PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito - yes or no?

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 2:33 PM
When my 30 days is up, I'm considering the purchase of my first .22 for use as a cost effective practice tool and fun plinker. I currently only have a .45.

I have some questions if you gentlemen will indulge me:

1. Not having seen one of these - are they almost the same size as a P226 or P229? I'm familiar with those.

2. Is the trigger feel of similar quality to other Sigs?

3. I've heard mixed things about their reliability. Is this still an issue?

4. How much are these things going for in CA? I don't want to buy a used one - any recommendations on where to go in the LA area?

Many thanks in advance.

Suvorov
06-29-2008, 2:43 PM
Do you have a Sig 220 or a 1911 type .45? If the latter, then I would STONGLY suggest a .22LR conversion instead of a Mosquito!

I have owned a Sig Mosquito for almost a year, I also own a P228 and P220 so will try to answer your questions.
1. No, the Sig Mosquito is 90% the size of a P226 (although it seems to me more a copy of the 228).
2. No, the Sig Mosquito trigger is FAR less smooth and FAR heavier than a full sized Sigs DA and SA trigger.
3. Reliability is decent with the proper spring/ammo combination. It's a rimfire, so you won't ever see the reliability potential of a centerfire.
4. Sig has reduced their price on the Mosquito considerably since it was introduced. You should be able to pick one up new for about $350.

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 2:50 PM
Thanks very much for your response, Suvorov.

I don't own a Sig at all yet. My sole handgun is a Heckler & Koch HK45. It's very similar in a lot of ways to a 1911, but no .22 kit is available. I wish that wasn't the case.

How hard is your Mosquito to field strip and clean? That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards it rather than a Ruger or Buckmark.

All things considered, would you buy it again?

mvpatriot
06-29-2008, 2:56 PM
I like mine. Very easy to strip and shoots decent groups.Find a used one and you'll be happy.

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 3:09 PM
How much does a used one go for? Are they readily available? I'm just wondering, given the relatively low purchase price for a new one, whether it's worth even trying to find a used one or if the warranty alone is worth it.

duenor
06-29-2008, 3:24 PM
The mosquito is EXCELLENT if what you want is a .22lr to practice defensive handgun usage with. My carry guns are SIGs, and the mosquito is almost exactly the same (with the exception fo the safety, which I simply ignore). there are a few other little differences, but the essential things are there.

if you have a p225/p6 for defensive use, the mosquito is an excellent practice weapon.

HOWEVER
if what you want is a 22lr plinker that will plink all day and give excellent groups, this isn't it. the mosquito is a training tool, not a plinking tool. for the latter i would go with the ruger mark ii.

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 3:31 PM
The mosquito is EXCELLENT if what you want is a .22lr to practice defensive handgun usage with.

HOWEVER
if what you want is a 22lr plinker that will plink all day and give excellent groups, this isn't it. the mosquito is a training tool, not a plinking tool. for the latter i would go with the ruger mark ii.

Can you clarify, Duenor? I'm not looking for something with olympic grade accuracy, but I expect it to hit where I am it (or at least close) at normal engagement ranges (say 7-15 yards). Will it do that? Is the trigger reasonably decent such that using it will yield benefits to my trigger control on my .45?

I don't go to a range that allows drawing from a holster, so if by practicing defensive handgun usage you mean practicing firing from a draw... maybe I'll be better with something else?

gd-bh
06-29-2008, 4:57 PM
We have a recently acquired mosquito. We bought it at the ontario gun show, and it was from an out of state dealer, went for 289 + all the other fees, but was still less than what I've seen them go for at local dealers when you compare otd prices.

We've now put about 500 rounds through it, and while it hasn't been perfect, we shot about 200 rounds this past weekend, and the only problem we had was the last round seems to self eject about 1 out of 6 times. I've used only CCI mini mag ammo, and some 30+ year old federal stuff I have (as an experiment...that stuff feels hotter than the cci mini mags)

My wife had shot my brothers P22 and buckmark. She liked the P22, but kept accidentally hitting the mag release, and it seemed to have at least as many issues as I've seen out of the skeeter. She thought the buckmark was too heavy, although I liked that one best, and we had zero problems while shooting it. She likes the skeeter because it's virtually the same size as the G19 that is her current HD weapon.

