PDA

View Full Version : COLT 2000

goathead
06-29-2008, 7:17 PM
about 10 years ago i bought a COLT 2000. I lived in texas, station at fort hood i think i paid about 500.00 for it. IT jamed every two rounds i took it back , and the gun store, load behind the counter they tryed to cycle it. IT jamed up on them too, they gave me another one, it did the same. does anyone know anything about these guns are worth trying buy one again. I always like the way they looked and felt. I know they are hard to find for PPT?

Pred@tor
06-29-2008, 7:30 PM
Wow they look Rare... I dunno if they are collectors but I have never ever seen one before. Since you mentioned it I looked it up it on wiki it says it was produced two years 92 to 94. Interesting gun...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_2000

Saigon1965
06-29-2008, 7:34 PM
It's simply because of out 10 round magazine limit.

tunder
06-29-2008, 9:42 PM
Description from here-
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg170-e.htm

The All American 2000 pistol was designed by the Reed Knight, Jr. and Eugene Stoner (of M16 fame), at the time both working at Knight's Armament Co. The design of the Knight's Model 2000 pistol has been purchased by Colt in attempt to bring to the market a more or less up-to-date 9mm design, suitable for police use. However, the pistol, as brought to the market in 1991, was plagued by serious reliability and safety issues, combined with very heavy and creepy double action only trigger. Two types of Model 2000 pistol were made, with polymer or aluminium frames, and neither sold well. As a result of poor sales, and in the view of coming bankruptcy, Colt discontinued the All American 2000 in 1993, so the initially advertised .40 and .45 caliber versions never came up.

All American 2000 is short recoil operated, locked breech design that uses rotating barrel locking. Barrel have five radial locking lugs that securely engage the slide; upon recoil, a separate lug on the underside of the barrel follows the cam-shaped cut in the frame insert, and thus rotates barrel to unlock from the slide. Trigger is of double action only type, striker-fired, with automatic trigger safety. Despite the obvious attempts to improve the trigger pull by introducing roller bearings to the design, this pistol had a very poor (heavy, long and uneven) trigger pull, resulting in poor accuracy. Magazines were of double stack design, magazine release button located at the base of triggerguard. Sights were fixed, rear sight blade dovetailed to the slide.

I vaguely remember shooting one of these when they first came out. I must not have been impressed since I didn't buy it.

ivanimal
06-29-2008, 9:47 PM
These were supposed to be the new police offering from Colt and turn the company around. It never took off and because of the unique action it functioned less than admirably. I had one in DROS last month that was pulled by the original seller. He had second thoughts and I honored his intentions.

PS this was the predecessor to the automags, this is where the idea was born.

gunrun45
06-30-2008, 8:06 AM
Pretty neat little guns desinged by a noted gun guru we all know and love.
To bad it didn't work out well. I rememebr we had one in "Police Use Inventroy" that we took out and played with a few times. Jammed like crazy. Initial ones had a nice trigger but were deemed "not safe" by Colt lawyers so later productions smaple had ungodly heavy triggers.
It pointed and shot very well though when they do cycle properly.

Moonclip
06-30-2008, 4:35 PM
They have a bad rep especially for poor trigger pulls. IIRC Colt deviated too much from the original Reed Knight design. They look comfortable and ergonomic but I'd only buy one at a very low price for a collectible.

I rarely see them.

rue
06-30-2008, 8:56 PM
I you want one I know an FFL with one in their consignment case, pm me.

Guntech
06-30-2008, 9:21 PM
Ah yes the colt 2000 I remember my cousin having one of those when we went shooting 3 years ago. He bought it in 2000 for $1000 at a gun show in Nevada, but it was basically NIB, never fired

Nra-Life-Member
07-01-2008, 7:56 AM
There were 2 variations of the Colt 2000. Once had a polymer frame, one was a light weight aluminum - which had wood grips.

There was also a shorted slide add-on available.. Not sure how many (if any) were offered.. But I heard about them - when I had purchased my 2000..

They are becoming collectors items, as most items from Colt. The less that sold, the better from a collectors standpoint.

I had one - it functioned 100%. Never liked the trigger, but the concept was like the M16 with the barrel that rotated - if I am not mistaken.