PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Rimfire Target (1911) problem

Angie
06-29-2008, 3:25 PM
Hello, I'm a newbie here, love the site.

Anyway, I got a Kimber .22 1911-style pistol last July. When I first fired it, I had some FTE/FTF issues. At first I thought it was a "new gun" quirk and had to be broken in, but I've fed a few hundred rounds through it and it's still not working...

I also thought it might be a magazine issue, but the magazines I got are all from Kimber, and I still have some issues even with the original magazine.

Has anyone had this problem? Or solutions/advice?

Olav
06-29-2008, 3:48 PM
Welcome!

I have one and it works great for me once I found the right ammo.

What ammo are you using?

Kruzr
06-29-2008, 3:54 PM
Go out and buy some Stingers and see if it runs with those. You can then work your way through high velocity ammo to see which one cycles the gun. You also have to make sure the gun is very well lubricated in the rails and tracks.

Angie
06-29-2008, 5:12 PM
Welcome!

I have one and it works great for me once I found the right ammo.

What ammo are you using?

I have used mostly Federal and Remington, bulk box ammo.

Olav
06-29-2008, 5:38 PM
I'm using Federal in my Kimber and it's been running smoothly with that.

I found lubrication to be very important with this pistol.

From the manual:

Lubricate the following internal parts of the
pistol:
a. Slide and Frame rails - Oil. Do not over oil!
b. Disconnector on top of frame - Small drop.
c. Barrel Hood - two drops, spread on hood.
d. Slide Stop pin - one drop, spread with
finger.
e. Outside of Barrel - Oil. Do not over oil,
spread with fingertip.

h. Cock Hammer - one drop in between the
hammer and frame.
i. Assemble gun. Rack the Slide 5-6 times,
dry fire, wipe off excess oil from gun.

I usually follow these steps and have gotten good results.

Also, when I shoot it I make sure that my left hand thumbs doesn't touch the slide as that can interfere with the operation of the pistol if you shoot right handed.

Hope this helps.

bigchelis
06-29-2008, 8:48 PM
Hello, I'm a newbie here, love the site.

Anyway, I got a Kimber .22 1911-style pistol last July. When I first fired it, I had some FTE/FTF issues. At first I thought it was a "new gun" quirk and had to be broken in, but I've fed a few hundred rounds through it and it's still not working...

I also thought it might be a magazine issue, but the magazines I got are all from Kimber, and I still have some issues even with the original magazine.

Has anyone had this problem? Or solutions/advice?

Don't bother doing anything yourself, call Kimber and have them send you a shipping slip. They will make it perfect. Why waste time and time trying to do it yourself. Granted, you could possibly fix it yourself with the online knowledge you will gain and a couple dollars, but why if Kimber will do it for FREE.

Plus, it is a .22 it is not like your life depends on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

U2BassAce
06-29-2008, 9:01 PM
Go out and buy some Stingers and see if it runs with those. You can then work your way through high velocity ammo to see which one cycles the gun. You also have to make sure the gun is very well lubricated in the rails and tracks.

If I use high velocity ammo in mine it works 100% as stated in owners manual. If I use bulk pack stuff I have problems. For what I use it for I deal with problems. Far cheaper $$$$$ "main purpose of purchase...cheap practice" and give you some practice with clearing drills too.

uscbigdawg
06-30-2008, 7:51 AM
Angie. Generally, you'll get mixed results with crap ammo (the bulk packs, while generally okay are crap). Try some CCI Mini Mags or Federal Automatch (I think that's the name).

Other than just keep it clean and lubed and you'll be good.

Rich

KimberDriven
06-30-2008, 8:17 AM
Do you have an aftermarket magwell? My Kimber rimfire kit magazine would not fit my magwell. I called Kimber and they offered to fix the mag or I could do it myself, but me and a dremel = disaster!! I sent it to them and now it works great! I use Federal bulk packs and I haven't had many issues.