I can't get her to shoot at paper, so I can't tell you how accurate it is, but she can hit any of the metal targets she shoots at. At the range we shoot at, they have quite a few of these, ranging from about 10 yards out to about 50. I can hit any of the larger targets at the longest distance 95% of the time, and the smaller ones probably 60%, but I blame that more on me than the gun. I find the trigger very heavy (she can't squeeze it hard enough to make the DA operate), but she's happy, and I bought it for her.

Now, for me, I'm gonna be jumping on the buckmark train as soon as I either find a lightly used, well loved one for sale at a good price, or get out of the 1 in 30 dark window that the idiots in kalifornia seem to think I need to be safe. I like the feel of a heavier handgun (and I don't think the buckmark is at all "heavy"), and the buckmarks have a very good reputation for eating any brand of ammo.

Bottom line, I think there are better choices than the skeeter, but if you are going to get a sig down the road, there are certainly plusses. And in my case anyway, the skeeter fit our needs, and I'm not unhappy with our purchase. And the fact that I now have to buy another gun for me, well, that's just icing on the cake..;)

TonyM
06-29-2008, 5:07 PM
She thought the buckmark was too heavy, although I liked that one best, and we had zero problems while shooting it. She likes the skeeter because it's virtually the same size as the G19 that is her current HD weapon.

I can't get her to shoot at paper, so I can't tell you how accurate it is, but she can hit any of the metal targets she shoots at. At the range we shoot at, they have quite a few of these, ranging from about 10 yards out to about 50. I can hit any of the larger targets at the longest distance 95% of the time, and the smaller ones probably 60%, but I blame that more on me than the gun. I find the trigger very heavy (she can't squeeze it hard enough to make the DA operate), but she's happy, and I bought it for her.

Buckmark heavy?

There's a fix to that. :)

This wasn't really cheap however...... But I love the Buckmark, as you said.. it eats anything!

Here's a pic, but it now has the correct, non-trijicon mount for the Docter Optic. I removed over 10 ounces from my stock Buckmark camper, and that's including adding an optic, just as seen below.

http://www.picturesbytony.com/temp/BuckMark.jpg

Greg-Dawg
06-29-2008, 5:57 PM
No.

Spdjunkie
06-29-2008, 6:07 PM
No. +1 Agree

Sig Mis-FEED-Dont

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 6:08 PM
I forgot about the Walther P22. I've heard horror stories about how they're built on the same line as airsoft guns. That doesn't inspire confidence. Granted, we're not talking about .500 S&Ws here, but I don't really like anything with gunpowder going off inside a toy.

So as between the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito, which is the way to go?

Exactly how hard is the Buckmark to clean? What about a Ruger? I really want something I can field strip like an HK or Sig. I know the Walther takes down relatively easily and is relatively cheap. If the thing is too expensive, it's really hard for me to justify over an HK P2000 in 9mm.

Thanks again, all.

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 6:45 PM
nYHJm2P4kP0

Ok, that Ruger looks like a NIGHTMARE to clean. Is this guy obtuse, or is it REALLY that complicated? I do not have an engineering degree and have absolutely no patience for things that won't go back together easily. If the darned thing field stripped like the Mosquito, I'd buy a Ruger 22/45 and be done with this.

Help me, Calgunners. What do I buy?

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 6:58 PM
Ok, so this makes sense:

UVvIMAk64LM

But it STILL looks like a GIANT pain in the butt. How often do you need to clean a rimfire? I've never fired one - and I don't even really understand how a rimfire cartridge fires. I understand centerfire firearms, but not rimfire.

How do you even clean one? Will a rod you put brushes/patches on even fit down a .22lr barrel? Do they make .22lr brass brushes? I'd guess cleaning is the same as on a centerfire?

I'm sure I sound like an idiot, but please indulge a newbie.

kperry
06-29-2008, 7:15 PM
I've got a P22T, and we've put about 1500 rounds through it. Quality's OK - especially once you do the fixes detailed in "the P22 Bible". Reliability's been as good as I'd expect out of a .22, but takedown for cleaning is a bit of a drag on the T model, because you need to remove the front weight to pull off the slide. It definitely favors the higher-powered .22LR - I've been using Remington Golden Bullet - less than $20 for a 500-box from Wal-Mart. I would have rather bought a Mark II or Buckmark - but primarily bought it for my 12-year-old daughter to learn to shoot, and the P22's a lot more friendly to her smaller paws. I recently bought three more mags for it.

Suvorov
06-29-2008, 7:16 PM
The Sig Mosquito is pretty easy to field strip and easier than it is to learn the to take down the Ruger Mk II. Accuracy wise, it is decent. A Buckmark or Ruger will shoot circles around it, but it will keep them all in the black at 25 yards if you do your part.

