PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if the "CLIPDRAW" legal in CA?

DVLDOC
06-29-2008, 1:09 AM
Im thinking about buying the "CLIPDRAW" (SEE LINK)

http://www.clipdraw.com/

Im not an LEO but Im just planning to use it while at the range or at home? Are ther any legal issues that I need to worry about?
BTW I dont have a CCW permit.

spsellars
06-29-2008, 1:21 AM
Im not an LEO but Im just planning to use it while at the range or at home? Are ther any legal issues that I need to worry about?

You can carry however you want at home. At the range, you should let them know when you sign in that you plan on practicing drawing from concealment; some ranges don't mind, others do (especially when crowded.)

Practice with snap caps at home too, as I'm sure you noticed there's nothing covering the trigger on a ClipDraw, so pay extra attention to safe finger placement while drawing.

Bobula
06-29-2008, 1:29 AM
It attaches with double stick tape?!?!?!?!
Dont they make one that attaches under the grips for most guns?

DVLDOC
06-29-2008, 1:33 AM
You can carry however you want at home. At the range, you should let them know when you sign in that you plan on practicing drawing from concealment; some ranges don't mind, others do (especially when crowded.)

Practice with snap caps at home too, as I'm sure you noticed there's nothing covering the trigger on a ClipDraw, so pay extra attention to safe finger placement while drawing.

Thanks for the info! I'm just worried that a cop might give me a hard time at the range. But I've seen shooters put their gun inside their pocket at the range as well. I guess having it in my pistol is not a problem. Do you have one yourself? I just wondering if this thing really works.

DVLDOC
06-29-2008, 1:36 AM

I just read their customer reviews and I guess the double sided tape really works!

spsellars
06-29-2008, 1:43 AM
Do you have one yourself? I just wondering if this thing really works.

I actually don't have one, but I've played with a Glock 30 a few times at the range which has one, and it does what it claims. I also have a couple of buddies who swear by them, and they've carried using every sort of IWB holster under the sun. I personally won't carry with it due to the open trigger, but for home use and at the range, it probably isn't such a bad option.

I'm sure someone here has one and will chime in with their opinion in the morning.

spsellars
06-29-2008, 1:46 AM

I've only ever seen them for Glocks (but haven't looked too hard.)

The double side tape was solid on the range gun I used which had it (I actually thought it was stuck on with loctite until I looked it up, couldn't figure out why someone would permanently do that to their gun!) I'm not sure the procedure, but it is removable.

Salty
06-29-2008, 5:55 AM
I thought CCW was legal at "shooting clubs"? I may be wrong though, don't quote me on that.

I know Cordova Shooting Center in Rancho won't even let you put a mag in your pocket. The RO claimed that mag in pocket = CCW. Obviously he's wrong on that note. Anyway, my point being that your right in worrying about what the range thinks.

minotcole
06-29-2008, 8:08 AM

i have been looking for a good conceal holster like this clipdraw but i dont want to put tape on my gun. whats this holster youre talking about??

CHS
06-29-2008, 9:33 AM
I have one of these for 1911. It doesn't work all that great as the grip won't seat fully on top of it because one of the bends in the clipdraw blocks it.

The 1911 version definitely is supposed to sit underneath the right grip panel.

rkt88edmo
06-29-2008, 9:37 AM
I'd go a step further and say that most ranges by default don't let you draw from ANY holster if you are just on the range without special approval - please check with them first.

Librarian
06-29-2008, 1:00 PM
Im thinking about buying the "CLIPDRAW" (SEE LINK)

http://www.clipdraw.com/

Other folks have adequately covered the utility of the thing, I guess, but I wonder: what about the device would cause you to ask if it were "legal in California"?

Using it for concealed carry is one thing. Having it? Why would the legality of it be any different than that of a regular holster?

minotcole
06-29-2008, 8:37 PM
does anybody use this on a P2000sk??

DVLDOC
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
what about the device would cause you to ask if it were "legal in California"?

Using it for concealed carry is one thing. Having it? Why would the legality of it be any different than that of a regular holster?

I just wanted to be sure before I buy something because there are way too much crap that's illegal in CA that are legal in other states. I also checked CLIPDRAW's TESTIMONIALS on their website and most of the customers that bought their product are LEO.

BTW, I already changed my mind about buying this thing. Im just going for the FOBUS HOLSTER for my pistol. Thank you, EVERYONE! for all the info.

Roccobro
06-30-2008, 9:21 AM
It is a great item for a small snubby with a 10# trigger pull.

Justin

swatpup102
09-10-2008, 3:53 AM
Found this post on a google search and thought I would throw some thoughts in. I have a clipdraw on my bersa thunder 9 and I love it. I am in ohio and have a ccw, and figuring out if I can legally use it as "holstered" is still in the works. I have the universal sticky clipdraw and it holds and works great. I have taken it off once with re adjustment and it doesn't leave anything behind when you remove it. I did have to cut the strip that applies the clip itself a little to fit because it was a tight space, but it's working and holding with no trouble. Gotta give a big A+ for the clipdraw.

