what can I do about the finish??? :confused:

Saigon1965
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
If you want it that bad, refinish her.

LMS
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, i know to go to Robar to refinish a glock. Do u kno any place that's really reliable and does high quality work on such firearms as a D.E.???

Saigon1965
06-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Tripp Research was doing hard chrome, but no longer.

Here are some link for you to check out.

http://www.fordsguns.com/ - These guys look good.

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/

http://www.apwcogan.com/

http://www.techplate.com/

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/

LMS
06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you Saigon. I b sure to check em out:D

daves100
06-29-2008, 11:17 PM
What was the price? that is going to be my next safe queen

CHS
06-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Spend a whole lot of money and have it refinished. Done.

Saigon1965
06-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Thank you Saigon. I b sure to check em out:D

I do expect some pics of the hand cannon.

LMS
06-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Well i just found a couple websites that claim to have em available in all diff types of chrome finishes. Price?? I had payed 14 hundo and change. Chrome finishes are listing at 15 hundo and change. So might as well just buy the gun the way i want it. And Saigon, 4 sho I will send ya a pic. First I gotta change my order and then wait bout 30 days. :cool:

LMS
06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Unless it's just plain not allowed to be purchased in CA. Then i will have to get it refinished. Either way, pics will be posted.

domokun
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Just a thought, can't you send the gun back to Magnum Research and have them refinish it in the finish you want for a price? Regardless, if you want the look and must buy the gun now, just have the gun refinished like everyone has said.

bug_eyedmonster
06-30-2008, 1:16 AM
In california, you can legally only order one specific model of the Desert Eagle as a new gun. That is the black oxide .44 magnum, anything else will have to be purcahsed from a private party. I just got one as well, and I was thinking of sending it to Ionbond, but I'm not sure... I'll be doing more research soon about this.

Jerry

Adonlude
06-30-2008, 3:15 PM
When I did my research on this issue I remember reading that to get another finish you can send it back to the manufacturer. Probably not cheap.

ohsmily
06-30-2008, 4:10 PM
Well i just found a couple websites that claim to have em available in all diff types of chrome finishes. Price?? I had payed 14 hundo and change. Chrome finishes are listing at 15 hundo and change. So might as well just buy the gun the way i want it. And Saigon, 4 sho I will send ya a pic. First I gotta change my order and then wait bout 30 days. :cool:

Uh, no. Only the 44 mag MK XIX in the oxide finish is available for new purchase from a dealer in CA. You are forced to buy that unless you can find another CA resident who is willing to sell you their chrome or nickel one.

Is this your first handgun? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend getting something else.

5150Marcelo
06-30-2008, 4:15 PM
Keep it stock.
Once you go black, you wont go back!:eek:

vorpar
06-30-2008, 7:46 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a price break on a new black oxide DE that is equivalent to the price of refinishing. About $300 if you send it to MRI.

Just checked the website: Black oxide - $1440, Chrome - $1730

5150Marcelo
06-30-2008, 7:47 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a price break on a new black oxide DE that is equivalent to the price of refinishing. About $300 if you send it to MRI.

Just checked the website: Black oxide - $1440, Chrome - $1730

So youd just pay the diff?

PonyFiveO
06-30-2008, 9:29 PM
You should just send it back to the factory. They will ensure/guarantee the gun still works propery after the refinishing and your warranty will not get voided.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=CF-DEP

LMS
06-30-2008, 9:43 PM
No dis is not my first gun. I've had a glock 22, hi point 380, 38 snub, and some bootleg a** 9mm. I've just picked up my first gun in CA. First of my new collection, HK usp 40. About da Eagle, Mag Res says, 90-120 days for refinishing. Probly end up doin it that way. While waiting for 30days to pass, im gon pick up a consignment Glock31 and send that to Robar. Probly pick up a shotty too. I don't kno much bout em. I want a Serbu super shorty but i think that's illegal in CA. I like the "contemporary" guns, sort a speak. Recommendations???

ohsmily
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
No dis is not my first gun. I've had a glock 22, hi point 380, 38 snub, and some bootleg a** 9mm. I've just picked up my first gun in CA. First of my new collection, HK usp 40. About da Eagle, Mag Res says, 90-120 days for refinishing. Probly end up doin it that way. While waiting for 30days to pass, im gon pick up a consignment Glock31 and send that to Robar. Probly pick up a shotty too. I don't kno much bout em. I want a Serbu super shorty but i think that's illegal in CA. I like the "contemporary" guns, sort a speak. Recommendations???

Yes. English.

sjpd
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
:rofl2:

Slayer
07-01-2008, 8:10 AM

Dude, stop.

bug_eyedmonster
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
You should just send it back to the factory. They will ensure/guarantee the gun still works propery after the refinishing and your warranty will not get voided.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=CF-DEP

Does anyone know the difference between the polished chrome and the polished nickel? Is one stronger/better then the other?

Jerry

IceMan711
07-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Every now and then I see a post that is so awesome, I think to myself, "There is no way this guy is for real."

I'm really undecided here. Either way, this is probably one fo the best posts I have ever read on the entire internet.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Every now and then I see a post that is so awesome, I think to myself, "There is no way this guy is for real."

I'm really undecided here. Either way, this is probably one fo the best posts I have ever read on the entire internet.

Seems like two different people. In another post the OP seemed to do a lot better. Looks like the OP switched to ebonics mid thread.

JTROKS
07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hard chrome is better in protecting your gun from corrosion and wear.

DIG
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I just ordered a 44mg desert eagle today from a dealer. We tried to get it in brushed/polished chrome but it seemed that it wasn't possible in CA. At least in Orange County. So, I ordered it in black oxide. I know I can get a conversion kit so i can have a 50ae eagle but what can I do about the finish??? :confused:

Contact Magnum Research and arrange to send it to them for refinishing. IIRC, turn-around time on mine was about 5 weeks and about $275 for brushed chrome. They also include refinishing one magazine as well.

-

DIG
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know the difference between the polished chrome and the polished nickel? Is one stronger/better then the other?

Jerry

I personally think the polished nickel is more "mirror-like" than the polished chrome. Both are too "blingy" for me though. Don't know about stronger/better finish. If it's properly maintained, you don't need to worry.

-

JTROKS
07-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Most electroless nickle plating has a hardness of RC50, while hard chrome is tested at RC65 to 68. Only drawback with hard chroming will be on cast metals becoming brittle if the company doing it doesn't know what they're doing. I had a cast receiver that I sent to get hard chromed, the company said they have done many guns. Well, the friggin frame cracked. I'd say let Magnum Research do it or someone like Tech Plate or Metaloy do it. I've had Tech Plate do one of my raceguns, although they did a superb job they did not see a flaw in the brush finish, but ended up showing really bad after hard chroming.

tonelar
07-01-2008, 1:27 PM
Unless it's just plain not allowed to be purchased in CA.
You can order it in any color you like; as long as it's black.

I'd sent it to MR to have them refinish it. DEs are worth enough IMHO to avoid a refinish that could compromise its strength.