Corbin Dallas
06-29-2008, 7:56 PM
If you want a plinker that acts similar to every other auto, the sig mosquito is one of the best on the market.

I've had mine for a couple of years and has become a safe queen. However, when I used it, the weapon fired perfectly and I've had no problems. I use CCI mini mags only.

Oldnoob
06-29-2008, 8:24 PM
When my 30 days is up, I'm considering the purchase of my first .22 for use as a cost effective practice tool and fun plinker. I currently only have a .45.

I have some questions if you gentlemen will indulge me:

1. Not having seen one of these - are they almost the same size as a P226 or P229? I'm familiar with those.

2. Is the trigger feel of similar quality to other Sigs?

3. I've heard mixed things about their reliability. Is this still an issue?

4. How much are these things going for in CA? I don't want to buy a used one - any recommendations on where to go in the LA area?

Many thanks in advance.

1. I don't have to spec in front of me but from what I remember it's much smaller than 226.

2. The trigger don't feel anything like 226.

3. From the two I have try(one form range, one from a friend), they sucks. They don't like any value pack ammo. Mosquito like high power load, so if you end up getting one, buy expensive ammo.

4. The cheapest I have seem was around $300-350. I even saw one with $450 price tag on it.:eek:

Over all, I don't like it. It resemble nothing like a Sig. Get a Ruger make, Browning, Neo N22, s&w 22A and one of these will perform much better than mosquito.

tiko
06-29-2008, 8:30 PM
I have Sig Mosquito, Ruger MarkIII and Kimber 22LR 1911, Sig is fun but less accuracy than the others, the most realistic is Kimber 1911 22LR but will not lock open after last round, Ruger is very accurate but harder to clean.

ghostwong
06-29-2008, 8:42 PM
I have a Mosquito, and works fine. I found after a good cleaning and lube the gun runs great. I also have a Neos, love the gun except the sights stink to high heaven. I'm going to take it in to see if I can get something like a Heinie put onto it. I also have a Smith and Wesson 22A. This gun is rock solid. It shoots great and is fairly accurate. The only problem I have is that it has an extraction problem. It was a used gun. Turners in Pasadena has one new for about 340.00, bull barrel, 4 mags and a high vis sight on it. I paid 225.oo and got 1 mag and the gun was used.

sv_1
06-29-2008, 9:07 PM
I bought my mosquito at the vallejo gun show for $299. It took a few hundred rounds to break in, but runs flawlessly on CCI minmags. Accuracy isn't all that bad, the trigger is okay in sa, but not so good in da. Overall I really like it as a plinker.

aca72
06-29-2008, 9:36 PM
My vote: NO!

Sobriquet
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
So if NOT the Sig Mosquito, what? How many rounds do you guys fire in between cleanings on a Ruger Mark III? Is there anything comparable to it that's easier to break down?

How does the Browning Buckmark compare? Is it any easier to take apart?

CHS
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
So if NOT the Sig Mosquito, what? How many rounds do you guys fire in between cleanings on a Ruger Mark III? Is there anything comparable to it that's easier to break down?

I absolutely love my Mark II, but it is a bit of a pain to break down.

I clean it when it starts to jam, which means several hundred rounds. Usually at least a 550rd bulk box between cleanings. It's a pretty damn reliable gun. And stupid accurate (Government competition model).

Once you have "The Trick" down with the Mark II, it's not too bad.

Oldnoob
06-29-2008, 11:41 PM

Really consider Ruger Mark III(I like the target more so then regular but that's just me). You would learn how to take a part, It's not easy but once you break it down a few time it's not that hard. My buddy's Ruger mark II target don't need to clean after around 500rds(a value pack from wal mart). It accurate, reliable, and will last forever. I believe buckmark is easier to take apart but require tools. Also check out Beretta Neos. I own one and it's really nice. Make sure to get the 6 inches barrel, the 4 1/2 barrel is too light(at lease for me). The coolest thing is you can buy stuck barrel of different length and they are interchangeable.

Also, I hear there is an after market part for ruger mark III to replace that claw-hook thingy and make the take down much faster and easier. I hear it from some guy at the range, he told me the name for that part but I forgot. Anyone here knows what I'm talking about?:confused:

Sobriquet
06-30-2008, 5:30 AM
Can anyone comment on the Smith & Wesson 22A? I found a thread on HKPro where a guy was looking for a .22 to improve his .45 shooting (my situation, too). Someone mentioned a S&W 22A, it looks pretty nice, and the youtube field stripping looks much easier.