Turbinator
09-14-2008, 9:17 AM
Found this post on a google search and thought I would throw some thoughts in. I have a clipdraw on my bersa thunder 9 and I love it. I am in ohio and have a ccw, and figuring out if I can legally use it as "holstered" is still in the works. I have the universal sticky clipdraw and it holds and works great. I have taken it off once with re adjustment and it doesn't leave anything behind when you remove it. I did have to cut the strip that applies the clip itself a little to fit because it was a tight space, but it's working and holding with no trouble. Gotta give a big A+ for the clipdraw.

Welcome from Ohio, I hope you stay awhile and enjoy your visits.

Turby

VegasND
09-14-2008, 9:27 AM
I've got one for 1911s. It's in a box because I don't like it. The pistol moves around too much and it doesn't provide any reassurance that the pistol is safe.

I also have the Kel-Tec clip on my P3AT--I'm left handed and I think it's also rather useless. However, with the much smaller pistol it doesn't seem as insecure and the pistol doesn't move nearly as much. That clip doesn't bother me so I've not taken it off, but the last time my wife fired the pistol (right handed) it nicked her hand and drew a bit of blood. So, it will be coming off too.

I've chosen to use a quality holster.

tyrist
09-14-2008, 9:53 AM
It is very legal however, it is not a good idea. Carrying a firearm without having the trigger covered is just asking for an accident/negligent discharge. Better to get a good quality in the waist band holster rather than this; especially if your firearm is single action only.

SJgunguy24
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I'll stick with my Bladetech, more secure and no exposed trigger.

Sobriquet
09-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Worst product idea EVER. Attaches with tape and doesn't cover the trigger on a - of all guns - Glock? Not only no, but he** no.

technique
09-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Yup, got one for the glock and one for the 1911

Welcome

saki302
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
The universal one using tape works SURPRISINGLY well. I have it on 2 guns, including the Kahr P9 in the for sale secion, and it's been on there for years.

The trigger is exposed, but I've carried that P9 on job sites (I OWN!) many many times with no issues.
The thing is, DO NOT do it on guns without either a safety, or a long heavier trigger pull. I would not trust my Glock carried loaded in that manner. On a revolver, it makes perfect sense.
It's unlikely you'd snag your glock trigger, but on my impromptu testing, I was able to trip the trigger doing several unlikely things. I was not able to trip the Kahr or revolver trigger no matter what strange things I tried (handle of hammer, key ring, thumb jammed in pant side).

-Dave

SVTNate
09-15-2008, 1:04 AM
I have a CCW and I carry a concealed weapon every day. I have done plenty of defensive handgun training courses, most of it being holster work and drawing from a concealed holster.

ClipDraw is a terrible idea for reasons already discussed. No trigger protection, which means you'd want to use that idiotic Safety Block, another terrible idea, weapon retention is poor, weapon position is inconsistent, draw varies depending on the material and thickness of the pants you're wearing on any given day. My suggestion is to forget it, and get a real IWB or OWB holster.

saki302
09-15-2008, 2:57 AM
Have you actually tried one? For the J-frame revolver, it's is absolutely brilliant- conceals much better than nay holster- retention is not an issue- mine never fell out on a construction site.

Like I said though, I wouldn't use it on any Glock. There are a few thin Kydex and leather ones which work very well.

-Dave

pullnshoot25
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
I have one for one Makarov that is set up for SOB carry. The tape really does work well and the Mak is safe due to that nice and heavy commie trigger :)

I would be scared shatless do use that with a Glock.

saki302
09-15-2008, 4:09 PM
PS- anyone know who sells the actual tape they use for the universal unit? That stuff sticks like welding :D

-Dave

loosewreck
09-15-2008, 8:07 PM
3MŽ VERY HIGH BOND (VHB) TAPES (http://www.uline.com/Group_240.asp), 'nough said. :D

PS- anyone know who sells the actual tape they use for the universal unit? That stuff sticks like welding :D

-Dave

pipskicks
09-16-2008, 1:24 AM
I thought CCW was legal at "shooting clubs"? I may be wrong though, don't quote me on that.

I know Cordova Shooting Center in Rancho won't even let you put a mag in your pocket. The RO claimed that mag in pocket = CCW. Obviously he's wrong on that note. Anyway, my point being that your right in worrying about what the range thinks.

#1. I've never heard of it being legal, maybe it is though, that's really cool if it is.

#2. loaded mag = loaded gun, look it up, don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure it's in the books b/c I did a lot of research.

big50_1
09-16-2008, 8:37 AM
Not sure if gun-in-the-pocket is legal or illegal on a range but gun-in-the-pants is always a good idea!