Is it any good? This gives me pause:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194217

corpsedub
06-30-2008, 6:44 AM
i have one(mosquito) and have put many rounds through it.

it's junk. it's that simple.

barrerl is fixed and slide comes of realy awkwardly

even with the low recoil spring, it does not like cheap ammo. lots of FTE FTF.

ergonomics are great.

trigger is awfull.

get something else.

Suvorov
06-30-2008, 7:42 AM

Back in the good old days, I would put about 500 rounds through my MK II each week (on a University Campus No Less). I would go weeks without cleaning it. Our units MK IIs also saw similar usage (we offered Pistol marksmanship as a PE elective). Reliability never really seemed to suffer until the pistol just got so caked up with gunk that you would start getting extraction failures.

Yes, the Ruger is a little tricky to break down, but it is far from impossible. Also, given my experience with it, you don't need to break it down all that often (which may make remembering how to do it hard). Really, ease of disassembling should not be a factor in preventing you from buying the Ruger.

I will NEVER sell my MKII and have ZERO regrets on purchasing it. The Mosquito on the other hand, its a decent gun, looks great and is cool, but if I could have all the money back I have spent on it, I would take the money. In short, if I was able to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the Mosquito.

Suvorov
06-30-2008, 7:44 AM
Can anyone comment on the Smith & Wesson 22A? I found a thread on HKPro where a guy was looking for a .22 to improve his .45 shooting (my situation, too). Someone mentioned a S&W 22A, it looks pretty nice, and the youtube field stripping looks much easier.

Is it any good? This gives me pause:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194217

No comment or experience with the S&W, but if you are looking for something to mimic a 1911, the Ruger 22/45 is the way to go (what I have). It has a polymer grip and magazine release that approximate a 1911. Short of getting a 1911 in .22LR, this is going to be the closest you can get to approximating a .45.

berkeleygiraffe
06-30-2008, 7:54 AM
since you already have a 45 why not get a cz and a kadet kit? would be more expensive but you'd have the option to shoot 9 and 22

Sobriquet
06-30-2008, 9:29 AM
since you already have a 45 why not get a cz and a kadet kit? would be more expensive but you'd have the option to shoot 9 and 22

Huh? lol

Edit: This thing? http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=34 ?

I'm not looking to spend $650 on a .22. If I were going to spend that kind of cash, I'd go buy another HK. Besides.. the idea of buying a Czech gun just doesn't sit well with me. I've grown fond of all my fingers. ;)

pTa
06-30-2008, 9:43 AM
CZs are great pistols. SIG Mosquitos are really nice 22, alot better than the Walter in size. My roomate has the Mosquito and its a good think as we both just bought P6s so there very similar in handling and controlls.

+1 follow breakin instructons for your Mosquito

Sobriquet
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Right now I think I'm going to try to find a Ruger Mark III 22/45 to feel. If it's comfortable, that's probably what I'll get.

Now if I can just figure out the 10,000,000 models they have.. lol.

duenor
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Okay, I have some time to do a better post.
Here's the truth of it all, you take it for what it is.

Pros:
1. same manual of arms as SIG P228, P220, P226/P6, etc. DA/SA, decocker, takedown lever, sights, rail, grip, overall size.
2. extremely easy to disassemble and maintain. diassembly essentially the same as the p22x series.
3. well built - the firearm will take a lot of use.
4. can mount laser, light, or scope.
5. multiple safeties (magazine disconnect, safety switch, DA)
6. chambered in inexpensive 22lr
7. girls like the cute little gun

Cons
1. not reliable with most types of common 22lr. decently reliable with CCI mini-mag (as specified in manual), winchester superx. will shoot all other types of 22lr but not reliably
2. magazine is limited to 10 rounds (as with most 22lrs)
3. inaccurate - less than combat accuracy. expect minute of black until 25 yards or so. not much worse than p22 or neos, but far cry from trailside or ruger mkii.
4. multiple safeties (particularly the magazine disconnect)
5. chambered in the puny .22lr
6. girls think your gun is little and cute

conclusions:
If you carry a SIG defensively, this is an excellent practice choice. SIG=Mosquito, 1911=Marvel Conversion, CZ75=Kadet. Your 22LR defensive practice gun should be just like your regular gun. This is not an ideal solution, but does fulfill a necessary space in your toolbox. If this is to a .22LR with no aspirations of defensive practice, then you should consider the Trailside, Buckmark, Kadet, or Ruger MKII. The P22 feels like a kid's toy and doesn't fulfill any real purpose. Try to pay no more than $325 new, $280 used. If you can get it for less than $250 you should buy it regardless of whether you own another SIG.

Here is my Skeeter, pictured with one of my favorite carry guns, the SIG P6.

http://i28.tinypic.com/v3p15v.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/bezju9.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/ot2fig.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/1216gz6.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2nicikh.jpg

Sobriquet
06-30-2008, 5:43 PM
Duenor, thanks for taking the time to post that and the pictures. Much appreciated.

I don't own a Sig yet, but I've been kicking around the idea of a P229. In all likelihood, though, I'll remain loyal to Heckler & Koch when it comes time to pick up my first 9mm.

My HK45 has controls that are very similar to a 1911 in terms of layout and that I keep it in Condition 1 (cocked and locked). I don't have a 1911 to compare it against, but I'm told the grip angle was designed to be identical as well.

I'm mostly interested in getting the .22 to practice trigger control and my sight picture. I know the HK45 isn't too common out here, but I was hoping to get a comment on the trigger feel of the Ruger so I could figure out if shooting the Ruger would actually worsen my .45 shooting.

Thanks again.

maxicon
07-01-2008, 1:27 PM
I've got a Mosquito, a P22, a Ruger MK512 (bull barrel MkII), a CZ Kadet conversion, a Ciener 1911 conversion, several SA .22 revolvers, and several DA .22 revolvers. I like .22 handguns!

My favorite overall is the MK512, which has an Ultradot sight. It's by far the most accurate of the bunch (though the Ruger Single Six 9.5" would probably be close if I could put a red dot on it). It's heavy and is SA, and it's a bit of a pain to break down, but I shoot it until it fails to extract, which takes several thousand rounds, so it's no big deal.

Still, when I want to practice accuracy for pennies a shot, nothing else in my safe comes close.

The Mosquito and P22 are fine, fun shooters (assuming you get a reasonably reliable one), warts and all, but they're just not accurate. The kids like them, but I get bored with them quickly because they spray ammo all over the black, regardless of what you feed them.

They're good for manual of arms practice, as Duenor says, and jam clearing practice, but if you want to practice trigger control, you might as well be throwing rocks for all the help it will be. They just suck at accuracy.

The Ciener and CZ are great for manual of arms practice if you've got a CZ75 or 1911, but they're expensive, especially if you don't have the base gun, and while they're more accurate than the Mosquito and P22, they can't hold a candle to the MK512.

If I had to keep just one of all my .22 handguns, it would be the MK512, no hesitation.

duenor
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
It is actually very strange as to why the Skeeter is so inaccurate. You would think that a fixed barrel, etc, would result in a reasonably accurate gun. but it isn't. the only thing i can think of is that perhaps the skeeter is chambered in 5mm and so .22lr is too small or too big for it.
or, perhaps the action of the whole slide recoiling backwards inevitably throws off the accuracy. i just dont know.

giv1tatry
07-14-2008, 1:13 AM
don't buy one. it sucks. i wish i never had, but i'm a pack rat and can't get rid of anything i buy. my first time out shooting the wrong ammo, though it jammed a whole lot, was accurate, since i've gone to the cci mini mags which is what the manual says to shoot, the jamming issue is gone, but i shoot all over the place now, couldn't hit a 12 oz. soda can from 10 yards out. all my larger caliber pistols up to .45 acp shoot more accurate, or maybe its scattering debris making it look like i hit the target. i have long cancelled gun range and ballistics shooting, and gone to shooting buckets, toilets, rocks, and that sort of stuff, it suits me. but don't get it, theres a reason why sig knocked 100 bucks off the gun. i can't remember what i paid, got it about two years ago or so, thought it'd be like all sigs. oh yeah, its almost the same size as my 226, and i often tell people its a 9mm, gets them every time.
it wasn't made to be accurate anyway, get the trailside. but if you're looking for cool, get the mosquito, all else fails and youre using it in self defense, maybe you could barter with the home invader by offering him a genuine sig pistol along with the wife and kids.

walter
07-14-2008, 11:02 AM
to be perfectly honest i have a mosquito, the reliable is pretty good actually. but it is ammo picky and only fairly accurate. i think the best is a buckmark it feels great in the hand but it looks like sh*t